Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loony Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
I just finished watching the Looney Tunes - The Golden Collection on DVD. It is amazing the talent, style, creativity and humor the artists had back in the 30's and 40's. The DVD chronicles the major Warner Brothers characters realization and origin and just how American they are.

One of the more interesting things I found was how Looney Tunes got started and their involvement in WWII.

In the early 30's, Hugh Harman & Rudolf Ising were hired by Leon Schlesinger to create cartoon shorts to show before each Warner Brothers Theatrical Release. The first to be created was Loony Tunes and those were character based.

loony_tunes.jpg

Shortly after that, they created Spoony Melodies which was to replace the organist in the theater. However only 4 Spoony Melodies were ever created.

spooney_melodies.jpg

The then created Merrie Melodies that were animated shorts that were musical based. Lady Play Your Mandolin was the first Merrie Melody. It was created 2 yrs before the repeal of prohibition yet cartoon takes place in a saloon and features drinking. The infulence of the animator's former employer, Disney, can be seen in the star character, Foxy.

merrie_melodies.jpg

In the 1940's Warner Bros. was famous for its animated films. It had animators Chuck Jones, Tex Avery and Fritz Freleng drawing Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd, Daffy Duck and many others. While Mel Blanc did the voices and Carl Stalling was musical director.

When WWII broke out, Loony Tunes answered the call. Bugs and gang helped sell War Bonds.

bugs_bonds.jpg

Bugs Bunny was officially drafted in the United States Marine Corps.

bugs_usmc.jpg

Chuck Jones directed a series of animated shorts for the men in the military. One was called "Private SNAFU" (Situation Normal All "Fouled" Up). Private SNAFU would illustrate to soldiers on what not to do. For example, it was important to keep secrets because you never know if the enemy is listening. And, they could use that information to destroy you.

One interesting clip has Private SNAFU on a ship going to war. And, German subs are following him. The ship he is on looks somewhat slimilar to the Queen Mary.

private_snafu.jpg

Another short was called "The Return of Mr. Hook". The film was to prepare sailors for life after the war. Mr Hook has post war plans to get some new clothes, find a girl and marry her.

mr_hook.jpg

In the late 40's Warner Brothers won an Academy Award for the toon "Tweetie Pie". "So much for So Little" won an Academy Award a few years later. Its about contributing 3 cents a week to the Heath Dept. That way little babies have a chance to grow up and have babies of their own.

so_much.jpg

I find it interesting that the cartoons illustrate and address the concerns and problems of the time. Many of the same problems still exist today but the are handled in a much different way. Even though the cartoons were created for adults, I wonder if the Warner Brothers of today would let Bugs carry a rifle and support the war effort as much as he did back then? My guess is, probably not.

Pyroxene

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
That was a great rundown of the Looney Tunes, Pyro. Do you know if that DVD set's cartoons are unedited? Even if they're not, I plan on picking it up in the next few weeks.

Dalexs

Practically Family
I am so jealous... my mom was going to get that dvd for everyone for christmas but didn't for some reason. So i'll just have to get it myself.

Zohar, from what I've been readingabout the collection, while its not the most complete colllection, all of the episodes are SUPPOSED to be unedited.
Of course, it would be hard to tell since not many people have seen an unedited version in a many years.
Some of the "bad" episodes are still under lock and key.
But they have all been remastered, so they should look great!

But still a must for any fan!

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
Yes the are all unedited. The Amazon.com editorial review says it best.

The 56 cartoons in the set (out of a studio output of over 1,000) were transferred from good prints--which means the viewer can see dust, scratches, and occasional mistakes by the cel painters. The films are all presented uncut, in defiance of the killjoys who have insisted on censoring alleged "violence" in the versions shown on television. Warner Bros. is obviously testing consumer response with this set.

They are fun to play on Saturday morning with a bowl of cereal. It's far better than anything currently offered on Broadcast.

On interesting thing. When I pull up the DVD colletion on Amazon.com they suggest getting the Indiana Jones DVD set too. Interesting they would pair those two together.

bugs%26indy_together.jpg

Pryo.

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
I was lucky enough to receive this DVD set for Christmas as well! Top notch stuff. I watched the first two discs back to back immediatly. I'm looking forward to the next set!

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
Oooooh, I want this set soooo bad. WB animation from that era has never been topped. I took an animation class where we watched certain segments of many vintage WB cartoons in slow motion in order to see how their frames broke down. Absolutely marvelous stuff! There are some hilarious poses and expressions that go by unappreciated at 1/24 of a second.

I've got to get my hands on this DVD set somehow. So many cool things, so little money.

Excellent review, Pyroxene!

Kim_B

Practically Family
This thread is so old, but I just had to comment.

DH and I recently bought the first volume a few weekends ago and we just love it! There are a few extra features, one called "Toon Heads' which is a run down just like Pyroxene posted and it shows some of the cartoons in question. I've noticed on some of the sets there is a warning on the back that some content may not be suitable for young viewers, which tickles me pink! I grew up watching Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies on Saturday mornings and miss not having them on TV.

And, we were also able to obtain a copy of the Private Snafu cartoons - great to watch and so funny in the way they portray the subject manner. I love how the lines are done in true Dr. Seuss fashion (Theodor Geisel was the writer for these 'toons).

We are adding the others to our Christmas lists this year - such a treasure to have!!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've gotten all the volumes so far (and hope I can figure out a way to afford Volume 4!) -- and the individual cartoons really do look better than I can ever remember seeing them. Those of us who grew up on choppy scratchy 16mm prints on local TV have a real treat in store with these restorations -- I just wish we could get them theatrically!

I also appreciated the warning label on the box -- having grown up on these cartoons from earliest memory, I'm sure that explains why I'm so deranged...

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
All that stuff was the core of my childhood cartoon watching. Such fond memories! Then we went to the cheap Japanese cartoons with expressionless wooden faces and mechanical mouth movements.:rage: At least new tech has come up with stuff like the Lion King and Cars made in high quality. But ah, that Bugs Bunny!;)

Hondo

One Too Many
They say a new DVD version due out this Tuesday [huh]
In any event Thanks for the post/comments, I plan to add towards my DVD library. Growing up with Mel Blanc voice was awesome like most here we spent many hours watching Loonie Tunes, I enjoyed all of his characters, my favorites were Foghorn Leghorn, remember "Camptown Races,"? (the only intelligible words being "Doo-DAH! Doo-DAH!") and Pep?© Le Pew. Mel Blanc did an American Express commerical years ago that included so many of his characters, lol
Really miss this guy.

Mel_Blanc1989.JPG

CharlieH.

One Too Many
From a time when animation was a true fine art. I've missed the last volume from the golden collection, and I'm more than excited about vol. 4 (If all goes well, it'll be a most merry christmas... I hope) .

I sure wish I could watch these as the gods intended - on a big screen.

miss1934

Familiar Face
you can also find a bunch of these cartoons full length on archive.org and youtube. I enjoy them a little too much diring serious lectures. I think that at least my geology professor has caught on.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
As an animator, Im embarassed to say I dont have this set. :eek: Altho I could prolly recite every line of dialogue from every cartoon, Ive seen them that much.

I love the stories of the Looney Toons and Merry Melodies way more than Disney's Silly Symphonies (but I feel the Disney animation was a bit better to form).

Thanks for the War info in the starter post. Is rewarding to get that knowledge.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy