Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for resources on Normandy and French civilian life...

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Hi everyone!

I'm brand new to this forum, my first actual thread, so bear with me. If this topic needs to be moved, let me know!

I'm currently writing a novel (my thesis project for university), and I'm looking for any helpful resources (books, movies, websites, photos...) that could help me write with as much accuracy as possible. The novel, as it stands, takes place in Normandy, and a portion of it is set during WWII focusing on an 8-year-old girl, her Jewish cousin who is the same age, and her mother who is a member of the Resistance.

Does anyone have any helpful references that I could use?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Good luck!

Hi Sweetfrancaise. You might try to search for a book Gerard and Frederic Finel: "Remember 44" (Text by Claude Flory. Phots by: Dider Truffaut.)

(Edition Ouest-France. 13 rue du Breil. Rennes.)

I bought the english edition in Normandy at Muse de la paix, in Caen.

It's all about daily life in Normandy around D-day.
It's far from scientific but gives a good impression of everyday life in France (and UK) in WWII and especially around june 44.
Culture, dresses, foodrationing, the germans, the resistance, the allies. All descibed in diaryform by four fictional persons. And with lots of pictures of dresses, everyday products, children toys and comics, clothes, recordcovers, books, uniforms, weapons etc. Easy to read, interesting - and perhaps the inspiration you need to go on.

Good luck with the writing.

(I have written a novel/filmmauscript myself, which takes place in Germany in the last warwinter. A young american pilot escaping from a POW camp and underway he meets a young german girl....etc. etc. The story is based on a true story and real people and their experiences.)

PS JUST CHEKED IT OUT - THE BOOK IS AVALIABLE ON AMAZON.COM IN USA.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Glad if I could help you out.:)
My novel os still lying around with some filmproducers - have tried different publishing houses. Allthough they all say the book is exciting and wellwritten (I bet they say that...) the market and the timing is not right.

Have thought about getting it translated though. First of all its a book about an american pilot - and the englishspeaking market is so much bigger.
Haven't got around to that though. Got a job to do too...;)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Spitfire said:
(I have written a novel/filmmauscript myself, which takes place in Germany in the last warwinter. A young american pilot escaping from a POW camp and underway he meets a young german girl....etc. etc. The story is based on a true story and real people and their experiences.)

This sounds really interesting--I'd pick it up!

zaika

One Too Many
Spitfire said:

oooh, that sounds SO interesting! i'd read it, too.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My girlfriend's half brother was a child in occupied France during the war. He was born in 1939. I'll ask him if I can send you his email address. He has an amusing story about his uncle hiding from the French Nazi police (who were worse than the Gestapo). He had furniture piled against the door, and a knife in his hand in case the police tried to get into the house. Francois, being only 5 at the time, was watching this whole business with innocent fascination. Luckily the police decided to look elsewhere, but it's a very vivid vignette as he describes it.
After the war, my girlfriend's dad stayed in France, (and married my gf's mother). He helped them with their harvest, just like an ordinary peasant. The only "automation" they had was a 19th century vintage steam tractor, that they acquired right after the war. One of the activities they had to do was to climb up a tall ladder and dump bags of threshed grain into a wagon. The French peasants were amazed that D's dad was tough enough to do it right along with the rest of them. Their way of life at that time, 1945, was not really so far removed from that of the peasants in the Middle Ages.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
My girlfriend's half brother was a child in occupied France during the war. He was born in 1939. I'll ask him if I can send you his email address. He has an amusing story about his uncle hiding from the French Nazi police (who were worse than the Gestapo). He had furniture piled against the door, and a knife in his hand in case the police tried to get into the house. Francois, being only 5 at the time, was watching this whole business with innocent fascination. Luckily the police decided to look elsewhere, but it's a very vivid vignette as he describes it.
After the war, my girlfriend's dad stayed in France, (and married my gf's mother). He helped them with their harvest, just like an ordinary peasant. The only "automation" they had was a 19th century vintage steam tractor, that they acquired right after the war. One of the activities they had to do was to climb up a tall ladder and dump bags of threshed grain into a wagon. The French peasants were amazed that D's dad was tough enough to do it right along with the rest of them. Their way of life at that time, 1945, was not really so far removed from that of the peasants in the Middle Ages.

Wow--what fantastic stories :eusa_clap ! It would be wonderful to write him if he's interested. I can speak/write in French, if that helps! Thanks so much for your input. It plays out like a movie, a film noir classic.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Spitfire said:
Glad if I could help you out.:)
My novel os still lying around with some filmproducers - have tried different publishing houses. Allthough they all say the book is exciting and wellwritten (I bet they say that...) the market and the timing is not right.

Have thought about getting it translated though. First of all its a book about an american pilot - and the englishspeaking market is so much bigger.
Haven't got around to that though. Got a job to do too...;)

I think you're right--an English-speaking market would be ideal, especially given that Suite Francaise by Irene Niemerovsky was recently translated into English and overtook the market. There's a lot currently expanding the WWII market that I can see at the bookstore that I work at too. I'd certainly love to read it! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo