Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds Ryder: Just Arrived!

Todd V

Familiar Face
There doesn't seem to be much discussion of the Lost Worlds Ryder so I figured I would start a thread, add some photos and perhaps be of some use to others. I apologize in advance for the horrendous cell phone photos. I'll take some proper photos first chance I get. :eusa_doh:

Inspired by other Forum members, I just purchased this BEAUTIFUL Lost Worlds Ryder in russet 3oz horsehide from the sale page. This is a size 36 and I typically wear a 36S suit jacket. Now, I realize that these photos are poor at best, but I'm a bit anxious so I couldn't wait to post them. Should I size down to a 34 (also on the sale page)? Given the low sale price of this stock jacket, I don't expect custom-fit made-for-me perfection.

The shoulders are perfect, the length is fine, the sleeves a bit long but I can take care of that once the are broken in and wrinkled a bit more.

What concerns me is the upper back. Maybe it is just the stiffness of the fresh horsehide, but there is a bubble across the upper back. If I pull the jacket down it flattens out, but when I start moving my arms...it bubbles up.

In the photo, I am wearing only a button-up shirt. I can wear a wooly pully under the jacket in comfort. If I sized down, no way could I do that. Realizing that a California-style half-belt might not have been worn with a wool sweater back in the day, the jacket will be most useful to me in colder east coast weather.

Thoughts, opinions and rants are welcome! :D

Nevermind the construction! It will be done in about two weeks. :cool:

photo5.jpg

Snug in the waist, bubble in the back?

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

Side view of the bubble. If I pull the jacket down, it flattens out nicely. When I move my arms... it comes back!

photo1.jpg

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Hey Todd:

The jacket looks great I wouldn't give that rise up a second thought, once you have worn it a couple of weeks it will conform just like the sleeves. The more you wear it the better the horsehide will look. I have a couple of LW's now and had several others and they break in real well over time. The lighter horse will break in faster. Get out in the rain and that will help too.

You are looking like you are right out of a Bogey movie man.

too much coffee

Practically Family
Hi Todd;

Super looking Ryder! oneterrifichog is right, once that horsehide starts to relax it will drape a heck of a lot better. The Lost Worlds merchandise is generally very well received on this forum. You did real good; just hope you have enough scratch left to finish the construction project! Wear it in good health.

Regards, coffee

HighandDry

A-List Customer
Nice looking jacket.

I was thinking of the Ryder, but it seemed to me that the sleeve openings were too big- not much taper. How do you find them?

Todd V

Familiar Face
Ahh...thanks gentleman. The Ryder was a screaming deal on the LW sale page. I simply couldn't pass it by.

I was just a bit concerned about the odd buckling around the middle of the back. I can't imagine wearing a size smaller without damaging my internal organs. So, I guess I should start breaking in this baby....NOW.

I haven't looked too closely but I imagine the sleeves might not taper as much as some of the other makers' versions of this style.

Fortunately, the construction project belongs a friend!

Last edited:

Aether

One of the Regulars
Nice jacket, the fit looks fine to me, and as the others have said it'll drape better after some wear. I don't like my jackets too restrictive, so personally i wouldn't size down, plus you'll have a bit of leeway for layering/weight-gain:p

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Beautiful.
I would have gotten one if they had it in my size, I even emailed to be sure if they were too small.

If the bubble bugs you, close the jacket and shower it with medium warm water for a good while and then put it on and use it around the house, rolling some on the back on the floor or bed might help the back area. Its worth a try if you feel like you almost dont want to wear it like that outside.
There can be no harm done to the jacket at all.

TheSnark

One of the Regulars
Very nice! The fit actually looks quite good for an OTR jacket, and the Ryder really does have a nice, clean look to it. The hunchback (or "bubble") should take care of itself with a bit of break-in... just wear the jacket as much as possible, and don't coddle it. Congrats on a great deal!

JanSolo

Practically Family
Todd, that's an excellent looking jacket. I love the colour and the pattern. A trim fitting Halfbelt simply is one of the best looking civilian jacket of 30s and 40s. Don't worry about the stiff center back panel or the sleeves. Once you've broken that baby in it will be absolutely fantastic.

Here's my Aero 1930s HB. Note the long sleeves and the stiff appearance?

4976020649_5b75ac89b9_z.jpg

All gone now. The sleeves are perfect and the leather is much more pliable now. The hot spray mist method is a good way to shape your jacket and probably more civilized than drenching the whole jacket.
My Aero is made from veg tanned goat. The veg tanning doesn't bond as closely to the leather fibres as chrome tanning does. Therefore a good leather preserver is a must if the jacket gets worn in the rain. I use something that's called "Elephant leather preserver". It's a German/European product but I've found a link to a site in English: http://www.colourlock.co.nz/products/leather-preserver/

Elephant fat is fully synthetic and contains no acids. Therefore it will never oxidize and harm the leather. (All mineral or natural oils/fats/waxes will decompose over time and slowly destroy the fibres). It's quite solid and you will have to pre-heat the can. You will also need a good sponge and a hairdryer for best results. It fully water-proofs the leather without leaving a greasy film on the surface. IMO much much better than the famed Pecard's...

BTW: Here's the full link to my HB review:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show......A-very-serious-pictorial-review&highlight=

mrc

Familiar Face
Great jacket...love the Half Belt style. I just bought an original Hercules and it's a bit more snug, but, overall, I think the Lost Worlds jacket is a good fit.

Edward

Bartender
Stick with the size you have, it looks fine... and, as the others have said, it will settle down as it breaks in. Wear that baby round the house over the Winter, and come Spring it'll be good to go... Personally I'd avoid hot water treatment or any of the other fast-break-in routes; there's no substitute for wearing it in naturally. YMMV, of course.

Anders

One of the Regulars
I'm jealous. I bought a Ryder from that sale page, and my sleeves are bit too short. I can allay your fears concerning that back-bubble though, mine did that exact same thing, and went away after a couple months good wear.

I was thinking of the Ryder, but it seemed to me that the sleeve openings were too big- not much taper. How do you find them?

That's my one complaint with this model, the big arm holes. The jacket really bunches up when you try to reach something on the top shelf.

holdemchamp1225

One of the Regulars
Nice jacket. Would you do me a favor and post some measurements of the jacket? I've been contemplating getting a Ryder from their sale's page but torn between a 34 or 36? Would you mind post the pit to pit, shoulder to shoulder, shoulder to sleeve end, and bank length (base of collar to bottom of jacket)? Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Bruce

Ahh...thanks gentleman. The Ryder was a screaming deal on the LW sale page. I simply couldn't pass it by.

I was just a bit concerned about the odd buckling around the middle of the back. I can't imagine wearing a size smaller without damaging my internal organs. So, I guess I should start breaking in this baby....NOW.

I haven't looked too closely but I imagine the sleeves might not taper as much as some of the other makers' versions of this style.

Fortunately, the construction project belongs a friend!

Todd V

Familiar Face
Hi Bruce,

The 36 Ryder measures:

20" armpit to armpit (remember that the hide is thick)
24" base of collar to hem
17" shoulder to shoulder
25" shoulder to cuff

For the record, a 36S suit jacket fits me like a glove. The jacket is has room in it for medium sweater and would still be plenty comfortable.

Another lounger said it best -- the armholes are bit large. Other than that, I can't imagine squeezing into the 34 in anything more than a t-shirt. If that's what you want... may want to go for the 34.

When I spoke to them, Lost Worlds was open to letting me swap sizes if my choice didn't work out.

Sillyrib

Familiar Face
It probably just got bunched up in shipping. Wear it for a week and it will start to bond to your body shape and movement. You can try to put a leather conditioner on it also. I prefer this to any water treatment. I use Leather cpr. Horsehide tends to crease easily and hold that shape due to the tightness of the grain. Something that bothers me especially when it bunches up in the arms. But wear it long enough and it will loosen up.

archeradams

New in Town
I must be in the minority but these sleeves look a bit long to me. Many gentlemen seem to like to wear their sleeves to the knuckles. This is covering half the hand.
Anyway, I'm a "just at or below the wrist" kind of guy. I think it creates a tidier, more proportioned effect.

jack miranda

A-List Customer
That is a really good-looking jacket. The LW site pics don't tell the story the way seeing one on a human does. Don't worry about the sleeves--as you wear the jacket they will form to the natural curvature of your arms-in-motion and be fine. Good score.

Todd V

Familiar Face
After two weeks of wear, I'm very happy with the size. The bubble back is gone, the sleeves have shortened due to creasing in the sleeves and the jacket fits well over a commando sweater.

If you are a 38S, I don't think the 36S Ryder is for you unless you want a very slim fit and only want to wear a tshirt under it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner