Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

London next week - Looking to find a vintage smoking jacket 48

jcwalsh

New in Town
Hello All,

This is my first post but I have been lurking for several weeks and recently purchased a LW Buco Rider jacket after discovering them on this forum. The jacket should be delivered while I am away so I will have a nice present when I get home.

I am going to be in London next week and had hopes of finding a vintage smoking jacket or dinner jacket. Problem is I am 6'3" 48L. I did find several shops on the web and viewed their inventory with no luck.

My question is there an area that has a abundance of vintage shops so I can concentrate my search?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
abundance of vintage shops

Off the top of my head, maybe try Hornets if you haven't already - they have a lot of great items in stock. They've two or three shops within a short walk of each other and they're worth visiting. You might not find a smoking jacket, but you'll probably see a few other things you could use. ;)

Edward

Bartender
TBH, I wouldn't hold out much hope of finding a vintage example in your size. New ones are available in a number of places (New & Lingwood on Jermyn Street in particular), but they are expensive; expect to pay at least £500 and upwards for the likes of a Faverbrook. Seem to be quite a few folks on Etsy making them now; I've seen a fair few that look nice in photos at least (as ever, caveat emptor), in and around £150-£250.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I was also going to suggest Hornets, because it's their sort of thing. Also try Old Hat in Fulham, but I haven't been there for some time. Maybe Victory Vintage? They are all in West London.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Size 48L is likely going to be a bit difficult. I only know Victory Vintage from their ebay presence, but I'd suggest calling them to ask what they have in your size. From what I could gather, they have a large inventory of evening clothes - dinner clothes, full dress and the occasional smoking jacket.

Which one are you looking for anyway, a dinner jacket or a smoking (= velvet) jacket?
A dinner suit in your size should be much easier to find than a smoking jacket, and cheaper, too.

Claudio

Vendor
If you really want vintage try the Stables MArket in Camden. I know Camden has gotten bad hype in the last years but I was there last week as I took my teenage daughter to show her where I used to trade from, and it is still worth a shot for those looking for vintage IMO.

Edward

Bartender
Just be wary of the pricing in the Stables, it's rocketed in recent years. Lst time I was there, there were the last few surviving stalls of Old Camden, before it was gutted and turned into a minime Covent Garden for tourists, with more stalls selling smelly candles and art for people who aren't into art than anything else, though prices have definitely gone up significantly. Presumably rents have soared since they gussied the place up. The food stalls are still pretty good and cheap, though, and last I was there there was still at least one decent army surplus place that was worth a look.

AntonAAK

Practically Family
I second (or third?) the Hornet's suggestion. It is still a long shot but they are more likely to have one in your size than anybody else.

Claudio

Vendor
Just be wary of the pricing in the Stables, it's rocketed in recent years. Lst time I was there, there were the last few surviving stalls of Old Camden, before it was gutted and turned into a minime Covent Garden for tourists, with more stalls selling smelly candles and art for people who aren't into art than anything else, though prices have definitely gone up significantly. Presumably rents have soared since they gussied the place up. The food stalls are still pretty good and cheap, though, and last I was there there was still at least one decent army surplus place that was worth a look.

Actually was speakign to my mate that runs his shop there and prices havent changed from when I was trading there 10 years ago ( + £50) . Put it this way, if you have cool clothes they want you there and so are easy on you with rents. Also Stables managers have changed since and so these new guys want nice stuff there so charge you less if you bring some extra quality to the Stables (rather than the nth candle-basic vintage etc that are so wide spread). Thought Portobello market under tha canopy was super expesnive for some of the rarer 20's - 40's stuff which is understandable, but were in hiddeous conditions (only useful to designers wanting to copy)

Edward

Bartender
Porotbello can be hit and miss. I've had some fantastic bargains round that area under the Westway / around the Westway arcade, but it can be patchy. Camden sounds like it's improved in the last eighteen months... I must go up for a wonder soon. I'm still tempted to have a go with those fish that eat the hard skin off feet.... Those were everywhere last time I was there!

MarkL

One of the Regulars
Jeff:

I have a passion for smoking jackets and have a sizeable collection, mostly between 44 and 46 chest size. I'll be anxious to hear how you faired in finding something in London. If you have no luck, send me a private message and I might have a couple of sources for you here in the States. I wish you great luck and I'll be anxious to hear what you find! Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy