Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for this jacket

je.booth32

New in Town
Hi all,
I'm a bit new to the forum, so if I've posted this in the wrong place then I apologise! I found a long-sold jacket listing on here, and I adore the style, so I was hoping if anybody is looking to sell, or can point me in the direction of someone who is, then I might be able to find someone here.

I'll include a photo of the jacket itself - a 1940s-50s (I believe) biker jacket, made by Appalachian. In particular I'm really hoping for the style with the gun pocket on the left breast, two flapped breast pockets, and the zip-map pocket in the back panel.

1684255538939.png

(This photo isn't mine, it came from a post on this forum, just a reference for what I'm looking for)

From what I've been able to find, a large would fit me, but anything with around a 40" chest would be perfect.

I thought I would come here, since the last listings I found was from a rather sketchy website, which turned out to be fake after a small amount of investigation,

Cheers,
James

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
These come up on ebay pretty often. The trick is finding one in the condition and size you want. Some that were made were also sold under a Sears label, but I believe were also made by Appalachian for Sears, although I don't know that for certain. Be patient, and keep looking.

Last edited:

je.booth32

New in Town
You can also look for Sears jackets in this style. Appalachan made them. Here is a thread on these jackets:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/sears-vertical-zip-map-pocket-motorycle-jacket.94252/
@tmitchell59 has a few...might be worth a PM.

**edit- @Guppy beat me to it...

just make sure you watch out for this overpriced s**t... ;)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/125877423264
Brilliant! Thanks so much, Ill keep an eye out for Sears jackets too :)

Cheers for the heads up, would never spend that much anyway,

I'll drop him a message, see if he's got anything :)

je.booth32

New in Town
These come up on ebay pretty often. The trick is finding one in the condition and size you want. Some that were made were also sold under a Sears label, but I believe were also made by Appalachian for Sears, although I don't know that for certain. Be patient, and keep looking.
Perfect, thanks for replying lad, I'll keep an eye out for different names

Nacho

Practically Family
This is mine. No label with Serval sliders. This jacket has interesting sleeve sliders that I haven't seen before. Also, the slider for the back pocket says Gripper Zipper with Crown zipper teeth. The body is short (21" back length) so I think this one belongs to the 50s.

tempImagemLIFNI.jpg

tempImageFVmJQL.jpg

tempImagefkBfRt.jpg

tempImagenpSHmn.jpg

If I have to guess, I'd say this one is a Windward because of its belt buckle. The Sears and Appalachians have the type of belt buckle that doesn't require an extra belt loop for the other end to go through. This one has the total opposite although there isn't a belt loop, but you'll get what I mean when you see the pic below.

tempImageRAfMFj.jpg

I've also recently gone through the Windward MC jacket thread and noticed that most of the jackets there have a little symbol at the top if you flip the buckle over. For example, please see here and here. You have to scroll down a bit to the belt buckle picture. Here is mine below. See the little symbol at the top there.

tempImagezaM2gN.jpg

Well, it's simply my guess. I could be wrong here. But it's interesting to see the similarities between these jackets.

Last edited:

Nacho

Practically Family

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
This is mine. No label with Serval sliders. This jacket has interesting sleeve sliders that I haven't seen before. Also, the slider for the back pocket says Gripper Zipper with Crown zipper teeth. The body is short (21" back length) so I think this one belongs to the 50s.

View attachment 518156
View attachment 518157
View attachment 518158
View attachment 518159

If I have to guess, I'd say this one is a Windward because of its belt buckle. The Sears and Appalachians have the type of belt buckle that doesn't require an extra belt loop for the other end to go through. This one has the total opposite although there isn't a belt loop, but you'll get what I mean when you see the pic below.

View attachment 518160

I've also recently gone through the Windward MC jacket thread and noticed that most of the jackets there have a little symbol at the top if you flip the buckle over. For example, please see here and here. You have to scroll down a bit to the belt buckle picture. Here is mine below. See the little symbol at the top there.

View attachment 518161

Well, it's simply my guess. I could be wrong here. But it's interesting to see the similarities between these jackets.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/bnyvmUTAZjcr2aVj8
I had this style with a Windward label. This is only one with map pocket and back zip I have seen, very cool! The Windward jackets are not Appalachian made. This is a new find. Interesting detail on the buckle, I will look into that. Thanks

Guppy

I'll Lock Up

Nacho

Practically Family
https://photos.app.goo.gl/bnyvmUTAZjcr2aVj8
I had this style with a Windward label. This is only one with map pocket and back zip I have seen, very cool! The Windward jackets are not Appalachian made. This is a new find. Interesting detail on the buckle, I will look into that. Thanks
Thanks, Terry. Big shout out to @cashcheck for helping me find this jacket. It's on my grail list and I finally have one. :cool:

So this dude is indeed a Windward hey. It's almost identical to your jacket minus the map pocket.

IMG_4961.JPG

-- No snap button on the top collars.

tempImagee0h1XJ.jpg

-- Same corduroy kidney panel with quilted liners.

IMG_4964.JPG

-- Sleeve zippers on the top instead of the bottom or side.

IMG_4965.JPG

-- Cool back design. This jacket will look better if it has the western yoke like yours, Terry.

IMG_4962.JPG

IMG_4963.JPG

-- Interesting studs work on the epaulets. It looks like these come with the jacket. I don't think the previous owners put these on judging by the look of the installation job.

Now, in terms of who made these, could it be Kehoe that made these jackets for Montgomery Ward?

I mean, if you look at the sleeve zipper. Of all the makers in the Great Lakes area, wasn't Kehoe the only one that have this style of design? After all, Montgomery Ward started in Chicago, right? Didn't Buco and Brooks (maybe Reeds as well) make jackets for Sears? So maybe Kehoe was the one left for Ward?

It's just a thought.

Kehoe used swift zips on the sleeves and this for the beefy main zip:
C3309609-2796-48DF-8A08-2CB99529BC32.jpeg

All 4 of my Kehoe jackets had the same zips. I dont think they ventured outside of the cafe racer jackets (at least I’ve never seen any other models), unlike Brooks and Reed.

Nacho

Practically Family
Kehoe used swift zips on the sleeves and this for the beefy main zip:
View attachment 518647
All 4 of my Kehoe jackets had the same zips. I dont think they ventured outside of the cafe racer jackets (at least I’ve never seen any other models), unlike Brooks and Reed.
Thanks for the info and pic, Mike. Your slider does look similar to mine albeit the different branding.

This situation reminds me of Fidelity. They make mostly cafe racers, but we do see a few MCs from them.

Ah, all the mysteries behind these jackets. It never gets old.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto