Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a new Cafe Racer, what am I missing?

pawineguy

One Too Many
And thank you for all of the input, it certainly helps me find clarity. Even if I don't take some of the advice, going through this process is extremely helpful and reminds me of things I like and dislike about many of these jackets. Keep it coming.

I'm not sure about the Cal-Leathers design, I have to find some more pictures of it and see if it grows on me.

You can talk to good people of Cal Leathers regarding any ideas you have. Don't know if they'll deviate from their patterns, but possibly so as they were supplying PD's, and as far as the details go, you can have them do whatever you'd like. Plus there's no 11 years wait time. Drop them a mail. Kindest people in the business. Toughest jackets money can buy, too. In many ways much better option than Langlitz.

There's also Bates for you to consider. Another company that's been in business for like a hundred years. They also do professional racing leather suits, not just that cosplay stuff, so you know they know their stuff. Difficult to find any good photos of their beautiful CR's online, but I know for a fact they're easy to work with and will fully customize your jacket any way you'd like. They're more open to customization than anyone else I've emailed. Not to mention Bates makes outstanding stuff.

Forgot to add; give some of these other guys a chance. Email them and see for yourself. Don't cost you nothing and you'll see they're really, really great people that are willing to work with you. Open to whatever ideas you may have as they really love what they do. I always see people here going with the usual suspects, but you'd be surprised how much more some of these other companies offer than these same two or three brands that constantly get tossed around here.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Ooh, Cal Leathers is stationed driving distance from my new pad. Monitor, do you know what kind of leather they use? If it's finished or naked?

pawineguy

One Too Many
You can talk to good people of Cal Leathers regarding any ideas you have. Don't know if they'll deviate from their patterns, but possibly so as they were supplying PD's, and as far as the details go, you can have them do whatever you'd like. Plus there's no 11 years wait time. Drop them a mail. Kindest people in the business. Toughest jackets money can buy, too. In many ways much better option than Langlitz.

There's also Bates for you to consider. Another company that's been in business for like a hundred years. They also do professional racing leather suits, not just that cosplay stuff, so you know they know their stuff. Difficult to find any good photos of their beautiful CR's online, but I know for a fact they're easy to work with and will fully customize your jacket any way you'd like. They're more open to customization than anyone else I've emailed. Not to mention Bates makes outstanding stuff.

I don't want to put you on the spot, but saying that Cal Leathers is a better option than Langlitz in many ways leads me to ask for more details... in which ways are they that much better than Langlitz? And yes, I will email them and see what they could do for me.

Nick, AFAIK, both. They offer few different types of leather. I think they offer both horse and cow in naked and finished leather, but I could be mistaken. I know for a fact though you get to choose the thickness and the softness of the hides they work with.

Pawine, no problem. :D Apart from what I said above; horsehide, better prices and some crazy features I only see them do. Like fur sleeve cuffs. Or throat protectors. And again, Cal Leathers is known for making the toughest motorcycle jackets on the planet.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Pawine, no problem. :D Apart from what I said above; horsehide, better prices and some crazy features I only see them do. Like fur sleeve cuffs. Or throat protectors. And again, Cal Leathers is known for making the toughest motorcycle jackets on the planet.

Thanks Monitor, I'm composing an email to them in a couple of minutes. I like the look of the Ventura, but swapping in the collar from the cafe racer. I'll keep you updated.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
There is somewhat of a dichotomy between choosing a CR that is cool looking with elegant simplicity to wear around town but really needing a Michelin Man suit in the event you go airborne with the cycle going one way and you the other, elbows over buttocks. :eeek: So, I suppose the question you much ask yourself is what needs to be added to a basic, understated CR to provide adequate safety for its intended use, and what compromises you are willing to make at either end of the spectrum. You are now far more of an expert on cafe racers than 99% of the rest of us, and we'll all be interested to see what you come up with. ;)

pawineguy

One Too Many
There is somewhat of a dichotomy between choosing a CR that is cool looking with elegant simplicity to wear around town but really needing a Michelin Man suit in the event you go airborne with the cycle going one way and you the other, elbows over buttocks. :eeek: So, I suppose the question you much ask yourself is what needs to be added to a basic, understated CR to provide adequate safety for its intended use, and what compromises you are willing to make at either end of the spectrum. You are now far more of an expert on cafe racers than 99% of the rest of us, and we'll all be interested to see what you come up with. ;)

That is exactly the conundrum. Ideally I'd find something simple and tough, and with the right fit to slide a very low profile armored shirt underneath. I've got a couple of good conversations started with manufacturers, I'll keep everyone appraised when I decide.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
That is exactly the conundrum. Ideally I'd find something simple and tough, and with the right fit to slide a very low profile armored shirt underneath. I've got a couple of good conversations started with manufacturers, I'll keep everyone appraised when I decide.

I have been riding with one of these under my leather jackets for a few years:

https://www.planet-knox.com/product/venture-shirt-motorbike-gear/

Great bit of gear, fits a chest protector to, you can barely feel its there.

I also have this back protector for when i just ride around town, highest protection level available and suepr comfy to.

https://www.planet-knox.com/product/track-motorcycle-vest-with-back-protector/

pawineguy

One Too Many
I have been riding with one of these under my leather jackets for a few years:

https://www.planet-knox.com/product/venture-shirt-motorbike-gear/

Great bit of gear, fits a chest protector to, you can barely feel its there.

I also have this back protector for when i just ride around town, highest protection level available and suepr comfy to.

https://www.planet-knox.com/product/track-motorcycle-vest-with-back-protector/

Exactly, I have this same shirt and also a Bohn. Both do a great job and are extremely low profile.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Why not use protective gear described above by Carlos and go with the basic, uncluttered cafe racer that does not scream "BIKER" when out and around on the town?

pawineguy

One Too Many
Why not use protective gear described above by Carlos and go with the basic, uncluttered cafe racer that does not scream "BIKER" when out and around on the town?

That's basically what I do and plan to continue to do, but I need that jacket to be tough as nails also to protect from road rash, etc... some of the jackets I own look great but I know will disintegrate in a crash, and others are very tough but are off the rack and don't fit as well as a custom jacket would. Whatever direction I go in, it will be a fairly straightforward design, but with perhaps some unique details to make it my own.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
That's basically what I do and plan to continue to do, but I need that jacket to be tough as nails also to protect from road rash, etc... some of the jackets I own look great but I know will disintegrate in a crash, and others are very tough but are off the rack and don't fit as well as a custom jacket would. Whatever direction I go in, it will be a fairly straightforward design, but with perhaps some unique details to make it my own.

Given the degree of customization you seek, I would likely go with someone in the US. Perhaps Alan at JL could send you a fit jacket from which to proceed. If you go with another Langlitz, the Cascade you currently own could be used as the initial point of reference. I think a number of us are vicariously suffering through this experience with you, myself included. :D

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

I think people get carried away when it comes to "toughness" of leather regarding crashes.
Have a look at a racing suite, they aren't super thick, they actually are thinner and softer than FQHH, and have stretch panels everywhere.
Look at some racing gloves, like the Held Phantom, they are super thin but still have been crash tested by hundreds if not thousands of riders.

Leather doesn't need to be super thick to survive abrasion, as long as the stitching is of quality most decent leather jackets should protect you.

Also, i said it before and i'll say it again, but in a road crash, what will most likely hurt you is the collision with a guard rail/ lamp post/ car/ curb.
Yes, on a track you might slide along for a hundred meter and wear through your leathers, but on the road you are going to hit something before you manage to grind through your jacket.
Which is why IMO on the streets you are better off having good armour than thick leather.

All that to say, don't worry to much about leather thickness and "tough as nails", just go for a jacket that you like, that is well constructed, and that allows you to wear armour underneath.

There is a huge difference between racing MotoGP with nothing but Tarmac and sand and human-designed barriers and streets.
The road is not as forgiving. But believe it - those track suits are tough as hell, just very polished and streamlined fit.
Most if the time, those guys are sliding in a fairly controlled fashion with no rocks, rubbish, and other dangers that one faces on the street.
Like I said, seams are bad and so are thin hides. You also don't want a jacket to fit loosely.
I wear heavy leather zipped 365 days a year. Even in 105° SoCal heat. Which happens to be the time of year I went down, twice. Gear saved me from skin grafts and years of pain. A little sweat is a decent trade off.
You may want to look at perforated leather, which is what I got in my last vanson and hein gerrick jackets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner