Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Long Vintage Hair

laurakitty

Familiar Face
laurakitty said:
I just did this- I hope it works! I've been looking for a way to get pretty vintage looking hair with my long straight thick hair so I hope that this is the one. At least I look cute with my hair up in the scarf- if it looks good tomorrow I will post a photo.

Alright, no luck- a few curls but they aren't even and there are quite a few chunks of my regular hair. Guess I will have to try again tonight...

laurakitty

Familiar Face
Curling Irons

For those who use curling irons to make Veronica Lake waves, which size do you use? I'm trying to decide between 1.5" or 2". I currently have 1/2", which is way too small to do anything on my hair with.

Miss Caroline

Familiar Face
laurakitty said:
Alright, no luck- a few curls but they aren't even and there are quite a few chunks of my regular hair. Guess I will have to try again tonight...

i did this and it worked. But it was raining so it all dropped out by the time I got to work.
:(

Lillemor

One Too Many
I think I've been placing the rollers wrong in the back and brushing too much. Should they be vertical in the back and sides from the crown and down and not brushed through for fool proof look?

Sorry if I shouldn't ask here but I use rollers and don't pin curl because barrel curls look better on me; need the height on top.

I had the worst set yesterday. The day before the set was pretty good but camera was acting up and it was dry set with just a bit of mousse so it didn't last long.

The velcro rollers fall out and just give wave even though I have them in medium and large diameter. The foam rollers give tight frizz, the frames fall off and they're hell to unwind if I don't have enough hair wound around them.

My MIL might give me her old wire rolls with brushes inside which I'm really excited about. I hope they grip better and that the pins can hold them in place. She may also have a/some rat(s). I'm hoping...Because right now width at the side is always an issue and I'd prefer to just roll the sides up to take away the width even though that's more 40s and I mainly dress 50s.

Last year she point blank refused to admit to ever having done anything to aid the appearance of her natural curls.lol

Fifties*Freak

Familiar Face
Thanks ShoreRoadLady!
Rachael, Sorry I have taken to long to respond, things have been hectic for me with a baby on the way and almost here! What exactly did you want to know? How to do the rolls or how I make it look shorter in the ponytail? I can write it out for you or take some pics to show you.
For me it is easier when I see a pic tutorial as I am a visual person. =)

Lillemor

One Too Many
Now that my hair's long enough to pull into a ponytail I usually run mousse through it, pull it into a ponytail, tuck the end under the scrunchy, rush around like a mad in the morning and then ½ hr. 1 hr. later I have the cutest curl at the end of my ponytail when I free the end from the scruncy and I just give the curl a quick blast with the hair dryer.

Lots of women walk around with plain ponytails and random strands flying here and there and great for them if that's their style but I just think this makes it look a bit more retro and finished. I pull it back up into a bun when I have to go out because I still have to wear a knit hat.

Stacy

New in Town
What can I do with long hair?

Hey, I'm new here. I really want to do something with my hair. I like having long hair, and I really don't want to cut much off. But I want something with a 50's feel to it. I have really thick hair that curls real good if that helps any. Is there any way I could keep my length and still have that old style? Here's what my hair looks like now
075-1-1.jpg

sweatyspaghetti

Familiar Face
you can do a Veronica Lake look,like this one:
Veronica_Lake_1.jpg

but aiming more towards the 50's,you can cheat a short hairstyle by geting layers as short as the middle of your face,it really does work.:D

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
I used to have super long hair, and I admit, there wasn't much I could do with it. I suppose that's why I have chin length hair now! However, a few years ago when I did have long hair, I would just use a curling iron to flip the ends under and then I would put in in a ponytail with a ribbon. This picture isn't a very good example, but this was taken about three years ago. The whole outfit was thrown together in a few minutes, and I had just started collecting vintage, so I didn't have much to play with. My friend did my hair for me in the bathroom with one of those spiral curling irons
p36303b.jpg

I'm in the green dress
n17221994_32772832_6016.jpg

n17221994_32772824_3814.jpg

I'm sure if I had brushed my hair out, I've have some nice waves [huh]

BabyGirlDahlia

New in Town
Long Vintage Hair Help.

Hey. I've never posted on her before so, here it goes.

My hair reaches to about my bust line, and it's so hard to do anything with my hair, plus it's super thick. I have shorter bangs, but I'm growning them out-they bearly reach my nose.
If you have any helpful tips, I would love them!
Thanks.

XOXO-BGD

RosebudMarie

New in Town
You might try layering it to thin out the thickness some. I saw a tutorial on youtube that showed easy ways to do it yourself. I think one had you put the hair in a high ponytail and cut it straight across. When I tried that it came out really well.

Once you layer it, it might be easier to curl it with sponge or pillow rollers.

I'm discovering you can learn almost anything on Youtube these days - for better or worse.

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
I can relate; my hair's to my waist now, and we have a real love-hate relationship! Yes, layering will help with manageability for achieving vintage styles (assuming that's what you're after...?).

For getting curls, I've had the most success with rag curls. I use about 25 strips of fabric (though for thicker hair you may need more) and I cut them extra big (about 10 inches long and 2 inches wide) to fit all my hair.

For day when I can't be bothered to set it, a chignon is my best friend. I look to the long-haired Follies girls and actresses of the teens and 20s for much of my hair inspiration; also, a low chignon at the nape of the neck is great for giving the illusion of a bob.

RosebudMarie

New in Town
I've seen some styles where the length of the hair is put in rollers just to the chin to get that fluffy curly at the shoulder thing of the 40's.

Auburn-Jane

New in Town
long classic hair

Hello all!

I currently have long straight hair about past the breast area and all one length, It has a late 60's or medevil maiden look because its free and has been left alone for some time.

Lauren5.jpg

Id like to have my hair cut in a Lauren Bacall or Veronica lake type of cut because my hairs naturally straight so it will be easier to style. the problem is that I havent found a cut diagram for those styles to show to a stylist. As far as I know its different then how they cut today because it has to be evenly cut and not feathered. any suggestions on what I should tell the stylist?

Yellow.jpg

where can I find one of these diagrams, and if anyone has one, could you please send it?

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Is something weird going on with posting link to other lounge threads? There are two links listed in this thread and none seem to be related to what is being discussed. Is this an upgrade issue? Just wondering? Has anyone seen this problem on any other threads?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24