Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for my first Quality Motorcycle leather jacket Aero,Vanson,Schott

View attachment 193266
A Vanson is a great quality, durable, hard wearing, late night having, beer spilling, rock show rocking jacket. If you are a college student in the 18-22 year range I would buy a Vanson C2. When you post an update photo of it in 20 years you’ll be the envy of the whole forum.
I sense remorse
C44819FC-091D-4CAF-ACC1-EC85DF83ED11.jpeg

You only say that because you haven't experienced the greatness of a Vanson with finished sleeves!
That's why the Commando is the ultimate Vanson...
9SdHAa7.jpg
Oh I have. Derby and vaj-3 had them. I actually like the hammered sleeve. When it breaks in...the thick rolled comp weight looks perfect. The folded leather extends 1/2” into the cuff. I like that but it does take awhile to tame them. It’s a misconception/ lack of understanding that a lack of stitching at the cuff means they are unfinished. To create an equal sleeve length this way greatly increases the degree of difficulty as it’s hand hammered and then sewn into the sleeve lining. It’s not an accident or short cut. It’s done on purpose!

Last edited:
Huh, the thought that the cuffs on a Vanson jacket are unfinished never even occured to me. At first it took me a year to notice it and then I thought it's a feature and had something to do with easier customization of the sleeve length.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Huh, the thought that the cuffs on a Vanson jacket are unfinished never even occured to me. At first it took me a year to notice it and then I thought it's a feature and had something to do with easier customization of the sleeve length.
I assumed the point of it was less stitch holes to the exterior shell of the jacket, because these are the jackets weakest points. Seams not exposed to elements, leather not weakened by stitch holes, no rotting of leather when water intrudes the stitch holes, etc etc, I think it's a smart feature avoiding damage to the cuffs.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Having only had experience with Aero and Schott (haven't owned a Schott, but tried some on) and having respect for Vanson, I would vote either Aero or Vanson. The Schott jackts I've experienced were not on the same level in leather or construction in my opinion. In many cases, Vanson jackets are better and cheaper than Schott.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
@KissMyMuscle , having just caught up with this thread it seems that Vanson is your best bet, as:

- It is more afforfable
- It is easily on par with Aero if you read the comments of owners of both (I don't own either)
- It will not age too quickly (this is a positive considering that you are still young)
- It has a better pattern (you will use it much more if it is comfortable)

Psant25

One Too Many
If not for riding I would go with aero.

Unless you get a used vanson.

That very firm new leather and bright shiny exposed vanson zip is too much for me off the bike.

KissMyMuscle

One of the Regulars
@KissMyMuscle , having just caught up with this thread it seems that Vanson is your best bet, as:

- It is more afforfable
- It is easily on par with Aero if you read the comments of owners of both (I don't own either)
- It will not age too quickly (this is a positive considering that you are still young)
- It has a better pattern (you will use it much more if it is comfortable)
Thanks Red Devil, I think I will pass on buying a new leather jacket as my first quality one. I am going to hunt for a used Vanson or something with good quality. If no go, I am gonna drive to US to pick a nice Vanson. D

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi, Guys. I am looking for a double side motorcycle jacket for casual use. I want a thick horsehide leahter jacket. But there are too many options there. Kind of confusing how to pick the right one. I am kind of liking Aero the most. But their motorcycle jackets are so simliar. Cant tell the difference.

Anyone suggestions will be really helpful .

Thanks

What do you think of all the suggestions? I think you are just as confused as before? ;) maybe you could highlight some must have (I know it’s hard because you don’t know what you don’t know), but Say you want to design one, one fantastical jacket, slant zip, what would you want to have? Then we can better pinpoint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit:

My advice would be to not get caught up with a maker. Just keep looking. Know what you want and just keep looking. Might be you need to go for a full boat, beauty queen custom. Might also be that you find a no-name eBay/Etsy gem for 1/10 the cost. Just know what you want and weigh that against your patience. I can tell you I’ve found equal joy in jackets that cost $1.3k and $20 (seriously). Just know what you want and stick to that. Don’t think spending a shit stack on a jacket will make a difference. It won’t. At least it hasn’t for me. Just think about what you really want and let that lead the way.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo