Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Loungers' Pets

fatwoul

Practically Family
ClaraB said:
Fish may not be cuddly but they certainly have their own personalities, definitely pets in my opinion!

KilroyCD said:
I definitely agree with you there...

Glad other people share my view.

KilroyCD said:
...I used to have aquariums, and the fish I had with the biggest personalities were Clown Loaches. Many of them certainly lived up to the first part of their name...

Oh yes lovely fish. Very funny to watch, and to listen to - did yours ever click when they got excited at feeding time? I don't have any, but I had a couple of Tiger Loaches that did that. Excellent snailers too.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
I grew up with a twenty gallon tank in the hall, stocked with everything from guppies to angelfish, and two larger tanks (150 and 200 gallons) filled with koi in the back yard. Fish are pets. :)

Lee

Not to mention the occasional won-at-the-carnival goldfish.

fatwoul

Practically Family
MrNewportCustom said:
I grew up with a twenty gallon tank in the hall, stocked with everything from guppies to angelfish, and two larger tanks (150 and 200 gallons) filled with koi in the back yard. Fish are pets...

Yes. My sister's boyfriend, has this gorgeous reticulated cat. I recently drew a picture of him:

RJM3908b.jpg

He seems to know his name, and definitely reacts differently to different people.

MrNewportCustom said:
Not to mention the occasional won-at-the-carnival goldfish.

I never had much luck with goldfish, but I was very young at the time. lol

KilroyCD

One Too Many
fatwoul said:
Glad other people share my view.

Oh yes lovely fish. Very funny to watch, and to listen to - did yours ever click when they got excited at feeding time? I don't have any, but I had a couple of Tiger Loaches that did that. Excellent snailers too.
Yes, my Clowns did click at feeding time. They also told me when they felt it was time to turn the light out by lining up next to the glass front of the aquarium and rolling over on their sides. They wanted to go to sleep!

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
fatwoal, you reminded me that there is (or was) a catish in one of those outdoor tanks. It's gray, that's all I know about it.

It was caught by a cat, once, and dragged to the other side of the yard. One of my siblings saved it, and scars and all it's lived (or just lived) many more years.

Lee

fatwoul

Practically Family
MrNewportCustom said:
fatwoal, you reminded me that there is (or was) a catish in one of those outdoor tanks. It's gray, that's all I know about it...

Catfish are great. My favourites for sure. Here is my adult bristlenose:

Ancistrus01.jpg

That's a face only a mother could love. lol

I have a tiny breeding pair in another tank, but I am currently trying to find this guy a wife. He might end up with one of the baby females from the other tank. I'll have to name him Jerry Lee Lewis. :D

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
Jack

This is Jack. Jack has no teeth. :)
n28110887_30323330_2172.jpg

I adopted Jack two years ago with my roommates but ended up being the only one that really cared about him and took him with me when I moved out. Jack has no teeth due to gum disease he had while he was with his previous owner and because of his "disability" had been at the humane society for over a year before we adopted him. In the two years that he has lived with me Jack has become the sweetest cat I have ever known.

I decided to post Jack today because a week ago I thought he was dead as he had gone outside in the morning as usual but never came back. He isn't the type to wander, he is elderly and quite slow so this disappearance was highly unusual for him. I spent days looking for him, calling him and eventually assumed he was dead although I never really stopped looking. 8 days later he was waiting on the front step, a bit thinner and very dirty but uninjured and alive. Needless to say Jack is no longer going outside unsupervised, he is too good a friend to let disappear again. :)

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Kudos to you ClaraB

I think it's great that you adopted an older cat with a disability. Too many cats and dogs who are either disabled or elderly (or both) spend too much time, often the rest of their lives, in rescues and shelters because most people want either a perfect animal or a younger one.
A customer of mine told me about two Springer Spaniels that were headed to a rescue. One was five years old, the other eight. I had gone on the rescue's website and saw that they were asking people to consider their older dogs, as they were having a hard time placing the older dogs. This is problem that is not unique to that rescue.
I'm happy to report that the eight year old Springer (named Cocoa) is asleep at my feet as I type this. I know my time with him will be won't be as long, and I'm prepared for that. What I have in return is a big bundle of unconditional love. He's a great dog. Below is a picture of him visiting my father in the nursing home.

Pets023.jpg

Paratrooper

Familiar Face
Nice Springer their KillroyCD, we also have one who is about 7 or 8 yrs old now got from "puppy gulag" when he was 3ish (we were is 5th house so thier are some issues but not many any more) they are great dogs,

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
ClaraB said:
n28110887_30323330_2172.jpg

Cheers for adopting and loving an older feline gent. Give him a rub under his chin and behind his ears from me and then feed him some mushy cat treats for coming back home!

fatwoul

Practically Family
ClaraB said:
...I decided to post Jack today because a week ago I thought he was dead as he had gone outside in the morning as usual but never came back. He isn't the type to wander, he is elderly and quite slow so this disappearance was highly unusual for him. I spent days looking for him, calling him and eventually assumed he was dead although I never really stopped looking. 8 days later he was waiting on the front step, a bit thinner and very dirty but uninjured and alive. Needless to say Jack is no longer going outside unsupervised, he is too good a friend to let disappear again. :)

Wouldn't you just love to know what Jack did during those eight days? Whenever I hear about cats (or dogs) doing that sort of thing, I always wonder what they got up to.

Our first cat Skippy (that particular bush kangaroo was still big on TV at the time) was a stray, and she adopted us on her own terms. In fact, she did so before I was born. She appeared on and off for months, and the first few times she appeared with a kitten, but eventually the kitten vanished. We suspect she ate it, since she never was the most sentimental of creatures. lol

Being a stray of some years by the time she showed up, I have often wondered about the first bit of her life.

Like Jack, she also had no teeth. When she became tame enough, mother took her to the vet and he promptly removed all her teeth.

Unlike Jack, she was a savage animal. Having no teeth didn't stop her from tearing a fully grown pheasant to pieces behind our house. Dustbins knocked over, and blood everywhere. I wasn't allowed in the garden because my parents thought it would mess me up. Talk about closing the barn door after the horses have bolted. :D

As others have said, it's cool of you to have adopted an old cat, and likewise, Kilroy for you to have taken on Cocoa.

There is a charity here that arranges for old cats and old dogs of smaller breeds to be homed with older housebound people. It's just a companionship thing, for people who maybe don't see a lot of other people. A lot of them would like a pet, but are realistic enough to know that the animal might outlive them, so old animals are an ideal solution. Most of the old animals they deal with are given to them by other elderly people who are entering nursing care and can't take their pets with them. It's upsetting for them to have to give up their friends, but the comfort is that they have a much better chance of being re-homed, so again, it's a better solution.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
ClaraB said:
Awwww sweet ol kittykitty. <head skatch>
Keep him close. 8 days out in the world with no teeth surely used up 2 or 3 of his lives.

Yay, rehomers. Our Kitty Foyle belonged to a man who had to go to nursing care. She spent time in a shelter before our relative brought her to us. Now we can't imagine life without our punkinhead ratbag.

Kishtu

Practically Family
Yay rehomers indeed, but....

Please spare a thought for those "free to good home" guys in the pet shop windows.

The Phantom Menace was a freebie - an accidental freebie, no less - the original plan was that we were going to see Pride & Prejudice at the flicks. Oh, just cast an eye over them, we thought, it's not like we can have one it's just for a bit of fun to go and admire kitties.

Cue 6 week old, flea-ridden, worm-ridden, catflu-ridden kitten the size of a carton of orange juice, the runt of a litter and the last surviving kitten. (Cat flu... not a good way to go.....) Used litter and cat mess scratted up the sides of the cupboards, house stinking, cats slinking everywhere. We asked when we could pick him up.... guy said "now if you want, he's eating solid food,we give him leftovers out of the blender".

If we hadn't taken him there and then, the chances are he would not have survived.
picture.jpg
Look at that little face and tell me you could have left him there!

IMG_0669.jpg

And this is him now.....

The Shirt

Practically Family
DSC00633.jpg

Here is my little brussels griffon with his mohawk thinking of Chinese food.

Picture002.jpg

And here looking like a little furry bug.

(Sorry I can't figure out how to re-size)
My next dog will have either 3 legs or one eye. Strange but somehow a moral imperative in my mind.

ClaraB

One of the Regulars
fatwoul said:
Wouldn't you just love to know what Jack did during those eight days? Whenever I hear about cats (or dogs) doing that sort of thing, I always wonder what they got up to.

Its time like these that I wish animals could talk because I'd love to hear where Jackie went while he was missing. A theory posed by my father is that considering Jack was gone over Columbus Day weekend, aka Thanksgiving in Canada, and Jack was adopted in Toronto, thus making him a Canadian Kitty, perhaps he was on holiday for Thanksgiving. lol A more likely theory is he was scared away from the house by something and couldn't make his way back or someone picked him up and took him somewhere (petnapping-it is a sad truth about the area I live in) All I know for sure is that I am extremely lucky to have my kitty back.

Thanks for sharing your story about Skippy Fatwoul, she sounds like one fierce feline!

This is a great thread, I love to see everyone's pets and hear their stories!
( Isn't that furry little bug above this post adorable?!?)

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
The Shirt said:
DSC00633.jpg

My next dog will have either 3 legs or one eye. Strange but somehow a moral imperative in my mind.

I love Brussels Griffons! They look like little wookies to me. :) How are they personality/temperament wise?

And one of the best dogs I've ever known, Stoney the Scottish Terrier, had only one eye. He actually saved my life from a charging bull when I lived on a farm as a little girl! He was a tenacious little bugger and the smartest dog I have ever known. He wouldn't let strangers near my brother & I. My dad had to lock Stoney up if we were getting spankings because he would bite my dad for trying to spank us.

epr25

Practically Family
Those cats are so odd. I like them though. I have never had the pleasure of meeting one in person but would like to. Are they soft? I imagine them feeling kind of like a horses nose?

griffer said:
My wife submitted a picture of my baby Josephine to KittenWars.com and they put her in their book!

My Josephine is a model.

Ok, no really she's a pink and blue mackerel Sphynx cat...

Kitten Wars - the Book

Here's the pic that was cropped and featured-

IMG_2815-1.jpg

And another, cause she's so cute...
IMG_2784.jpg

IMG_3262.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo