Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

hambone71

Practically Family
That really turned out nice. Congratulations!
What a hat! Congrats to you and Michael.
Thanks guys! I'm really pleased with this one. But I've been well pleased with all 3 of my Gannons. I will say that the batch of felt bodies this one was made from is significantly stiffer than my previous Gannons, most notably in the brim. Michael confirmed this as well.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Thanks guys! I'm really pleased with this one. But I've been well pleased with all 3 of my Gannons. I will say that the batch of felt bodies this one was made from is significantly stiffer than my previous Gannons, most notably in the brim. Michael confirmed this as well.

I know some folks like their hats to be very soft, but I've had a couple over the years that were too soft to hold a consistent shape. That drove me crazy because I usually have specific ideas for each hat. So SOME stiffness is not a bad thing, in my opinion.

Mighty44

One Too Many
My latest Gannon. Inspired by the Wanderer model. Steel dress weight beaver, charcoal mid ribbon, cream liner, and burgundy sweat. 5 1/2” open crown, 2 5/8” BEB. Merry Christmas to me!
View attachment 573148 View attachment 573149 View attachment 573150 View attachment 573151 View attachment 573152 View attachment 573153 View attachment 573154
Beautiful—I have one almost identical!
IMG_7224.jpeg

hambone71

Practically Family
I know some folks like their hats to be very soft, but I've had a couple over the years that were too soft to hold a consistent shape. That drove me crazy because I usually have specific ideas for each hat. So SOME stiffness is not a bad thing, in my opinion.
Oh, I'm more than pleased with this one. I didn't use steam, but spritzed it with some distilled water and it has held it's shape beautifully. I agree, the amount of stiffness in this one is not a bad thing at all.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
The Gannon Ranch Hand

I talked with Michael about a no-frills working hat; something that would make a statement but not be too big a hat and also something that would not so easily show dust and dirt. An every day, grab-and-go hat that resides on the hook by the back door, not in some box in the back room. I found a pattern for a short brimmed thin ribbon and Michael did the rest using a beaver felt in Pecan. This one is 5 1/2 open and I added a center crease with a 1 inch rake, back to front. Like most Pecan felts, I suspect, depending on the light, the color photographs grey/green to grey/brown.

This hat is classic Gannon with a silky smooth finish. As much as I love Michael's oh-so-soft dress hats, I had him add a bit more stiffness to this one for a little more heft and body I need in an everyday hat.

Another great Gannon, indeed!

Good Golly I Got another Great Gannon!

20240113_161352.jpg 20240113_161324.jpg 20240113_161441.jpg 20240113_161508.jpg 20240113_161606.jpg 20240113_152704.jpg 20240113_161736.jpg

hambone71

Practically Family
The Gannon Ranch Hand

I talked with Michael about a no-frills working hat; something that would make a statement but not be too big a hat and also something that would not so easily show dust and dirt. An every day, grab-and-go hat that resides on the hook by the back door, not in some box in the back room. I found a pattern for a short brimmed thin ribbon and Michael did the rest using a beaver felt in Pecan. This one is 5 1/2 open and I added a center crease with a 1 inch rake, back to front. Like most Pecan felts, I suspect, depending on the light, the color photographs grey/green to grey/brown.

This hat is classic Gannon with a silky smooth finish. As much as I love Michael's oh-so-soft dress hats, I had him add a bit more stiffness to this one for a little more heft and body I need in an everyday hat.

View attachment 579987 View attachment 579988 View attachment 579989 View attachment 579990 View attachment 579992 View attachment 579994 View attachment 579995
Another work of art! Looks like a hat I'd see on Gunsmoke. I'm a fan of that hat!

Woodtroll

One Too Many
The Gannon Ranch Hand

View attachment 579987 View attachment 579988 View attachment 579989 View attachment 579990 View attachment 579992 View attachment 579994 View attachment 579995

That's a good-lookin' Western Gannon, Randy. Congratulations!

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
The Gannon Ranch Hand

A very handsome, no frills hat that seems to suit you well Randy. I hope you gets lots of great use out of it!

This is part of a message I received from Michael yesterday:

“…. I am not sure how much business I am going to be doing going forward. I am not able to get hat bodies from Winchester anymore and I have not found an alternative source.”

Michael is trying to stock more FEPSA felt in beaver and rabbit (he has a few in stock), along with western weight beaver from Millinery Warehouse. I know it’s coming up to 1 ½ years since Michael ordered a special felt from Winchester to me and there is currently no expectation that it will ever be filled. The non-Winchester felt is more expensive and I think we can reasonably expect his prices to go up some. I think that’s more than fair.

He does still have some Winchester felt on hand as well as a few FEPSA bodies. I’m going to try my first FEPSA rabbit Gannon and I’m going to see if I can get a wafer brim edge.

hambone71

Practically Family

“…. I am not sure how much business I am going to be doing going forward. I am not able to get hat bodies from Winchester anymore and I have not found an alternative source.”

Michael is trying to stock more FEPSA felt in beaver and rabbit (he has a few in stock), along with western weight beaver from Millinery Warehouse. I know it’s coming up to 1 ½ years since Michael ordered a special felt from Winchester to me and there is currently no expectation that it will ever be filled. The non-Winchester felt is more expensive and I think we can reasonably expect his prices to go up some. I think that’s more than fair.

He does still have some Winchester felt on hand as well as a few FEPSA bodies. I’m going to try my first FEPSA rabbit Gannon and I’m going to see if I can get a wafer brim edge.
Good info, Brent. Thanks for sharing!

Mighty44

One Too Many

Sorry to hear this, Brent. Do you know what the issue is with Winchester?

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
You are not making me happy, Brent. Just so you know!

Michael is a great guy and a great milliner I hope things work out.

Gannon Gambler
20231103_182959.jpg 20231103_183057.jpg

Sorry to hear this, Brent. Do you know what the issue is with Winchester?

Lots of hatters are having a hard time getting felt from Winchester. Robert @belfastboy was told that Winchester can’t get people to work at their felt plant so they are running way below pre-Covid capacity. Winchester hasn’t accepted new customers for years and in the last couple of years they have dropped some of their smaller volume customers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW