Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Mad Men" on AMC (US) - (Spoilers Within)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Another interesting piece in the NY Times about the show - this time from the perspective of how its characters fascinate "our" modern POV with their dangerous pleasure-seeking behavior:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/01/fashion/01Cultural.html

I quoted "our" because it strikes me that the author's conception of modern motivations and lifestyles reflects a pretty narrow swath of society, even for the NYT. A lot of what she assumes does apply to many of us, but there's a lot more variety to our modern world than her own intensely focused, hyper-achieving NYC lifestyle.

But it's still a good read with some interesting observations.

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
cookie said:

A big difference is although ‘Mad Men’ has a slight whiff of modern PC condescension it still celebrates the mainstream culture of the time (which had some freedom to ‘go crazy’) and not mods like Holly.

Who else is noticing some of the women's fashions turning mid-’60s (it’s autumn 1964) and Harry Chain’s (the young man with the glasses in charge of TV commercials) hair starting to get Beatlishy long?

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FBK5QqCvyMs&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FBK5QqCvyMs&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Young fogey said:
A big difference is although ‘Mad Men’ has a slight whiff of modern PC condescension it still celebrates the mainstream culture of the time (which had some freedom to ‘go crazy’) and not mods like Holly.

Who else is noticing some of the women's fashions turning mid-’60s (it’s autumn 1964) and Harry Chain’s (the young man with the glasses in charge of TV commercials) hair starting to get Beatlishy long?
I'm noticing Harry's hair getting longer like the Beatles. But the woman's fashions are stuck in the 50s; they need to change that.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Another great episode. But Sally has a stalker!

And poor Alison...though she must know what Don is like. Guess we'll just blame it on the booze.

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
Tiller said:
I don't see Don adapting much to be honest, and I don't see him changin style that much. Don may change how he dresses a bit, but I don't see it going over board. If anything this show is about how people ultimatly don't change deep down, and Don isn't going to either. If the show goes far enough into the future, I can see Draper being an ideal for the 1980's yuppie generation, just before he dies.

I agree. He'll adapt a little; slightly older Roger won't. Roger will be Golden Age, hat and all, throughout the awful '70s until he dies (which considering his heart condition probably won't be long after 1980 if that).

Entertaining fanfic: Jack Donaghy and Sally Draper, 1990 (rated R).

In which we catch up with Don.

Tomasso said:
I guess they must shave him as well. Seriously, he appears in public with Sonny Crockett stubble with some regularity.

I noticed. Vincent Kartheiser (Pete) does that too. Must be their 'I am not Spock' stance (thanks for watching but don't confuse me with my character).

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
The most fascinating comment from last night's episode was after his "girl" was called to bring him his keys, as the guy is closing Don's office door he says, "He's pathetic." In previous seasons, no one would have seen Don as pathetic. Especially some young whipper snapper (ie Pete, obviously started out trying to emulate Don, even to the extent of affairs, etc.).

SUCH a great show!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Wire9Vintage said:
The most fascinating comment from last night's episode was after his "girl" was called to bring him his keys, as the guy is closing Don's office door he says, "He's pathetic." In previous seasons, no one would have seen Don as pathetic. Especially some young whipper snapper (ie Pete, obviously started out trying to emulate Don, even to the extent of affairs, etc.).

SUCH a great show!

Oh, I'd forgotten about that. Good point!

I also love Roger's line when Lane is moaning about the cost of the Christmas party...

"Listen, Olivier..."

swinggal

One Too Many
habberdasher said:
I'm noticing Harry's hair getting longer like the Beatles. But the woman's fashions are stuck in the 50s; they need to change that.

No they aren't, not at all. There's a very early to mid 60's feel to them. They are actually very accurate. I've seen pics of my mother and other ladies of that time dressed just like the women in the office. You also have to remember that not every one dressed in the latest styles either. Some women (like Peggy) chose to be a little more conservative and some 50s styles lingered into the early 60s, like the petticoated skirt.

Also the fashion, in say London at the same time, was a lot more 'out there' than in the US.

habberdasher

A-List Customer
swinggal said:
No they aren't, not at all. There's a very early to mid 60's feel to them. They are actually very accurate. I've seen pics of my mother and other ladies of that time dressed just like the women in the office. You also have to remember that not every one dressed in the latest styles either. Some women (like Peggy) chose to be a little more conservative and some 50s styles lingered into the early 60s, like the petticoated skirt.

Also the fashion, in say London at the same time, was a lot more 'out there' than in the US.
I was thinking Europe sorry

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
Young Fogey:

I agree. He'll adapt a little; slightly older Roger won't. Roger will be Golden Age, hat and all, throughout the awful '70s until he dies (which considering his heart condition probably won't be long after 1980 if that).

See, I thought just the opposite: Roger is in the white plastic, op art very forward looking office and his young wife is wearing the white shift dress with Cleopatra collar detail: both avant garde in 1964. Perhaps it is only through the women in his life, but Roger seems to me very up to date.

Dan seems to be going backward in time and status: Dan's office surfaces are wood, and not "Blonde" wood that would be "in" at the time, but a darker tone. Also the coffee table in Don's office seems to be an older 50's design.
Don's relationships too, reflect age: The young nurse from down the hall putting him to bed and commenting "My Father was a drunk" and the young lady from the last episode making an exception for him as a divorcee.

My .02

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
Miss Crisplock said:
Young Fogey:

See, I thought just the opposite: Roger is in the white plastic, op-art, very forward-looking office and his young wife is wearing the white shift dress with Cleopatra collar detail: both avant-garde in 1964. Perhaps it is only through the women in his life, but Roger seems to me very up to date.

My .02

I noticed that too.

swinggal

One Too Many
I think Don doesn't care about much right now, including how he looks or his office. He's too focussed on the loss of Betty and how alone he feels. At least in the past he actually tried to 'seduce' the women he cheated with. Now he's just becoming a lecherous drunk.

I think Roger is more in tune with the times, not just because he has a young wife, but also because it's part of who you have to be when you need to keep up with current trends in the advertising world. He is, afterall, a manger of an ad agency.

Young fogey

One of the Regulars
swinggal said:
I think Don doesn't care about much right now, including how he looks or his office. He's too focused on the loss of Betty and how alone he feels. At least in the past he actually tried to 'seduce' the women he cheated with. Now he's just becoming a lecherous drunk.

I think Roger is more in tune with the times, not just because he has a young wife, but also because it's part of who you have to be when you need to keep up with current trends in the advertising world. He is, after all, a manager of an ad agency.

True but I don't think he misses Betts. He misses his kids.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Young fogey said:
True but I don't think he misses Betts. He misses his kids.

Yeah, I'd agree with this. I don't think he misses Betty at all. I think he might miss having a wife and the stability and status it brings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot