Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a shearling jacket for winter, any advice for B3,B6,D1 or other?

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
84FA8DFB-FF55-410F-8A5C-776266328FAD.jpeg
Anj-4 which I am told can be had with shorter shearling from some makers

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Nice jacket! It's great that you can wear a B-3 in the south of France. I wouldn't have thought it possible.

Thanks, we often have wind between 50 and 100 km/h, so we loose a lot of degree just because of the windchill and the lighter shearling also make it possible to wear the B3 during winter.

I hesitated between the B6 and the B3. But my friends convinced me to order the B3 they thought the B6 was too bland compare to the B3.

carl_c

Familiar Face
I ordered direct from Aero once with an off the rack jacket. I forgot about customs. Also, when the jacket didn't fit right, I had to pay a hefty sum to do the return shipment.

With Thurston Bros you can make the down payment and start with a fit jacket so you know exactly what you'll be getting. When one in-stock jacket didn't work from Thurston, Carrie helped me figure out which measurements I could change and what Aero would allow. It was so much easier doing that with her than coordinating with Aero in a 6-hour time difference. Plus, when I order a custom Aero through Thurston, they handle all the paperwork, shipping, and customs. They build that into the price. If it's something they have in-stock, you might get a small deal (e.g. $50 off) than ordering direct through Aero when you include shipping/customs.

Bfd70 is right; none of these will handle all weather. Again, I find the D1 and B6 to be more versatile that the B3. Those lighter weight shearlings can be worn with just a t-shirt under them without getting cold. On the other hand, I once shoveled snow wearing my B3 and a t-shirt. Within about 10 minutes I was sweating, had the B-3 unzipped and was ready to take it off! That should also speak to the (in)flexibility of the B3. Yes, they can be cumbersome due to their bulk, but I can shovel wearing one.

Here are some pics of the my B3, old D1, my new D1, and my old B6. I still need to get pics of my new B6, but I gotta do it without my husband knowing I bought yet another Aero jacket. I've become very partial to redskin.

Aero B-3 Size 40
(ref: I have a 37" chest and this 40 fits like a dream)
04IN2Snl.png

LHjk9pwl.png

Aero D-1 Size 40 (sold it)
G0P9HDYl.jpg

Aero D-1 Size 38 (custom measurements)
gnr0aE3l.png

Aero B-6 Size 38 (sold it)
2LJGqYWl.jpg

I think all these fit perfect on you, I personally think the red D1 look better.

carl_c

Familiar Face
From Aero and yes it was a custom order, really worth it!
Cool! I didn't know that's an option, B3 looks wilder than D1 and B6 IMO. And if I end up getting a B3, I will probably ask them to add a pocket inside for my wallet or phone. BTW, do you have more pictures of your B3? Really curious about the details.

carl_c

Familiar Face
Thanks! Here's the pic of the new redskin B-6. It looks looser than the D-1 I currently own because the D-1 was custom made and a size smaller than this B-6.

cGyIrK4l.jpg

I personally think this one looks even better than the red D1 because of the longer body length. So are these the difference between D1 and B6?D1 is shorter, and slightly different style and pocket.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
D1 has a boxier shape and is slightly longer and no waist cinchers. Apart from that, there’s little difference. Can I throw a curve ball in: the RAF Irvin is in my opinion a great midway point between the B-3 an D-1. Really flexible with its belt and sleeve zips. Fully-trussed up, I wore in the depths of the Beast from the East last year and did not feel a thing!

powersci

One of the Regulars
I personally think this one looks even better than the red D1 because of the longer body length. So are these the difference between D1 and B6?D1 is shorter, and slightly different style and pocket.

I added an extra inch to the D-1. It's meant to be short. It may be surprising to know that both my D1 and B6 have the same back length at 26". Yet, each one lands differently on my body. It's probably a reflection of the size difference more than the style. I think my D-1 has narrower shoulders.

As Sloan mentioned, the B6 does have side zips at the waist. It also has snaps on the cuffs and a gusseted back. Here's the difference in the back: The latter increases your arm movement.

Aero D1 Back
Tpy2Oiel.png

Aero B6 Back
kRBt6MTl.jpg

The D1 does have a different pattern on the arm, too. But you can have that made however you want. You can compare images of the arm on the D1 below to the arm on the B6 above.

Aero D1 Arm
gv5iXKtl.jpg

A seal brown B6 was the first Aero jacket I owned so I take preference to it. I outgrew my old one so I'm glad to have one again!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I’d check eBay and see if there are sheepskin flight jackets from Pakistan for a third of the price. That’ll give you an idea.

carl_c

Familiar Face
I added an extra inch to the D-1. It's meant to be short. It may be surprising to know that both my D1 and B6 have the same back length at 26". Yet, each one lands differently on my body. It's probably a reflection of the size difference more than the style. I think my D-1 has narrower shoulders.

As Sloan mentioned, the B6 does have side zips at the waist. It also has snaps on the cuffs and a gusseted back. Here's the difference in the back: The latter increases your arm movement.

Aero D1 Back
Tpy2Oiel.png

Aero B6 Back
kRBt6MTl.jpg

The D1 does have a different pattern on the arm, too. But you can have that made however you want. You can compare images of the arm on the D1 below to the arm on the B6 above.

Aero D1 Arm
gv5iXKtl.jpg

A seal brown B6 was the first Aero jacket I owned so I take preference to it. I outgrew my old one so I'm glad to have one again!

Thanks man! I made up my mind with a lightweight B3 thanks to SpeedRcrX, what's your B3 color combination? I searched on the internet, and found I like the trim color to be Russet (the most 'yellow' one), but I also like Redskin, I never find a photo of Redskin/Russet combination, don't know if it still get the beautiful color contrast as the Seal/Russet. Any idea?

Brettafett

One Too Many
I’d check eBay and see if there are sheepskin flight jackets from Pakistan for a third of the price. That’ll give you an idea.
The company they had make their A2s certainly weren't shy about openly undercutting them factory direct.

Sure, you can find anything you want in Pakistan, get what you pay for... Don't be fooled though, it won't be the same thing.
AVI uses original jackets, to make their patterns from, so at least you'd get a pretty authentic pattern/ a proper original-maker repro attempt, (not just a vague-resemblance or copy-of-a-copy)... And developed and managed by someone who clearly is interested in the genre and the details, not just a shop to make something any fool will buy.
I am sure they've learned a lesson also, and will be more careful with their new manufacturer... The last guy handed out that Bronco pattern to everyone and his Aunt.
If they do decide to make a sheepskin, it will be interesting to see how it turns out. Indeed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana