Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Made in the USA

I saw this on MSN, so I thought I would share with everyone.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.co...erActionGuide/how-to-buy-american.aspx?page=2

They had a small section on clothing (page 2).

Suits:
Chicago menswear Hart Schaffner Marx (apparently the new president's favorite suit maker). http://www.hartschaffnermarx.com/mensstore/

Men's Dress Shirts:
Gitman brothers, http://www.gitmanco.com/
Cole Haan,
Thom Browne
http://www.whitedressshirts.com/

Men's Shoes:
Corcoran and Matterhorn Footwear, http://www.corcoranandmatterhorn.com/Category.asp?CategoryID=31
Redwing Shoes, http://www.redwingshoes.com/ (according to other FLers, their overseas models are more sophisticated.)

Socks:
http://www.foxsox.com/defaultEcomm.aspx

Western Coats:
http://www.schaeferoutfitter.com/outerwear.html

Other websites promoting made in America products:
StillmadeinUSA.com... other links on page 2 of MSN link.

Please suggest any retailers who offer quality goods made in the USA. Also, please comment on the quality of the above products. Americans, we are all in this together.

I'll add: Men's dress pants:
http://www.bonobos.com/ -- made in NY, I don't own a pair but they are supposed to be very comfortable.

have a nice day.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Excellent links, thank you for these resources.

Does anyone believe this sort of "isolationism" (as a few have called it) hurts the world economy and, therefore, should be frowned upon?

I don't particularly believe this, but there have been murmurs in the international community...

DerMann

Practically Family
Undertow said:
Excellent links, thank you for these resources.

Does anyone believe this sort of "isolationism" (as a few have called it) hurts the world economy and, therefore, should be frowned upon?

I don't particularly believe this, but there have been murmurs in the international community...
Quite the opposite. It's largely true that the over-globalisation of the US economy has hurt not only our economy, but the economies of other countries that depend on ours (e.g. Mexico).

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
http://www.madeinusaforever.com/

There's NOTHING wrong with supporting American companies, employing Americans, working in America - especially if you are an American.

It's ludicrous to suggest that we in America are "damaging" the world economy by promoting American made products. We are supporting our fellow countrymen.

Would a Frenchman suggest to another Frenchman that he should buy his wine from Napa Valley, CA because it supports the world economy?

I don't think so.

There is nothing wrong with ANYONE from ANY country supporting their OWN COUNTRY'S businesses and companies.

(I am now going to paint with a broad brush) Anyone who sees anything wrong with Americans buying American is being foolish and shortsighted.

But that's my answer.

dv

Undertow

DavidVillaJr said:
Would a Frenchman suggest to another Frenchman that he should buy his wine from Napa Valley, CA because it supports the world economy?

I don't think so.

I like the point you make here.

Here's a taste of what I was referring to, coming from the SanFran Chronicle:
Buy American

I couldn't find the BBC or Guardian articles I had in mind that directly stated "protectionist" and "isolationist" policies like Buy American were a bad idea.

Here are some tidbits from the above article:
"The genesis of the provision is a Great Depression-era law, the 1933 Buy American Act, which required the government to give preference to U.S.-made products in all its purchases. The law gave a boost to U.S. manufacturers, but critics say it lengthened the depression by drying up global trade."

"But major U.S. manufacturers, including GE and Caterpillar, are lobbying against the measure, warning that foreign nations will raise trade barriers, hurting U.S. exports."

"Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper has said the Buy American measure could violate World Trade Organizations rules. The stakes for Canada are high: The country sells 40 percent of its steel to the United States."

Interesting points to consider. Of course, the above article mainly refers to major industries and the stimulus bill, but could these ideas be applied even to us at the lounge?

Edward

Bartender
I'm always intrigued by this issue, as it seems to me that the patriotic element to 'Buy American' seems to be fairly unique to the US. In this day and age, I don't see a 'Buy British' campaign, for instance, getting much support. That said, it probably has a lot to do not only with patriotism but also the Us having a manufacturing industry of a significant scale, which has not been the case in the UK for at least a generation. My only personal objection, really, is against the sort of blinkered thinking I've run into a lot in the guitar community, many folks presuming that mere geographical point of origin equates to a superior product. As to supporting a local workforce and economy, I can see the thining behind that - the only debate really there is whether and how far this ccan be effective in the context of a global marketplace.... and how far it is possible to take it. Information is also ey: both in the US and in England, as I understand it, it is legal to sell a product as "Made in..." when in reality it has had only minimal finishing done there.

Undertow

Edward said:
Information is also ey: both in the US and in England, as I understand it, it is legal to sell a product as "Made in..." when in reality it has had only minimal finishing done there.

I chuckle at this, too. I hate to laugh at the sincere attempts of others, but when "buying American", one is also subject to the age old concept "caveat emptor" due to American marketing guile.

I would argue, Edward, that this concept is quite typical across the world, but relegated to more specific markets. For instance, could you imagine the majority of Russians buying vodka produced in Midwest America? Or the French buying brandy and sparkling wine from Italy? Or Germans replacing their bier with something made in Mexico?

These are, of course, all food products that would generally be preferred in their regions but I believe the same concept is at work. It's not quite patriotism as pride in one's products. That's not to say a certain element of nationalism isn't at work.

As an aside, I'm not sure American's currently produce any particular product that we can stand by besides bourbon and guns (as we are pretty much leaders in those industries). This is just an off the cuff remark not intended to stir anyone up. Does the US make something comparable to Cognac, Scotch, Italian Loafers, German engineering, etc?

Foofoogal

Banned
I am patriotic and it was ingrained in me. I try to buy American and also locally to support local tax base. Until recent events of tainted milk from China and mad cow disease I had not thought much about it. Now peanut butter from America is an issue. Appalled is an understatement.
Safety of basic food sources and products should be foremost wherever a product comes from.
I read an article that was surprising yesterday that America still leads in manufacturing about 3 times more than China but in larger items like turbines and machines and such.
My sister got sort of not happy with me yesterday as I refused to buy in a store that had purses and trinkets from top to bottom of not Made in America products.
Give me a quality product and I might change my mind.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Undertow said:
Interesting points to consider. Of course, the above article mainly refers to major industries and the stimulus bill, but could these ideas be applied even to us at the lounge?

I don't think our little group of 11,000 would make much difference in the U.S. economy. :)

Most people will look for the most bang for their buck. Now, especially, most aren't going to pay double for something just because it's made in the U.S. But they should be able to if they like.

Tariffs in general are just a cash cow for a government, IMHO.

bigshoe

One of the Regulars
Buy American as an individual act has no effect on world trade. As a requirement in the largest spending bill since the great pyramids it can have considerable effect as was the case with the Smoot- Hawley act (forgive the spelling). As an American maker of shoes I have no desire to replace Chinese makers in Wal-Mart. I wish to continue slow and steady til I keel over at my bench after that I don't care.:rolleyes:
Tom

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I'll pay a premium to support certain old world artisans, wherever they reside, in an effort to ensure the survival of their craft. For factory made goods, price dictates.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Many things are labeled as Made in America that are not. There are all kinds of tricks marketers and manufacturers play.

Edward

Bartender
Undertow said:
I would argue, Edward, that this concept is quite typical across the world, but relegated to more specific markets. For instance, could you imagine the majority of Russians buying vodka produced in Midwest America? Or the French buying brandy and sparkling wine from Italy? Or Germans replacing their bier with something made in Mexico?

These are, of course, all food products that would generally be preferred in their regions but I believe the same concept is at work. It's not quite patriotism as pride in one's products. That's not to say a certain element of nationalism isn't at work.

As an aside, I'm not sure American's currently produce any particular product that we can stand by besides bourbon and guns (as we are pretty much leaders in those industries). This is just an off the cuff remark not intended to stir anyone up. Does the US make something comparable to Cognac, Scotch, Italian Loafers, German engineering, etc?

Aye, bourbon - not real whiskey. ;) :p I hadn't really thought of food products - you're probably right there. Other than that, though, I don't see much evidence of it in the UK, but as said that might be different, I suppose, if there was anything much of a manufacturing industry here anymore.

Lafayette

New in Town
Bonobos is now manufacturing overseas

Son_of_Atropos said:
I'll add: Men's dress pants:
http://www.bonobos.com/ -- made in NY, I don't own a pair but they are supposed to be very comfortable.

Bonobos used to manufacture everything in the USA. Unfortunately on their website's blog, they have stated that in the near future (possibly already) they're using factories in India and China. I don't know if they'll continue to have certain pants made in the US or if everything is going to be made overseas.

I own a handful of Bonobos pants (USA made) and love them. Quality. Sad that they are having their manufacturing moved overseas.

Their customer service reps always respond promptly to e-mail inquiries, so if you wanted to only purchase USA made Bonobos pants, you could ask if a certain model is US made.

lewisskimonster

Familiar Face
I for one try to buy "Made in America" every chance I can. Sometimes US made products can be very expensive, but if you are a prudent shopper, then you can buy on sale where things even out. I believe in supporting the American workforce, and would like to bring more manufacturing back to the ole USA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR