Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loungers' Pets

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lokar said:
My mother in law's oldest dog was put down a few days ago, she took her to the vet and found out she had a large amount of cancerous tumours. She was the friendliest dog I have ever known, and we miss her!

416452930_e31ff250b0_o.jpg

She also recently got a new puppy, however (not as a gut reaction to losing her first dog), so at least life goes on.

3278649921_ed481d53ac.jpg

Very Sorry Lokar

Lau Mo

Familiar Face
Here is my new little buddy!

217007.jpg

217009.jpg

A betta fish named Ethan (after Ethan Frome). I'm in college, so he is the only type of pet that I can have in my dorm.

I do have a cat as well, at home. I miss her so much when I'm at school. There is nothing like a cuddly feline to come home to at the end of the day.
Here's Patches, among my sister's christmas gifts this year. Excuse my sister's foot lol
Christmas481.jpg

To Lokar and all those who have lost pets, I am so sorry. I know that they become part of the family and the loss is never easy. Just remember: All dogs (and cats and fish and birds, etc.) go to heaven!

bolthead

Sorry to hear that Lokar.....

Lokar said:
My mother in law's oldest dog was put down a few days ago, she took her to the vet and found out she had a large amount of cancerous tumours. She was the friendliest dog I have ever known, and we miss her!

416452930_e31ff250b0_o.jpg

She also recently got a new puppy, however (not as a gut reaction to losing her first dog), so at least life goes on.

3278649921_ed481d53ac.jpg
We just went through the same thing with our female boxer, (Bella). She was only 20 mos.old. It was pretty devastating, I must say.
Bella34.jpg

We just got this little bugger about a week and a 1/2 ago. It's another Boxer, a male this time. He's only 10 weeks old. His name is Jethro. :D
Jethro001.jpg
Jethro005.jpg

Jethro008.jpg

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Our Bird Dog, "Dan"

That's short for Daniel O'Connell..."The Liberator", who made it legal to be a Catholic in Ireland (again, after 300 years) in 1829. He's an Irish Red and White Setter...the foundation stock from which the red Irish dogs everyone knows today were bred in the 1870s. The great period for these dogs was the 18th and 1st half of the 19C....great dogs, with the true calm and sweet setter temperament and wonderful bird sense....they are wonderful at home curled up at your feet....or standing staunch on their birds as you walk in over 'em. Dan is 11 now, and we have his son "Bob" as well, trying to fill his daddy's quite large shoes. Perhaps I'll find some snaps of him, as well.

The first shot is Dan at 9 weeks....the second at 18 months.
finiancircle

finiancircle

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Just looking at his face I can see he is a doggie of piquant character.

My cousin had an English setter, a rare mostly-white one, who was the gentlest soul I ever knew in a dog. She lived, altho at greatly diminished capacity, to age 17!

Kitty sends skritches to all pets, and friendly trills to all felines.

Here is Kitty biting me. She only play bites, but the claws do dig in.

anabolina

A-List Customer
Lau Mo said:
Here is my new little buddy!

217007.jpg

217009.jpg

A betta fish named Ethan (after Ethan Frome). I'm in college, so he is the only type of pet that I can have in my dorm.

I do have a cat as well, at home. I miss her so much when I'm at school. There is nothing like a cuddly feline to come home to at the end of the day.
Here's Patches, among my sister's christmas gifts this year. Excuse my sister's foot lol
Christmas481.jpg

To Lokar and all those who have lost pets, I am so sorry. I know that they become part of the family and the loss is never easy. Just remember: All dogs (and cats and fish and birds, etc.) go to heaven!

I love your Betta, I'm thinking of getting one for my office at work. It can be the Teen Room mascot (I run teen services in a library).

I'm also really sorry for everyone who has lost pets. Pets are such wonderful additions to our lives.

Howard Hughes

One of the Regulars
PET PHOTOGRAPHS

Whatto All.

First of all, I would like to offer my sincere condolences to anyone who has lost, what I believe to be, a member of their family recently. Always a very sad time. Close friends of mine have just lost a cat after twenty years of friendship, extremely sad I think.

Second, and I know we all forget at times, can I just remind everyone not to use the flash option on their camera when photographing animals, they nearly all have very sensitive eyesight, and a camera can actually lead to permanent eye damage.

Keep on loving them and they will love you back.

Toodleoo
HH

Canadave

One Too Many
Howard Hughes said:
...Second, and I know we all forget at times, can I just remind everyone not to use the flash option on their camera when photographing animals, they nearly all have very sensitive eyesight, and a camera can actually lead to permanent eye damage...

Hey HH,

You're obviously a caring person. I couldn't find evidence of flash photography causing eye damage online...can you provide a source?

Thanks very much,

David

Howard Hughes

One of the Regulars
CAMERA FLASH

Whatto David,
If you need evidence that a camera flash will cause eye damage, just turn your camera around, hold the flash part to your eye and press shoot.
Hey presto !....... ten hours in casualty/ER.
I was not trying to reprimand anyone, just give out a friendly reminder to fellow animal lovers, that we, and I include myself, can sometimes act without thinking before we realise the possible consequences.
Hope everyone has had a pleasant weekend.

Toodleoo.
HH

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Howard Hughes said:
Whatto David,
If you need evidence that a camera flash will cause eye damage, just turn your camera around, hold the flash part to your eye and press shoot.
Hey presto !....... ten hours in casualty/ER.

I've had a camera pointed and flashed at my eyes thousands of times in the last 45 years from roughly the same distance that I usually take flash pictures of my animals. Thankfully, no ten-hour visits to the ER yet for that. If a flash bothers my pups they have made very little effort to convey their discomfort.

Again, no evidence online, no mention from any of the dozens of vets I've worked with over the years, no literature that I have ever reviewed (and I have over one hundred books on dogs and many more that I have read in libraries and canine training institutions) relates this concern.

Howard Hughes

One of the Regulars
FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY

Whatto All.
Oh dear !
I seem to have stirred up a hornets nest here.
I must apologise for voicing my concern for the welfare of animals.
No, I am not a vet, and neither am I a dog, or do I speak dog language so I can not speak/nor should should I have spoken on behalf of the species.
Obviously vets do speak dog, and no dog author has ever voiced his concern on the matter, so all is well.

I will happily retract my input to this thread and and apologise to everyone for my gross ignorance.

Puppy say cheese.

Toodleoo
HH

carebear

Howard Hughes said:
Whatto All.
Oh dear !
I seem to have stirred up a hornets nest here.
I must apologise for voicing my concern for the welfare of animals.
No, I am not a vet, and neither am I a dog, or do I speak dog language so I can not speak/nor should should I have spoken on behalf of the species.
Obviously vets do speak dog, and no dog author has ever voiced his concern on the matter, so all is well.

I will happily retract my input to this thread and and apologise to everyone for my gross ignorance.

Puppy say cheese.

Toodleoo
HH

Nice passive-aggressive response. :eusa_clap I give it an 8/10.

Much easier and self-satisfying than simply answering an honest question about a claim of fact with actual evidence in support or just admitting that said claim of fact was, in truth, simply an unsupported opinion, isn't it?

:rolleyes:

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Passing of a friend.

Yesterday, we lost one of our two whippets. Echo is the reddish-colored girl in these photos. Her "house sister", Chloe, misses her terribly...as do we all, but was with her at the end. She was 12 years old and we were blessed with her for ten of those.

A sudden problem with her gait prompted several trips to the vet. On Monday, an x-ray revealed that one of her vertebrae had been eaten away by a cancerous tumor. Although she was in incredible pain, she hardly let on. With no hope for a pain-free or positive outcome, we helped her end her fight.

She was truly "one in a million" and possessd a noble and gentle soul.

buddies-1.jpg

buddies.jpg

Echo.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy