Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lunch, Anybody?

Fifty150

One Too Many
when there are people in the world going to bed hungry, who even uses food for decorative purposes?!

Not me. Halloween wasn't celebrated at my house. I have never bought a decorative pumpkin. Enough people do, that there's more than 1 type of pumpkin grown for decorative purposes.

Screenshot_2021-09-23-02-44-13.png

ThankfulGirl

New in Town
IMG_0145[1].JPG The squash soup, sprinkled with feta cheese and chilli flakes. Also, "Annie Beckett's tea plates" but my grandmother's next door neighbour's tea service (c.1930s) is a subject for another day altogether. The soup was splendid but very filling!

Fifty150

One Too Many
Baked a loaf of bread with jalapeno and cheese. Roasted a tri tip past medium to pink for sandwich meat. I found that rare and medium rare meat tends to drip red meat juice (blood) onto bread, making a pink mush. That doesn't work as well when you are packing a sandwich for lunch.

I told this friend of mine the story of when I was a kid, how I spent a summer in Mexico, and baked a loaf of bread for a hooker. She got this wistful look on her face, and asked, "What happened to the girl after that?"

What? What was I suppose to do? Take her with me as I rode out of town? Rescue her from a life of commercial sex? Marry her? No. I left her. I left her there, at the whorehouse. It wasn't a "Rom-Com". I was just a kid. A teenager. Hiding out in Mexico, so I wouldn't get shot. She was a hooker. In a roadhouse bordello, on a dusty 2 lane road, in the desert, miles from nowhere. I went home. Whereupon the cops rounded up the usual suspects, and took me in for questioning.

CameraZOOM-20210928142241980.jpg
CameraZOOM-20210928142103498.jpg
CameraZOOM-20210928182516361.jpg
CameraZOOM-20210928181711517.jpg
CameraZOOM-20210928181958543.jpg
PSX_20210928_183501.jpg
PSX_20210928_183533.jpg
c

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Two eye of round steaks. Had planned on a BLT for lunch but since I forgot to grab rye bread
at the grocers this morning opted plan B instead.
A habit of always forgetting some item writ across my mind list is typical but once at the cash register,
even if I suddenly recall said missed, I call a third strike. The hell with it. Cause I ain't goin back.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Spicy Ahi Poke and beer.
We were regrouping after my wife was denied entry into the Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum because she was vaccinated with AstraZeneca in Europe and that vaccine was not on their list. Did it matter that AstraZeneca has been approved by the World Health Organization (and approved by 122 countries)? That my wife had been a teacher and was mandated to receive the jab by the Austrian government? Irrelevant. AstraZeneca was not on their list. Her supervisor agreed: the list was the list. He recommended we call the COVID hotline. Unthinking Zombie Bureaucrats will be the death of us all. The reason we wanted to go to the Aviation Museum was that my wife’s father had been a Marine Corps fighter pilot in the Pacific during WWII. Idiots.
Thanks for letting me vent. :(
But the Poke and beer was good.

Last edited:

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
Living not too far from the Columbia River and the Pacific holds the perk of accessibility to salmon in multiple variations. You can get it in any grocery store but it likely has been frozen before put on sale. So, freshness being an issue, Friday we took a trip up the Gorge from Portland, ending up in Cascade Locks, Oregon. Quite literally in the shadow of the Bridge of the Gods (it spans the river into Washington) members of a local Native American tribe sell varieties of salmon (whole, filleted, smoked, fresh) and I bought some fillets.

My wife just prepared a superb Sunday dinner: baked salmon and veggies on a bed of white rice. She doesn't eat fish and prepares it (somewhat) under protest: can't stand the smell. Whereas, I love the stuff and could live on it.

Fifty150

One Too Many
You would think that when you live where seafood is abundant, the price point would be lower. Instead, it's higher. Because of demand for seafood in places where they can't catch it, the local market area has to pay more. I see it in all of our local fisheries. Dungeness crab. Salmon. Rockfish. Steelhead. Stripers. Sea Urchin. Oyster. It's quite a long list. It also applies to our local produce, dairy, livestock....... even textiles and fuel. Someone in France or Japan is willing to pay $$$ to have our oyster or sea urchin flown over there. So the wholesaler makes more money selling it globally. If we want to eat it, we have to pay just as much, and sometimes more, as an incentive for the wholesaler not to fly it over there.

So trivial. Yet it really ticks you off.

Fifty150

One Too Many
At this time of the year, the grocery store has "pie pumpkin". Actually edible. Not like those carving pumpkins which are not grown to be consumed as food. Cut it. Scoop out the seeds. Cook it. Eat it. Very tasty.

Turnip

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Organic whole grain bread with Barbecue sauce and Austrian cheese, Poppy roll with Butter from Berghof-Town and chocolate streusels.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Impromptu office pizza party Friday. Was just gonna put in a polite appearance, do a circulate-percolate
then vamoozze back to desk, butttt the best pizza pie I ever had. Sausage, cheese, and pep-roni,
started and couldn't stop myself. Kibbitzed the game, knocked off more pie than when in college.
Stuffed. Went hog wild over that sausage. Offered some cup cakes which I chivalrously declined,
saying if I started I wouldn't be able to stop-as I was opening another round of pizza poker dealer's choice.
:D

Normally, I avoid Asia imbiss. Today, I got 8 "mini springrolls" with a sauce cup for 2 bucks, just for fun. Nice, but the sauce was too sweet.

But with ready fridge springrolls, you always go secure. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot