Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loungers' Pets

Very sorry to hear the awful news. I'll keep you and yours in my thoughts.

My heart broke today, Max became very sick and I had to have him put to sleep this Sunday morning. I keep listening to hear him, his nails clicking on the wood floor, bringing me a sock or shoe. The greeting when I come home. Having him sit in my lap, the sound of his tail thumping on the cushions.

I am so sad.

The Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Wow, that was a tough one, John.

The Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

olive bleu

One Too Many
so sorry to hear this John. The pain you are going though is very real and very deep. Just about a year ago, we had to put down our Yellow lab Who had been part of our family for 14 years. Every single day , when I walk down the street toward home , I expect to see him. Not much in life is harder than this.

Maudelynn

Familiar Face
My heart broke today, Max became very sick and I had to have him put to sleep this Sunday morning. I keep listening to hear him, his nails clicking on the wood floor, bringing me a sock or shoe. The greeting when I come home. Having him sit in my lap, the sound of his tail thumping on the cushions.

I am so sad.

I am so so sorry to hear this. I lost my 20 year old cat/pooka/guardian, Harold, in December. I still weep nearly daily. I am just so sorry you have to feel this pain.
I keep saying this to myself over and over

“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Thanks everyone. The house seems so empty, I keep listening for Max, his nails on the wooden floor.

I know what you mean. Having had Samantha for over 10 years, I missed her being in the yard whenever I went outside.
A few months later I went and got the same breed. Now he is always there. :p I wish he hadn't found my Borsalino yesterday morning though.:eeek::eusa_doh:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
So sorry, John. I still haven't recovered from losing my Charlie Brown (Border Collie/Retriever mix) in 2007. Thinking of you...

Thanks evryone. I hope to be able to get another dog in the future. My daily actions are shaped by what I knew Max would do in certain situations and I find that my actions are still shape that way. Max being a Doxie was close to the floor and doxies regard anything on the floor as theirs. Dropping things, stuff falling off a table and so on all had consequences. Leaving any type of food or beverage unguarded and within reach was rewarded with a certain result.

Max was headstrong and determined, if he got an idea in his head good luck trying to change his mind, but he definately go mellow the last few years. He listened more and was more likely to come if I called. I had a special whistle that meant I need you now that he would always respond to. (The opening da-da dah da-tah da dah dah to the theme of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea TV show.)

He was a real love bug and like most doxies was pretty free and easy with kisses (lick your face). When seated on the couch or in a chair he was most likely seated by me or on my lap every evening.

scooter

Practically Family
Man, I have been down this road several times over the last few years, John. My sincere condolences. Probably what makes it different for us, if we have a whole slew of other animals that need attention and lavish us with love. I guess life goes on, whether we wish it to or not. I think as Tom said, a puppy would serve you well, when you're ready!

scooter

Practically Family
I am always amazed at the compassion animals can show. when our Zeke had a stroke, we put him on a bed in the living room and a vet came out to put him to rest. His young partner in crime, Zoe, sniffed his face, licked his ear, then lay down on the bed against him until he passed. One of the more moving demonstrations of love I have ever seen. Still makes me misty thinking about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy