Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making my own hats

Fortino37

Familiar Face
As I said in previous threads, I start using hats 21 years a go, when I was 19, and like to do my own reparis; ribbon, bow, sweatband and liner replacement, felt cleaning, hat blocking, etc. I learn a lot of millinery secrets from my hatter, a 82 years old man who died last January, he begun in hat business in the early 40's so he knew a lot about the hat history.
I feel a real passion about the hat use, hat history and hat making, and start restoring old bowlers obtaining great ressults, my last chalenge was to make my own hats, I decide to test myself and bough several fur felt bodies to make one in beige and other in deep blue. In my plans are to start my own business, repairing and making hats.

Please leave your opinion.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Congratulations and good luck on your new venture. There's always room for another hatter.

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Fortino37, I can only guess how it feels to have made your own hat. And, judging from the pictures, they look good. From the photo of the inside (with liner and sweatband of the blue hat), it looks very carefully and well made.

There are few hatmakers left in the smartphone world...go get it!

Pablo

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Those are very nice. One positive thing about what you can do, you can fill your own closet full of hats that you have made for yourself, while the majority of us have to hunt for what we want! I wish you all the best in any business ventures you go into with making these hats!

Fortino37

Familiar Face
Nic, Nice work! Could you give some particulars for each hat ?

Some details about the hats

Deep blue fedora

- Fur felt body made in Czech republic 1/8in tick
- Tear drop crown style
- Crown, 4 1/5in front and 3 5/8in rear
- Black ribbon 1 1/5in wide (50%cotton/50%rayon)
- Brim 2 7/8in wide
- 1 5/8 wide leather sweatban
- Beige acetate liner

Clear beige fedora

- Fur felt body made in Czech republic 1/8in tick
- Center crease crown style
- Crown, 4 1/5in fron, 4 1/8 rear and 5in in the highest point
- Brown ribbon 11/5in wide
- 2in wide leather sweatband
- White acetae liner

Thank you for all your comments

Fortino B.