Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M422a Edmund Church WW2 USN Jacket

CBI

One Too Many
I picked up this original size 44 Edmund Church M-422a for $150. The photos of the listing were not great. When the jacket arrived, it looked like a professional house painter had worn it full time! Paint (mostly white of course) all over it. It took a bit of time but with mineral spirits, acetone, leather dye and acrylic paint, I have removed about 90% of it. I will revisit the remaining 10% some other time. The jacket had been expertly restored when I bought it (albeit with little knowledge of historical accuracy on the previous owner’s part). New collar (black G-1 style), new lining, new heavy non spec knits and a YKK zipper. I had the collar replaced locally with the correct color mouton from Flight Suits/Gibson and Barnes. I actually really like the knits, they feel better than the real deals and the zip works fine so I will enjoy it as is unless/until something needs replacing. This is a very well-worn jacket which is what I prefer. Its been getting a lot of use. Edmund Church is an excellent maker. I prefer the fit to my original Willis and Geiger.

Tkecks

Familiar Face
Really nice job cleaning it up! do you have any "before" photos?

I am much more into the originals than the repros. Great photos.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
A great job you have made fixing it up.
I too prefer originals and a really great condition old jacket can be bought for less than the price of a repro.

Stand By

One Too Many
Wow!!! All that salvage work really paid off, CBI ! VERY well done, old boy. Your dedication to the cause shows - and you've got a gorgeous jacket there - and the fit's perfect !!!
And where did you find it ?!

And as Tkecks said, any photos of it as it was (utterly ruined) would be great to see - for a Before-And-After view.

Well done again, CBI !!! That's really inspiring - I now feel that I'd like to look out for a good jacket out there to restore myself.... so it's just a case of keeping an eye on eBay ?

CBI

One Too Many
thanks all, I wish I had taken some before pics. Lots of white paint flecks everywhere and grayish/white paint spilled all over part of one sleeve. Thor, I will get you the measurements. I would say this 44 runs true to size to a bit larger.

thor

Call Me a Cab
thanks all, I wish I had taken some before pics. Lots of white paint flecks everywhere and grayish/white paint spilled all over part of one sleeve. Thor, I will get you the measurements. I would say this 44 runs true to size to a bit larger.

Thank you CBI! Much appreciated.

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Great looking jacket and you wear it well.

The Navy jackets don't seem to get as much love as those of the USAAF.

Seeing this M422a might change that a little!

John

CBI

One Too Many
the Ed Church M422a jacket (tagged size 44) measurements in inches: Pit to Pit: 25 , Shoulders (straight across): 19 Front Zipper: 23, Sleeves (including knits): 25, back (including knits): 24.

i did a quick check on my tagged 44 Willis and Geiger M422a and it has the same measurements give or take a 1/4-1/2 inch except its a inch smaller Pit to Pit (24)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen