Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds jackets.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to get anyone to do something or deal with someone that they don't like. Buying an (expensive) jacket is very personal. But I could also sit here and type out crap about other makers that I don't care for and there's no point in it. As was said, we're lucky we have so many outlets for great gear. Pick who/what you like.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Well, I won't argue that the website needs some work ;)

And there you have it. I don't think that there's any question that LW is one of the top vendors. If he'd lose the attitude, and let the quality of his product speak for itself, he'd sell more jackets, earn more revenue, and a lot more of us will be wearing his work. I really like the look of his B-2 jacket: it's unique and shows every indication of being a masterpiece. No one else currently makes one, and I'd love to be in the position where, one day, a purchase would be possible.

Stand By

One Too Many
And there you have it. I don't think that there's any question that LW is one of the top vendors. If he'd lose the attitude, and let the quality of his product speak for itself, he'd sell more jackets, earn more revenue, and a lot more of us will be wearing his work. I really like the look of his B-2 jacket: it's unique and shows every indication of being a masterpiece. No one else currently makes one, and I'd love to be in the position where, one day, a purchase would be possible.

I agree.
Back in 2005 or so, when I was first hunting for my serious upgrades to my Aviation Leathercraft Irvin and A2 and was silently lurking here looking keenly for information and looking at the company websites out there at the time, the one A2 that I kept going back to was the Werber at Lost Worlds. The photos of it looked amazing to me. Everything about it ticked the boxes I was looking for and it exuded quality to me in that curious way that one thing appeals over another for reasons hard to define or describe. But there it was; that was the winner for me.*
But the rant on the website gave me pause and just didn't imbue me with confidence as, as I said, I was worried that if there was problem, I could be regarded as a nuisance by someone who sounded like he didn't tolerate whiners and it was a lot of money to risk on an unknown.
And in that pause, on a whim, I dropped an email to ELC and introduced myself. Thus began an email conversation with Gary and I was quite honest and upfront and told him that I was after a good upgrade and that I'd seen his website and others, but the one A2 that really "spoke" to me was LW's Werber.
We talked on the 'phone and Gary said that the LW Werber is a very fine jacket, and if I really liked that A2, he just asked me to hold off on making a decision and he'd send me a copy of his Golden Book and a collection of swatches - and he said that he felt sure I would like one of ELCs as well, and to make my decision after it arrived. No hard sell - just a fair pitch for business, and I respected that.
The book and samples duly arrived in short order and, combined with the package and the customer service, I was swayed and I went for one of his Irvin's and then his 352nd A2 - and then, within just a few short years, I'd spent 5K pounds with ELC.

And all because I hesitated. How different it might otherwise have been, had the website for LW not given me pause. It's like "For want of a horseshoe nail…".
I just didn't need to take the risk on an unknown with hard-saved money - and that illustrates my point about us all being better off for having more choice than ever before from the many fine businesses we have offering us quality jackets and service.

* And today, I still think that Werber looks like one of the best A2s available out there.

Last edited:

Roma

A-List Customer
Wait, what? This seems unnecessary and potentially harmful. Why do anything to it within the first 5-10 years?
It's not that bad. I do that but with oil to give the leather and thread more protection and soften the leather.

Roma

A-List Customer
Never had an issue. It's funny - all the vendors we use here are distinctly different. I grew up back East, so maybe LW isn't a bother for me. I still am fond of the straight-talking ways, whereas some really don't care for it.

The products speak for themselves, so I guess I'm not bothered by it. Now, would I rather work with JC or Stu in the same office? Likely I'd say JC is in a class by himself. But neither one offered me a job ;)
+1. Have never had an issue with Stuart, although I'm over the pond.

Roma

A-List Customer
Contacted LW about buying a jacket on their sales page a while back and never got a reply. I like their products but they gone off the radar for me.
It may happen but it's weird in this case. Stu is always back within an hour. At least it's from my 2 year experience.

When I was larger and just starting on "real" leather jackets, I was a "50". I called most of the makers then and only Aero (USA) would make me a 50.

I emailed LW and got very nice, timely, and honest emails from Stuart. Nothing like the "chats" I get from other makers I've gotten to know over the years, but nothing that would remotely put me off, and in fact, he was one of the few that didn't make me feel like some sort of freak for being a big guy...

I guess I'm lucky that I went to a 48 after some work as now I've got way more options, but I still have two LW jackets of my own and my son two. I'd never limit myself to one maker and if I only purchased from vendors with great websites, I'd have a lot more money in my account right now.

Roma

A-List Customer
I think everything above shows what a lottery LW is. I would not criticise the quality of the jackets, they are truly bomb-proof, but I do think that one of the aspects of this niche is the service that comes with a purchase, and I really couldn't be bothered with somebody who either couldn't be bothered with me or, worse, was actively contemptuous of my interest in their product.
Exactly, bomb-proof, not bullet As for the lottery, if this is the case, I've been always lucky☺

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Another point: the "Be American, buy American" pitch. Whether subtle or not- quite- so.

It works with me, but only up to a very short point, mainly because I dread the idea of paying duties and such, but there is also a desire to help one's own economy. But like everything else, the pitch has its limits.

Quite honestly, I don't owe anyone a living, but if someone seems like a decent individual, I naturally want to see them do well and prosper. That isn't limited to national borders: the individual willing to go the extra distance to please a customer can be found anywhere. And for all I know, despite all of his web page bravado, Stu may be just that sort of individual after all. There certainly are many here who cite positive experiences in dealing with him.

The caveat is that in order to purchase a new shearling or leather jacket, I have to save up for quite a number of months and I'm not really willing to roll the dice with the hope that things will work out. It's always a risk ordering from a stranger when prices like this are involved. I have been burned in the past- advancing hundreds to a guy who was going to make me a new desk who promptly dropped dead, leaving me with no way to contact his estate. When one's web page is your only basis for forming an opinion on someone who asks you to place trust in them, sight unseen, you have to place stock in both its substance and style, because both reveal much about the person/ people on the other end.

My most recent experience in jacket purchase was quite positive: an Aero ANJ-4 purchased through their US distributor, Thurston Bros. Both manufacturer and retail came through with flying colors, although the 7 week wait seemed an eternity. I'd gladly go back for another in the future. And that is how trust in commerce is created.

Plumbline

One Too Many
I've bought several jackets directly from Stu ( all through the website) with no issues at all ..... 2 delivered to the USA ( B-3 and Bike Jacket ) and 2 delivered to the UK ( both Suburbans).

His jackets are outstanding ( I've had 9 In total ) his shearlings amongst the best around .... the website doesn't really bother me at all ( I find the commentary quite humorous ) .... and email discussions have been very cordial and informative, a really good guy to deal with.

Roma

A-List Customer
I have a 3 oz black horsehide peacot. And my Suburban is currently on the way to me. The Suburban is black 4 0z. Even 3 oz is sturdy but pretty light. As for the 4 oz, I anticipate it'll be a real rocket proof jacket, the way I want it. Stu is great at communication, quick and consultive. I've had those jackets heavily customised with length adding and dead stock hardware installed. Not a slightest issue with Stu, let alone the products. To me they are stunning. But it's a personal choice, if you don't like your jacket heavy and stiff, there are other vendors. We should be happy to have so much choice.

7 weeks??! You must have more pull than I do! I'm on week 10!

kronos77

One of the Regulars
Having grown up in a typical Philadelphia row home neighborhood, I am not put off by Stu's manner. I have come to realize though, that those big city east coast mannerisms aren't understood or appreciated in other parts of the country.

Two things that do put me off: First, the leather, which is beautiful but from what I have felt in person, doesn't seem to soften and wear with age and use. The cows/horses must have gotten Botox injections as the older LW jackets remind me off an old woman with a lot of plastic surgery behind her. Part of the experience of owning something natural like a leather jacket, jeans, a piece of real wood furniture, or a house made from natural materials, is growing old along with it. This mimics the life cycle itself and increases the attachment to the object. Sounds weird but true.

Second, if you want any sort of off size or long/short size it is a custom order and not returnable. In addition, it is marked up 20+ percent. I understand a long size being more since it uses more leather, but a short size? That's a serious tax for being out of average range and a real risk as well.

All in all, I respct the guy for the quality work he does and the jackets look stunning.

Last edited:

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
First, the leather, which is beautiful but from what I have felt in person, doesn't seem to soften and wear with age and use. The cows/horses must have gotten Botox injections as the older LW jackets remind me off an old woman with a lot of plastic surgery behind her.

That made me smile. Some one in a thread described them as "suitcases". That was a good one. His top line heavy is pretty thick, looks spoongy but it isn't. Here is one. Near asbestos finish, almost like sandpaper. I think it depends on what hide he has to work with. I don't think a lot of high end, high money jackets do get worn. Think about how many jackets we each own. His jackets do their job of protecting from the elements. The absolute no question first leather I would reach for in wet/harsh weather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80