Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for a small fedora

Ugarte

A-List Customer
My 11-y.o. son has landed a spot on his school's "newspaper". He has a dressy kind of event to cover next Friday (2/29/08) as a reporter and somewhere he picked up the idea that he would like to wear a fedora with a "Press Pass" tucked into the band.

I need an inexpensive fedora in a 6 5/8", preferably brown, for the boy. I don't want to spend big $$ on a nice hat since he will likely outgrow it by this summer and it isn't likely to be taken care of.

Any suggestions out there? And did I mention I need it really soon? :)

Thanks.

Mark

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
I believe there are plenty of nice fedoras at 6 7/8 size in ebay, and I'm sure I do see 6 5/8 sometimes. But considering your situation I don't think vintage is necessary, any modern prod. hat will do. So any online hat store will be just the right place to browse.

I also once saw a site called www.littlelids.com - it specializes on children hat... maybe you can find something there.

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Thanks for the link. Some cool stuff there, but nothing we really like. I'm working ebay, but I need it pretty quickly. BIN's on the bay are hit or miss in terms of style, color, size, you know -- important stuff. :)

I appreciate it Yo.

Mark

carldelo

One Too Many
This might work

Here's an inexpensive wool fedora, comes brown in small which is maybe 1 size too big - VHS will include foam strips to help the fit, just ask, plus it will be useful a little longer as he grows into the size:

http://www.villagehatshop.com/jaxon-crushable-c-crown-fedora.html

It should stand up to some abuse. There's quite a number of other low price Jaxon hats that might work also, mostly wool, obviously at the low end. Get 'em started young, that's the ticket - I bought my first fedora (an unworn Cavanaugh) at a thrift store for 50 cents when I was 16 - those were the days...

Cheers, Carl

Ugarte

A-List Customer
carldelo said:
I bought my first fedora (an unworn Cavanaugh) at a thrift store for 50 cents when I was 16 - those were the days...

Don't get me started. :(

The link you sent looked really good, but he spotted this:

http://www.villagehatshop.com/jaxon_crushable_pinch-front_fedora.html

I think we've got a winner. It may be about 1/2" too big, but a local big-box retailer in our area sells foam window insulation strips that are the same thing.

I appreciate the tip. Put this one to bed.

Mark

K

Kaosharper1

Indy Child Sized

There are official Indiana Jones Child sized hats on EBAY.

univibe88

One Too Many
Ugarte said:
Don't get me started. :(

The link you sent looked really good, but he spotted this:

http://www.villagehatshop.com/jaxon_crushable_pinch-front_fedora.html

I think we've got a winner. It may be about 1/2" too big, but a local big-box retailer in our area sells foam window insulation strips that are the same thing.

I appreciate the tip. Put this one to bed.

Mark

That's a good looking hat. I think it's a great idea to get it a little big and shim it. He'll get some more wear out of it.

Ugarte

A-List Customer
indycop said:
Wow Ugarte it didn't take long for you to get the family swaying your way!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks Indy. My son has really come a long way. His sister is not as HORRIFIED by my hats. She's coming around.

Their half-brother is kind of there. He wore the pith helmet around Disney World.

Mark

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Ugarte said:
My 11-y.o. son has landed a spot on his school's "newspaper". He has a dressy kind of event to cover next Friday (2/29/08) as a reporter and somewhere he picked up the idea that he would like to wear a fedora with a "Press Pass" tucked into the band.

I need an inexpensive fedora in a 6 5/8", preferably brown, for the boy. I don't want to spend big $$ on a nice hat since he will likely outgrow it by this summer and it isn't likely to be taken care of.

Any suggestions out there? And did I mention I need it really soon? :)

Thanks.

Mark

Mark,

I might have some hats about that size down in the basement from when I was looking for hats for a relative. I'll check in the morning and let you know.

Regards,
Tom

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
There were some posts in the "This Fedora Thing Just Might Be Catching On" thread about Target, Wal-Mart, etc. are carrying inexpensive lids. You might check that out, too. [huh]

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Tango Yankee said:
Mark,

I might have some hats about that size down in the basement from when I was looking for hats for a relative. I'll check in the morning and let you know.

Thank you Tom. You are too kind.

Mark

Ugarte

A-List Customer
KY Gentleman said:
There were some posts in the "This Fedora Thing Just Might Be Catching On" thread about Target, Wal-Mart, etc. are carrying inexpensive lids. You might check that out, too. [huh]

We have a Wal-Mart, but down here they only carry a very inexpensive, children's cowboy hat. I'm afraid eastern New Mexico is a long way from the fedora catching on. :(

Mark

indycop

I'll Lock Up
RBH said:
FANTASTIC! He sounds like a really neat young man. That is a nice looking fedora and he should get some wear from it.
If he does not mind , could you post some photos when he is in his 'reporter getup'.
:eusa_clap
I have a Coca-Cola ad from 1941 I think that has that very getup !

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Mark,

I've got a few hats to chose from, but can't find my bloody camera right now!

One is dark grey with a black ribbon, 1 3/4" brim, The Premiere Collection from Sears. It's 6 5/8.

Another one identical to the first, but in brown.

A Richman Brothers, brown (color is "Maple" according to the tag) 2 5/8" brim, size is 6 3/4. It's prety much perfect!

The fourth is a Barsolino, made exclusively for Bencraft Hatters, black on black. Has wind trolley. Bound brim is 3". It's a 6 3/4.

All hats are in good condition, the latter two are heartbreakers because I wish they fit me! I'll get you pictures as soon as I can find that camera.

Cheers,
Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic