Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M.C. Gannon Hat Company

This hat has a lot of firsts for me and for Gannon. I believe it’s the first vented crown hat he’s made. It’s the first hat with three rows of concentric brim stitching he’s made, and it’s the first rabbit fur felt hat I’ve received from Michael (my first, not his). I believe it could also be the first non-Winchester sourced rabbit fur felt from Gannon, but that’s just a guess. I sourced the felt and sent it to Gannon. The red liner is just tucked behind the sweatband and when the weather warms I’ll remove it to take full advantage of the venting.

The open crown is approximately 6 ⅝” (not a typo) and the brim is 2 ⅞” wide.

View attachment 487237 View attachment 487238 View attachment 487239 View attachment 487240 View attachment 487241 View attachment 487242 View attachment 487243 View attachment 487244

It’s vaguely inspired by the Playboy, but certainly not a clone.
That is a stunner!

buler

I'll Lock Up
Love the brim stitching and the crown vent Brent! I wonder how Michael liked doing the stitching. When I had Art do 2 rows he wasn't so happy about it. Hard to keep it evenly spaced.

ILB Frank

One of the Regulars
This hat has a lot of firsts for me and for Gannon. I believe it’s the first vented crown hat he’s made. It’s the first hat with three rows of concentric brim stitching he’s made, and it’s the first rabbit fur felt hat I’ve received from Michael (my first, not his). I believe it could also be the first non-Winchester sourced rabbit fur felt from Gannon, but that’s just a guess. I sourced the felt and sent it to Gannon. The red liner is just tucked behind the sweatband and when the weather warms I’ll remove it to take full advantage of the venting.

View attachment 487237 View attachment 487238 View attachment 487239 View attachment 487240 View attachment 487241 View attachment 487242 View attachment 487243 View attachment 487244

Tall crown: ✔
Red liner: ✔
Gannon: ✔

Yep. That's a winner.

I think the 6 1/2" crown (give or take) is just about the sweet spot for hats.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up

Sweet baby blue! Yes, another excellent Gannon.

Mighty44

One Too Many

That is a real beauty, Brent and is likely going to influence my hat in Michael’s queue. A total knock out—congrats!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

Totally grand! Stunner fedora Brent. Congrats to you and Michael on the collaboration. I love the felt hue and proportions shown in your pic. I presume that is your "high Crown" normal. Looks sharp. The mid-ribbon, to my eye makes it an everyday hat. Town and country fedora I say.

What felt is the hat made with? I see some small discolorations is that stem and water spots or other? Excellent in appearance. The pic conveys a solft easy creased crown.

The stitching combined with the vent is over the top spectacular. The slight irregularity of the stitching shows the exquisit craftsmanship.

Congrats again Brent. Cheers, Eric -

Totally grand! Stunner fedora Brent. Congrats to you and Michael on the collaboration. I love the felt hue and proportions shown in your pic. I presume that is your "high Crown" normal. Looks sharp. The mid-ribbon, to my eye makes it an everyday hat. Town and country fedora I say.

What felt is the hat made with? I see some small discolorations is that stem and water spots or other? Excellent in appearance. The pic conveys a solft easy creased crown.

The stitching combined with the vent is over the top spectacular. The slight irregularity of the stitching shows the exquisit craftsmanship.

Congrats again Brent. Cheers, Eric -

Thanks, Eric. You have keen eyes: there is a bit of light mottling in the felt, it isn’t due to water. The felt was very limp and unlike Winchester’s offerings there isn’t a “shellac core.” Michael had to add stiffeners to the felt, but it’s still very light and easily creased. I’m not sure if the light mottling is due to the felt manufacturing or it it was a result of adding stiffeners later. Either way, the mottling is light and doesn’t bother me. The felt was sourced from the UK via Etsy. Michael said he liked the felt as much as Winchester’s rabbit, but prefers working with hat bodies with a shellac core.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Eric. You have keen eyes: there is a bit of light mottling in the felt, it isn’t due to water. The felt was very limp and unlike Winchester’s offerings there isn’t a “shellac core.” Michael had to add stiffeners to the felt, but it’s still very light and easily creased. I’m not sure if the light mottling is due to the felt manufacturing or it it was a result of adding stiffeners later. Either way, the mottling is light and doesn’t bother me. The felt was sourced from the UK via Etsy. Michael said he liked the felt as much as Winchester’s rabbit, but prefers working with hat bodies with a shellac core.

Thanks for the info Brent. Interesting info about the felt hoods. I understand that the stiffener is applied during manufacturer (after dye)through the felt and rolled to get an even finish. The manufcturers use a shellac-based stiffener.

I read again this morning about the Making of a Fur Felt Hatbody here - https://millineryhub.com.au/what-is/making-fur-felt-hatbody/

My Gannon "Playboy" using the bluemist hood (sourced from you) has the same issue. I really enjoy the hat. The slight mottling does not bother me at all. I think the bluemist beaver Winchester felt is just so darn cool a hue.

All told your new Gannon is a grand hat Brent.

hambone71

Practically Family
Well gents, I've been through every page of this thread over the last week, as time allowed. Mind you, I did not read every word. I mainly checked out the pictures and then read what was said about the pics. But I also caught myself reading quite a few comments not related to a specific picture. I've seen a lot of great hats in this thread and decided I have to have one. I reached out to Michael and commissioned my first ever custom hat. He's been great to communicate with. He has me on his list and will contact me when I'm on deck. I guess it could be months before I can get my hands on one but that's ok.

Thank you to all who have contributed to this thread and shared pics and info. As I go back through and study pics and styles, etc, I hope its ok if I reach out to some you and ask for specs and thoughts on a certain hat and so forth.

Thanks again,
Phil

Mighty44

One Too Many
Well gents, I've been through every page of this thread over the last week, as time allowed. Mind you, I did not read every word. I mainly checked out the pictures and then read what was said about the pics. But I also caught myself reading quite a few comments not related to a specific picture. I've seen a lot of great hats in this thread and decided I have to have one. I reached out to Michael and commissioned my first ever custom hat. He's been great to communicate with. He has me on his list and will contact me when I'm on deck. I guess it could be months before I can get my hands on one but that's ok.

Thank you to all who have contributed to this thread and shared pics and info. As I go back through and study pics and styles, etc, I hope its ok if I reach out to some you and ask for specs and thoughts on a certain hat and so forth.

Thanks again,
Phil
Congrats--he is a pleasure to work with and his hats are wonderful.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

Thanks again,
Phil

Welcome Phil. Glad to see your post. Anything strike your fancy at this early moment?

Best, Eric -

hambone71

Practically Family
Welcome Phil. Glad to see your post. Anything strike your fancy at this early moment?

Best, Eric -
Yes sir! All of your hats strike my fancy! I asked Michael about a 40’s inspired Stratoliner to which he said, “no problem, I can do that.” However, I’m intrigued by your hats called Wanderer. Help me out here, what is the difference, besides the ribbon treatment, between a vintage Strat and Gannon Wanderer? I love the shape of your wanderers. They appear to be very similar. I’m drawn to the more boxy, straight sided crowns and brims of 2.5” or slightly over. I also like the vintage OR shape with a diamond or teardrop bash. Needless to say, I was all on board for a vintage Strat clone but now I’m not so sure.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Yes sir! All of your hats strike my fancy! I asked Michael about a 40’s inspired Stratoliner to which he said, “no problem, I can do that.” However, I’m intrigued by your hats called Wanderer. Help me out here, what is the difference, besides the ribbon treatment, between a vintage Strat and Gannon Wanderer? I love the shape of your wanderers. They appear to be very similar. I’m drawn to the more boxy, straight sided crowns and brims of 2.5” or slightly over. I also like the vintage OR shape with a diamond or teardrop bash. Needless to say, I was all on board for a vintage Strat clone but now I’m not so sure.

Gannon Wanderer examples:

i-MJBPpHJ-M.jpg

These are inspired by the Stetson hat of said name.

i-pscNrGw-M.jpg

i-R9j4c4S-M.jpg

i-6BJcwVR-M.jpg

i-KzwvLVg-M.jpg

i-Q3Vtj97-M.jpg

Good questions. The answers about models of hats are they varied. I have some comparisons links referenced below. I will answer below in generic.

Stratoliner is the shorthand for the venerable Stetson fedora. This thin ribbon hat is easily idenitifed. Check this thread - https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-stratoliner-society-vintage.8329/ . Here is a sample of the hats. - https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-stratoliner-society-vintage.8329/post-1482957What i call the Gannon Wanderer is a hat inspired by the Stetson hat of said name. A straight (er) sided hat with moderate brim (2.5"), a snap brim trimmed with a medium ribbon and bound brim.

IMG2364-L.jpg

Here is a pic comparision with a Strat and an OR - https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/side-by-side-hat-comparisons.65983/post-2659373 .

The OR and Stratoliner are cousins. Not the same, but same family of hats. OR's have a straighter crown blocking.

Of course not Open Roads are the same - https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/side-by-side-hat-comparisons.65983/post-2795403

@Short Balding Guy I’m also very interested in the looks and profile of your Gannon Playboys. I can see the Playboy has a moderate ribbon and no binding on the brim. Are the profile dimensions the same or similar to a Strat clone? I’d say a Playboy is possibly in the mix now.

Playboy, https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/side-by-side-hat-comparisons.65983/post-1993050

Playboy and Stratoliner comparison, https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/side-by-side-hat-comparisons.65983/post-2531256

I hope the above links assist.

Cheers, Eric -

Last edited:

i-MJBPpHJ-M.jpg

i-pscNrGw-M.jpg

i-R9j4c4S-M.jpg

i-6BJcwVR-M.jpg

i-KzwvLVg-M.jpg

i-Q3Vtj97-M.jpg

Good questions. The answers about models of hats are they varied. I have some comparisons links referenced below. I will answer below in generic.

Stratoliner is the shorthand for the venerable Stetson fedora. This thin ribbon hat is easily idenitifed. Check this thread - https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-stratoliner-society-vintage.8329/ . Here is a sample of the hats. - https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-stratoliner-society-vintage.8329/post-1482957What i call the Gannon Wanderer is a hat inspired by the Stetson hat of said name. A straight (er) sided hat with moderate brim (2.5"), a snap brim trimmed with a medium ribbon and bound brim.

IMG2364-L.jpg

Here is a pic comparision with a Strat and an OR - https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/side-by-side-hat-comparisons.65983/post-2659373 .

The OR and Stratoliner are cousins. Not the same, but same family of hats. OR's have a straighter crown blocking.

Of course not Open Roads are the same - https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/side-by-side-hat-comparisons.65983/post-2795403

Playboy, https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/side-by-side-hat-comparisons.65983/post-1993050

Playboy and Stratoliner comparison, https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/side-by-side-hat-comparisons.65983/post-2531256

Cheers, Eric -

I thought a Wanderer was a bound brim Playboy.

StoryPNW

Practically Family

i-MJBPpHJ-M.jpg

i-pscNrGw-M.jpg

i-R9j4c4S-M.jpg

i-6BJcwVR-M.jpg

i-KzwvLVg-M.jpg

i-Q3Vtj97-M.jpg

IMG2364-L.jpg

Cheers, Eric -
Eric,

When I got my Gannon I was really torn between the Highwayman, which I got, and a Wanderer like yours. I really like that green Wanderer, when I get back in Mr. Gannon's queue that may be my next hat from him.

@hambone71 hats like the Stratoliner had their own block profiles. Gannon doesn’t offer many profiles, and maybe just one in your size, so you might not get the exact shape of one of the vintage hat models. If you like the squared boxy look of what I think of as the quintessential 1940s fedora then Gannon will probably have what you’re after. It’s the same with brim flanges. The Stratoliner, for instance, should have a fairly deep flange, but Gannon might only have one flange profile in your size and he tends to have shallower profiles. It ends up where we have hats inspired by the vintage models but rarely are they identical. Aside for perhaps brim width, there won’t be much of any difference between a Gannon Stratoliner and Gannon Open Road.

I also harp on the importance of proportions. A 2 ½” brim looks incredible in smaller sizes such as the hats shown by @Short Balding Guy. In my size a 2 ½” brim looks completely different and not nearly was classic in its styling.

Lastly, I’ll add that some of my favorite hats are when I provide a few measurements (crown and brim) and described the look I wanted and then trusted the hatter to make most all the decisions. Michael will make you a great hat. My next Gannon is awaiting ribbon and should be done in the next couple of weeks. Be warned: once you get one you’ll want another.

hambone71

Practically Family

i-MJBPpHJ-M.jpg

i-pscNrGw-M.jpg

i-R9j4c4S-M.jpg

i-6BJcwVR-M.jpg

i-KzwvLVg-M.jpg

i-Q3Vtj97-M.jpg

IMG2364-L.jpg

Cheers, Eric -
Thank you so much, Eric, for your input and the links. I looked them over and was tremendously enlightened, especially with the side by side comparisons. Michael hasn't even gotten to me yet for my first and I'm already planning a second.

hambone71

Practically Family
@hambone71 hats like the Stratoliner had their own block profiles. Gannon doesn’t offer many profiles, and maybe just one in your size, so you might not get the exact shape of one of the vintage hat models. If you like the squared boxy look of what I think of as the quintessential 1940s fedora then Gannon will probably have what you’re after. It’s the same with brim flanges. The Stratoliner, for instance, should have a fairly deep flange, but Gannon might only have one flange profile in your size and he tends to have shallower profiles. It ends up where we have hats inspired by the vintage models but rarely are they identical. Aside for perhaps brim width, there won’t be much of any difference between a Gannon Stratoliner and Gannon Open Road.

I also harp on the importance of proportions. A 2 ½” brim looks incredible in smaller sizes such as the hats shown by @Short Balding Guy. In my size a 2 ½” brim looks completely different and not nearly was classic in its styling.

Lastly, I’ll add that some of my favorite hats are when I provide a few measurements (crown and brim) and described the look I wanted and then trusted the hatter to make most all the decisions. Michael will make you a great hat. My next Gannon is awaiting ribbon and should be done in the next couple of weeks. Be warned: once you get one you’ll want another.
Valuable information right there! I'm 6', 185-190, 7 1\8 LO so I think the more moderate profiles suit me much better. You have some awesome hats, btw. I'm donning the campdraft in my profile pic. When I first got it months ago, I thought it was ginormous on me. But it seemed smaller with time as I "grew into it." I believe when my turn comes up with Michael, I will go with the strat\OR profile. I've been chasing those models in a vintage piece for quite sometime so, why not just have one made. Next up will be a Wanderer.
Thanks for your input. Much appreciated!

My latest Gannon is another using 100% nutria fur felt sourced from Sunrise. The color is cobalt blue, my second in this color. The hat was inspired by a beautiful Dobbs I was caretaker of for a couple weeks before it found a new home. The felt was shipped to me and I forwarded it Gannon. The felt is the 160g dress weight, but it’s stiffer and slightly smaller than the previous 160g hat bodies I’ve received. The finished hat has a very thin and supple crown that forms up as it gets closer to the brim break. The brim is thicker and firmer still. A great hat that has the soft moldable crown of a vintage hat but an ear wester firm brim.

We went with a wide 1 3/16” tone-on-tone binding and 2 ¼” wide periwinkle ribbon with a frayed bow. The open crown is 6 ¼” and the brim is three inches. The liner is bronze.

I’ve shown it in indirect and direct natural lighting. The blue isn’t nearly as bright as the indirect light makes it appear in some of the photos. Michael Gannon does not disappoint and I’m already thinking of my next hat from him.

FAFAC8F7-319D-44AF-A9C7-B77544F1310B.jpeg
AB989E76-DFBF-46FD-8EF3-459C22A685B2.jpeg
90F7F3BE-E0CD-4E1C-BBB0-EFA46BB64BBD.jpeg
EDC5754B-EC42-43E1-AB8A-E55AC49CD454.jpeg
4106B483-7D2A-43ED-8577-D621963D7F5D.jpeg
8C448A95-F1F3-41B4-B19A-1C30873EBA2C.jpeg
2D916D49-CF1E-4AD4-860E-A880913B0DE4.jpeg
C9EFD20F-53B4-4E9C-BCB0-43C91F081B55.jpeg
DB45AECD-3442-4107-8DC7-862139B5CFEC.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads