Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Maden Amekaji chinese waxed canvas?

blatman23

New in Town
Hi there!
So yes, we all know about the US brands of waxed canvas button shirts but have anyone tried the chinese 45$ Maden Amekaji waxed canvas shirts sold on ebay/ali express?
Surely it won't be as well detailed, but is it passable for the price? The pictures sure look nice.
Wondering if anyone ever ordered one of those for kicks.

Attachments

• 2024-02-09 23_07_47-Maden Amekaji Retro Male Oil Waxed Jacket Canvas Cotton Khaki Military Uni...png
    2024-02-09 23_07_47-Maden Amekaji Retro Male Oil Waxed Jacket Canvas Cotton Khaki Military Uni...png
    1.2 MB · Views: 51

Giben

New in Town
I considered buying one of these, however i read in the reviews that the smell is a bit strong. The biggest worry I had was what chemicals are in it that could be hazardous for it to smell so bad.

blatman23

New in Town
I considered buying one of these, however i read in the reviews that the smell is a bit strong. The biggest worry I had was what chemicals are in it that could be hazardous for it to smell so bad.

I have a few bags/backpacks made of chinese waxed canvas and they look great besides being stiffer than their western counterparts (but that can be cool as long as you wear a lightweight T shirt)...
I might go ahead and bite on one of those shirts, see how they work. Surely they can't screw up canvas that bad.

This is literally a mail bag with wax.

DamonCyclee

Familiar Face
it's not bad, but unlined so it's very sticky in the summer, the material is very cardboardy, I would recommend red tornado's lined wax canvas, RGT copy, it's probably build better than the original RGT and softer drapes better than the one you've linked.

Then there are the next tier up, like Gizemo brand

I had denim shop employees comment on my "RGT" patina :D

blatman23

New in Town
it's not bad, but unlined so it's very sticky in the summer, the material is very cardboardy, I would recommend red tornado's lined wax canvas, RGT copy, it's probably build better than the original RGT and softer drapes better than the one you've linked.

Then there are the next tier up, like Gizemo brand

I had denim shop employees comment on my "RGT" patina :D
Nice!
I checked out the Tornados, they indeed look better and still modest at around 120$.
HOWEVER the sizing is so non-standard. 28" sleeves in my desired size XL (I need 25.5" at XL)

Super strange!

DamonCyclee

Familiar Face
Nice!
I checked out the Tornados, they indeed look better and still modest at around 120$.
HOWEVER the sizing is so non-standard. 28" sleeves in my desired size XL (I need 25.5" at XL)

Super strange!
Official taobao pages says 67cms for XL with 117Cm chest. They made the lined version bigger to accommodate the lining.

Fonzie

One Too Many
Chinese Amekaji made stuff can be real bang for your buck if you buy from the right seller, like Bronson for example, which is very good.
Gustin in the US makes these canvas jackets at a fair price and they’re very good quality for the price.
I have a green unlined canvas from them that I love, but I wish I had bought a size larger.
Incidentally it will be in the classifieds soon if anyone is interested.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Chinese Amekaji made stuff can be real bang for your buck if you buy from the right seller, like Bronson for example, which is very good.
Gustin in the US makes these canvas jackets at a fair price and they’re very good quality for the price.
I have a green unlined canvas from them that I love, but I wish I had bought a size larger.
Incidentally it will be in the classifieds soon if anyone is interested.
I bought a size larger green Gustin unlined waxed jacket and put an M-65 button-in liner into it for winter. Works great.

Every time someone utters a word "amekaji", a whale dies. Save the whales. Stop saying "Amekaji".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner