Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a hat....

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Okey dokey...first of all....I'm not sure if the ladies are allowed to post in this section...I haven't seen very many so....heres hoping.

Second: I hope threads like this are allowed :eek:

Third: I'm looking for a hat.I have a fedora (purchased at DEBS shops, so it's a modern fedora with pinstripes) and while I love it, It is really a tall hat, and I was wondering if they
A: make lower/shorter fedoras
B: if anyone would know where I could buy one.

Thanks and I hope you guys can help!:D

RBH

Bartender
Welcome and of course you can post here.
Check out some of the shops that are at the top of the page i.e. Fedora Store - Bencraft ect.

here is one that I think would look great on a lady.

Cagney-StefenoHeadwear.jpg

http://www.bencrafthats.com/product.php?pid=199&subcname=Felt+Hats

They will be glad to help you.

Justdog

Practically Family
Fedora

Caity Lynn said:
Okey dokey...first of all....I'm not sure if the ladies are allowed to post in this section...I haven't seen very many so....heres hoping.

Second: I hope threads like this are allowed :eek:

Third: I'm looking for a hat.I have a fedora (purchased at DEBS shops, so it's a modern fedora with pinstripes) and while I love it, It is really a tall hat, and I was wondering if they
A: make lower/shorter fedoras
B: if anyone would know where I could buy one.

Thanks and I hope you guys can help!:D
You'll get tons of help suggestions here. What is your size(hat size) color preference size of brim lined unlined hat favorite style and crease?

Enjoy:)

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Justdog said:
You'll get tons of help suggestions here. What is your size(hat size) color preference size of brim lined unlined hat favorite style and crease?

Enjoy:)

Thanks for the help and...I have no clue what most of that is...and I don't know my size :eek:

This is me in the hat I have now

oddhatpic1-1.jpg

(lol, Ignore the makeup, We were goofing around) and I'd like pretty much the same thing, in mainly black (pin stripes, plain black or plain all would be fine as well) only shorter.

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
:) I guess you need to find out your size first. Just a get a measuring tape as usually used by a tailor and measure the circumference of your head on the area just above your ear. Many online hat store also provide specific instruction on how to do this. Anyway, as far as I know most ladies' hat are sold in one-size fits-all, or medium. If you're not a statuesque amazon :D I presume your size is about 7 or 7 1/8 at the most.

Need lower crown? Try porkpie style, either in straw or felt. RBH's suggestion is worth looking too.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with tall crown on you:) you look very nice in that pic :)

kaosharper1

One Too Many
I'd suggest a porkpie hat with a snap brim. You can pick up nice ones on ebay. Being a lady you could also find a good vintage hat since they usually come in small sizes.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
In addition to measuring your head to determine your hat size you might want to measure the dimensions of your current hat (crown height (front and rear) and brim length) in order to have a frame of reference if you plan to shop online. Of course if locally convenient it would be to your advantage to visit a well stocked hat shop and try on an assortment of different styles and colors; that's really the best method to find a suitable hat.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
If you're willing to try mens hats, once you figure out your size (only pull the tape measure as tight as you'd want the hat to be), try searching Dobbs and Stetson brands at places like Bencraft and the Fedora Store websites. There are plenty of low crown fedoras and porkies to be had.

For ladies fedoras and such, try;
http://www.e4hats.com/

And look in every category that uses the word fedora or bucket hat, because many of the hats are not cross-listed for some reason.

Oh, and tell your friends that the ladies are always welcome here. :)

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Thank you gentlemen so much for the assistance, you've given some great info! I'm afraid hats are a foreign language to me!

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Caity -

It's been my observation that women, especially those like you, look smashing in men's hats...or any hats.

Here's a shot of my Carole in a hat I was planning to sell:

Don't go away! We like having you here. And I think it would be great to see more photos of you or other women in hats.

- Bill

carter

I'll Lock Up
FYI

I like a lot of the ladies' hats at the shushan.com website.

http://www.shushans.com/parkhurstwinter.html
http://www.shushans.com/parkhurst.html
http://www.shushans.com/scalaspring.html
http://www.shushans.com/scalafall.html
http://www.shushans.com/sandiegohat.html

Here's what Shushan's has posted regarding ladies' hats.

"HAT TIPS FOR WOMEN

It is the opinion of everyone here at Shushan's that you should wear what you like. Hats should be fun! But - here's what the fashion experts say:
Petite women should wear small brimmed, small crowned hats.
If you want to look taller, go for a little higher crown with a slope crease.
Tall women should wear wider brimmed, shorter crowned hats.
Full figured women should avoid high crowns and go with curled brims and dramatic creases.
If you have a long face, put a big curl in your brim and keep away from narrow brims.
If you have a round face, go with a higher crown, but stay away from round brims.
If you have a triangular face, go with a small brim with a big roll and a high crown.
If you have a square face, try a peaked crown and a curled brim, and wear your hat at an angle.
If you have an oval face, you've got the perfect face for any hat you want to wear.
Whatever way you go, never wear your hat on the back of your head. Tilt it, pull it down, or wear it straight.
"

Justdog

Practically Family
Hats

Caity Lynn said:
Thanks for the help and...I have no clue what most of that is...and I don't know my size :eek:

This is me in the hat I have now

oddhatpic1-1.jpg

(lol, Ignore the makeup, We were goofing around) and I'd like pretty much the same thing, in mainly black (pin stripes, plain black or plain all would be fine as well) only shorter.

First off you look great and your style is personalized and refreshingly individual.
Looks like stingy brims from the 60"s suit you. The one you are wearing is quite modern and suits you perfectly.. Although it appears you could probably wear anything and make it look good. So just take some time to look as 60,s hats on eBay for vintage and search through hat sellers on the net. If your lucky you might have a local hatter around your area to measure your head and present you with some choices. Have fun welcome to hats. Your avatar is great as well.:)

Aerol

A-List Customer
You might want to check out Urban Outfitters or H & M. They seem to have hats similar to the one you're wearing.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I think I should change the name of this thread from "looking for a hat" to "My Never Ending Quest for a Hat." I've been severely disappointed TWICE this weekend.I went to visit my Grandmother, who offered me a BEAUTIFUL black felt fedora of my grandfathers. The crown wasn't too tall, the brim was perfectly shaped...and it was way too small!!!

Then I went to the mall...walked into a store and found yet another "perfect" hat. Charcoal with a black and white hat band.It was far to LARGE, as were a few of the others on the rack. I'm determined I WILL find a perfect hat though :D

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Too Bad.....

That's too bad that your Grandfather's hat didn't fit you. That would've been perfect, to carry on the tradition for him. If it's not that small though, you know they could be stretched......[huh] What size was his?

Justdog

Practically Family
Hat size

The great advice about measuring your existing hat and posting it here or keeping it for your reference is important. If you can measure your head with a seamstress tape that would help. We could be of more assistance if we new your preference and hat size.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland