Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Love the Smell of Horsehide on a Summer Evening

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
With apologies to "Apocalypse Now" but 93 degrees and this jacket you definitely have to love the smell of Horsehide. Got this from Aero on Friday and I really dig it. Looking forward to winter and riding to work on the Harley with this "puppy" on.

239.jpg

243.jpg

242.jpg

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Looks like your Aero is a half belt deluxe with fur collar. My highwayman just arrived from Scotland three days ago, and I can't take the smile off my face. Oneterrifihog, I grew up in your neck of the woods on the side of Missionary Ridge. If it is any consolation to you, it is about 10 degrees hotter in Texas than east Tennessee.

AEROHWM1.jpg

AEROHWM2.jpg

AEROHWM3.jpg

AEROHWM4.jpg

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Looks like your Aero is a half belt deluxe with fur collar. My highwayman just arrived from Scotland three days ago, and I can't take the smile off my face. Oneterrifihog, I grew up in your neck of the woods on the side of Missionary Ridge. If it is any consolation to you, it is about 10 degrees hotter in Texas than east Tennessee.

Yep got the grin too! This vintage horsehide is great! I had a Highwayman made out of it in black a few years back but the brown is wonderful.

We moved up to Chattanooga about 17 years ago and love it. We were from Atlanta originally but I have to admit I like Tennessee a lot more. Where else can one get on a motorcycle and be out in the country in less than 5 minutes>unless of course you live in the country.

Windward

Practically Family
Oh yes, I can smell the horsehide ... the jacket looks real great with the midbrown mouton fur collar ... no doubt, absolutely "deluxe" !!!
Possibly you can convert the jacket into an "spring - jacket" if you leave the studded cuffs open ... just a thought.

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Oh yes, I can smell the horsehide ... the jacket looks real great with the midbrown mouton fur collar ... no doubt, absolutely "deluxe" !!!
Possibly you can convert the jacket into an "spring - jacket" if you leave the studded cuffs open ... just a thought.

The thought is appealing but in Tennessee we not only have heat but some serious humidity....For now I am breaking this "bad boy" in via air conditioning and down in the basement testing out sleeve length while sitting on the Harley.

The only hint of horsehide in my days now is a wallet I bought this spring. Indeed, I take it out sometimes just to get that smell...how many months until fall???

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Nope, the brown Highwayman is steerhide, thick but pliable and doesn't feel stiff. The steer probably lived in Texas too before being sent to Scotland!

Nope, the brown Highwayman is steerhide, thick but pliable and doesn't feel stiff. The steer probably lived in Texas too before being sent to Scotland!
I briefly had one too James, and yes, it's much more pliable than the HH. All the cow/steer jackets I've owned have been as well, sans one motorcycle jacket from Vanson years back.

mattp

One of the Regulars
I briefly had one too James, and yes, it's much more pliable than the HH. All the cow/steer jackets I've owned have been as well, sans one motorcycle jacket from Vanson years back.

I've never seen cow as stiff as that from Vanson, I've got one that still stands up on its own after 6 months of heavy use. I think of it as my warm-up jacket, before I get the horsehide!

oneterrifichog: That is a beauty! I never considered the Deluxe to be a jacket I'd go for, but it's back on the list after seeing yours. The only problem is not living somewhere cold enough to call for that sort of warmth...

Last edited:

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
No harm in wearin' the jacket in high heat/humidity for a pic. Now, you go off hikin up a nearby hill or "mountain" in that jacket, in beastly heat, and you'd be crazy as a peach orchard bore fo shore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran