Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

low heel heights in shoes

LizzieMaine

Bartender
This is one of my grouses as well -- I'm 5' 6", in an area where tall women are not all that common, and 3 inch heels make me tower over most everyone around me. While 3+ inch heel heights did exist during the Era, they were much less common for everyday wear than 2 inches or so. My best theory is that modern repro makers are simply going along with modern expectations of heel height, which have gotten progressively higher over the years. As far as surviving vintage shoes are concerned, well, I suspect the more reasonable heel heights *were* worn everyday, and thus wore *out*. Most of the shoes that survived are those that were saved for special occasion wear, and thus higher heels are more common than they were at the time.

CherryCake

New in Town
Yes, that one of my concerns aswell.
I confess: I can't walk very well in high heel but I'm in training. But I would really like to find nice pair of shoes with maybe a 1 1/2 inch heel.
I don't really like that most repro shoes have 3 inch heel or even more..

But I found these at a swedish webshop:
ProductZoom.aspx

The heels are almost 2 inches high and I think they're really pretty (just ordered them).

/Ingrid

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Lizzie is spot on with her comments about surviving.

We have to remember, in all vintage stuff, we only see the -survivors-. It is by no means an even representation of what was out there back then.

We see the best/better made or cared for dresses....shoes, purses...etc...which is a fraction of what was existant when they were -new- clothes.

Ellie Jane

New in Town
Ooh Cherrycake those are nice.
I can't walk in high heels either, and they certainly aren't practical for me at work. How ladies can stand in 3in heels all day is beyond me. I could be so much more glam if I had a desk job *sigh* lol

BonnieJean

Practically Family
comfortable vintage-styled shoes

I have all three colors of these and they are extremely comfortable. (I think they're having a 40% sale--click on the homepage to see it.) I can wear them all day with ease. I just wish they came in more colors. Since I wear them a lot, they've gotten scuffed up a bit in a few places, but with my wide flat feet, these are the greatest. Some museum curator friends of mine thought they were original vintage shoes. I figure that's good enough for me!

phyllis1753

New in Town
texasgirl said:
Have ya'll heard about the Camileon High Heels. They are adjustable. They can be 3" or you can lower them to 1 1/4". It's an interesting idea, although they are quite expensive. And I haven't seen them in person, just online. But here's an example:

Is this taking the phrase "stilleto heel" a bit too literal? :D Interesting concept, anyway; but I'll take my low heel Hushpuppies just the same.

Cheers!

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
Good points, everyone.

I have one pair of fairly low vintage heels, but they're really not in the best condition. They were so cheap that I couldn't resist, though! I use them more for dancing than anything.

I walk a LOT. My feet are my primary mode of transportation, and I walk several miles daily to and from school, between my apartment, grocery store, and other destinations in town. My feet started aching since I was wearing those archless Kung Fu maryjanes everywhere. To build up my arches again, I just purchased a pair of Grasshoppers:
EF19212.GRA-NAVY_L.jpg

They look a little wedged, but they feel like normal sneakers! The shape is very flattering, and the shoes match a lot of my casual vintage clothes, especially nautical designs and colors.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
I have a couple of frieds that LOVE these grasshoppers...to wear and dance in! They have a very low wedge, so it's the transition size between flats and regular wedges!

katiemakeup

Practically Family
texasgirl said:
Have ya'll heard about the Camileon High Heels. They are adjustable. They can be 3" or you can lower them to 1 1/4". It's an interesting idea, although they are quite expensive. And I haven't seen them in person, just online. But here's an example:

camelia_1.jpg
camelia_3.jpg

ScreenHunter_01Aug2709.16.jpg

http://www.camileonheels.com/productdetail.cfm?productid=1001

Well I'll be darned!! I'd be afraid I would get too animated telling a story and pop! There goes my heel.

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the lead, gluegungeisha! I do about the same amount of walking around the city/campus as you do, and my feet always ache after a long day in cheap flats or heels/wedges-- these look like something I should definitely try! I have bad arches, so its so hard to find shoes with good support that aren't big bulky gym shoes. These look great! Thanks!

Caledonia

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
Lizzie is spot on with her comments about surviving.

We have to remember, in all vintage stuff, we only see the -survivors-. It is by no means an even representation of what was out there back then.

Got to concur with that too. I've had over 100 pairs pass through my hands and most are 2.5 to 3 in height or more, and that has to reflect the survival rate. However, even the ones that are clearly supposed to be regular day wear are rarely less than 2.5. I don't have any difficulty with well made shoes at 3 inch height or higher. If they fit and support, they're walkable, but it's the lack of original variety that gets me. As regards the repro versions, I would think that perhaps it isn't so much that we are more used to higher heels, it's that the look that we want is dictated by what we see in pictures, movies, and see for sale (real vintage I mean). Possibly the old photos are of ladies a tad shorter than the current average with correspondingly smaller feet. Additionally, the surviving pairs for sale tend to be in smaller sizes. Even a 2 inch heel can look becomingly curvy on a small foot, and that's the look we think was the norm, forgetting that there were a lot of larger feet out there too. So to get us to buy, the reproduction manufacturers use a heel height that creates the look, and as a result we're stuck with approximately 3 inches or more. I have a larger foot (US 8.5 -9), and it took me ages to accept that I was rarely going to find a shoe that gave me the Sears/Vogue etc look, because it really is a "sales" pitch. Shoes were designed so that the foot looked shorter and curvier, and as far as I can tell the catalogue pictures emphasise this look. However, I can confirm from some lucky finds that even a larger foot can get the look in genuine vintage - but it does come with a higher heel price to pay.

satindoll

New in Town
Hi Everyone
Have been lurking here off and on for ages and have been meaning to register for the longest time! Anyway, just got around to it and was catching up on some of the posts, when I found this one.

I had bookmarked these shoes a while back and thought those of you looking for vintage style shoes with a low heel might be interested. They're only 2" high and the cutaway style is an interesting twist on the classic maryjane.
maryjanes.jpg

You can find them at http://www.jjill.com

Also, just want to let everyone know how much I have loved reading all your posts. There is so much useful and fun information here and I've actually written posts on my vintage style blog about different products recommended on this forum. So I thought it was about time I joined in!

Anyway, hope to be a loyal contributor, and not just a lurker, from now on.

Theresa

dostacos

Practically Family
forgive me ladies, but I must pipe up about high heels.

1. the first heels were on the sandals of Cesar's army, he had noticed that his troop's sandals wore out at the heel before the rest of the sandal. He had a second layer of leather and they lasted longer and wore out uniformly. Point being a high heel is not mandatory for shoes. WHY do you think guys generally are much more comfortable in their shoes? they won't suffer pain for "FASHION"

2. the high heel as it is today is to create a more shapely calf [too high and in my opinion you lose that]
3. high heels are sized too small on the foot. The forefoot must me tight to keep from sliding into the front of the shoe, then the heel needs to be tight so it does not pop off. don't believe me? take a weight bearing tracing of your foot, cut it out and TRY to put it inside the high heel shoe without the paper curling up inside:eek:
4. #3 causes bunions and other foot problems
5. the high heel also makes your BOTTOM look bigger:eek:
6. The high heel repositions the pelvis causing potential problems with pregnancy [your belly muscles are aligned so they must pull UP instead of front to back, much more stress.
7. Long term high heels and the natural aging process can cause circulation problems resulting in lower limb amputations [in the past men and women died from this type of problem, usually diabetes but with health care as it is now the patients are surviving the initial problem. This would be the bunion pressure and lack of circulation causing a breakdown of the skin, which do to the circulation problem does not heal properly.
8. womens high heeled shoes are generally designed by men who don't really like women:( [ok that one is more or less a joke]

Now I would like to say that I am a PROFESSIONAL leg man and I have the paper on the wall to prove it.!:whistling

I would also like to point out, yes I do like looking at nice legs, however, I have treated far too many women with these problems to not encourage all 'yall to keep the HIGH high heels to a minimum.

Remember the only time Cybil Shepard wore heels on Moon Lighting was when you saw her feet, other wise she wore tennis shoes while filming. Look close the next Oscars she will be wearing tennies;)

If all the women refused the 3INCH heel they would stop making them, I am not saying never wear heels, just try to keep them in the 2inch or lower as often as possible. I am trying to look out for all ya'all, if I had a sister I would give her this advise. as it is, my DIL got the speech:D

Dan

PS, don't think it is only a problem of the elderly, I currently work in a children's hospital and we do bunion surgery all the time:(

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the info, Dan. I try to keep my heels to 2in or lower and generally only for special occasion wear.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Dr. speaks truth!

dostacos said:
forgive me ladies, but I must pipe up about high heels.

1. the first heels were on the sandals of Cesar's army, he had noticed that his troop's sandals wore out at the heel before the rest of the sandal. He had a second layer of leather and they lasted longer and wore out uniformly. Point being a high heel is not mandatory for shoes. WHY do you think guys generally are much more comfortable in their shoes? they won't suffer pain for "FASHION"

2. the high heel as it is today is to create a more shapely calf [too high and in my opinion you lose that]
3. high heels are sized too small on the foot. The forefoot must me tight to keep from sliding into the front of the shoe, then the heel needs to be tight so it does not pop off. don't believe me? take a weight bearing tracing of your foot, cut it out and TRY to put it inside the high heel shoe without the paper curling up inside:eek:
4. #3 causes bunions and other foot problems
5. the high heel also makes your BOTTOM look bigger:eek:
6. The high heel repositions the pelvis causing potential problems with pregnancy [your belly muscles are aligned so they must pull UP instead of front to back, much more stress.
7. Long term high heels and the natural aging process can cause circulation problems resulting in lower limb amputations [in the past men and women died from this type of problem, usually diabetes but with health care as it is now the patients are surviving the initial problem. This would be the bunion pressure and lack of circulation causing a breakdown of the skin, which do to the circulation problem does not heal properly.
8. womens high heeled shoes are generally designed by men who don't really like women:( [ok that one is more or less a joke]

Now I would like to say that I am a PROFESSIONAL leg man and I have the paper on the wall to prove it.!:whistling

I would also like to point out, yes I do like looking at nice legs, however, I have treated far too many women with these problems to not encourage all 'yall to keep the HIGH high heels to a minimum.

Remember the only time Cybil Shepard wore heels on Moon Lighting was when you saw her feet, other wise she wore tennis shoes while filming. Look close the next Oscars she will be wearing tennies;)

If all the women refused the 3INCH heel they would stop making them, I am not saying never wear heels, just try to keep them in the 2inch or lower as often as possible. I am trying to look out for all ya'all, if I had a sister I would give her this advise. as it is, my DIL got the speech:D

Dan

PS, don't think it is only a problem of the elderly, I currently work in a children's hospital and we do bunion surgery all the time:(

Most important to wear shoes that fit! Even a high heel can be comfortable if the width is correct (difficult for my 6 1/2 EEE feet), if there's a strap to hold them on so they don't have to be too tight, if the arch matches up with your foot's arch, and if you don't have the heel too high for your foot length!
Of course, ever since WWII they have not made most shoes in multiple sizes. I look at old shoe ads and weep.

dostacos

Practically Family
Miss 1929 said:
Most important to wear shoes that fit! Even a high heel can be comfortable if the width is correct (difficult for my 6 1/2 EEE feet), if there's a strap to hold them on so they don't have to be too tight, if the arch matches up with your foot's arch, and if you don't have the heel too high for your foot length!
Of course, ever since WWII they have not made most shoes in multiple sizes. I look at old shoe ads and weep.
true, unfortunately most shoe salesmen well sell small and tight
rather than miss a sale.

then there is the "I have ALWAYS worn a 6AA" yeah and youlol always should have worn a 7EE :eek: I also used to sell shoes a LONG time ago, I would use the Brannock device that really says the proper shoe size. The first women I met that did not care what shoe size she wore I married [actually that was a bonus, I married the first NURSE I met that knew how to show a patient how to donn a brace]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana