Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Man Cave/Vintage Lounge - Thoughts, anyone? (Heavy with photos)

bil_maxx

One of the Regulars
I like the look of this place as well.
(Mermaid Inn, Rye, UK)

reading-room.jpg

V.C. your pics are just incredible. They are dream man caves.

Atterton

New in Town
Roving Bohemian: I see your avatar picture is an old map. I like old maps and have several on my walls. When I have the money, I would also like to buy a globe bar. Perhaps that would also be an idea for your man cave.

Atterton

New in Town
I know the term used here is cave. Even so, you might consider how much natural light you get into the room. A lot of dark wood, leather and muted colours might make the room very dark.

Connery

One Too Many
That probably depends on wether it is a man cave or a jack the lad cave.

Yes that is the thing that would need to be determined. A Man Cave means different things to different people. To some is is a quiet place where one would read, think and experience some quiet and serenity from the world. I had recently been to one that looked something like this...
mancave.jpg

This is a brief, but, interesting read on the idea of a man cave: “Man caves”– tricked-out spaces in garages and dens, often featuring beer fridges, mega-TVs, recliners, sports memorabilia and arcade games– are battling intruders: women and kids."

http://blogs.wsj.com/juggle/2010/11/09/a-man-cave-of-ones-own/

Last edited:

B Dale Mauger

New in Town
To "hide the TV" build it into the wall or cabinetry with a "screen" to either pull down or slide to cover it.
Build the "screen" like a paneled door to match the cabinets or bookcases.

Connery

One Too Many
I was doing some more reading of the ideas of Man Caves and came across this Life magazine article entitled, "Men at Vassar". The article discussed the entrance of male veterans in 1946 as these men could not get into the traditionally male college because of over crowding of students.

What I found worthy of note is the Man Cave set up by Vassar College in order to give men a place to "get away from the ever present girls".

vass1.jpg

http://books.google.com/books?id=Bl...MAGAZINES&rview=1&pg=PA89#v=onepage&q&f=false

mummyjohn

Familiar Face
A couple of replies ago, someone mentioned the idea of large maps and a globe bar. Globe bars would be GREAT for a space like this. I've got to go ahead and recommend the map idea, too - it lends the ide of worldliness, like an old explorer's club in Great Britain. If you don't own anything, go ahead and make one - it wouldn't be too difficult to tint a large piece of paper and illustrate any map you'd like. Pick something relevant to you: for example, a friend of my father's from way back has a map of St. Bart's hanging in his study, since he and his wife have been taking an annual trip back ever since their honeymoon.

Any space that involves relaxing for me must also involve hi-fidelity sound. If you're going for more of the Don Draper aesthetic, there are lots of great radio/hi-fi cabinets from the fifties and sixties. I have a '61 Magnavox in my dorm, and it sounds grand. Alternatively, if you're going for more of the Victorian look, the early Capeharts are probably the way to go. For modern quality but absolutely timeless, classy looks, you can never go wrong with a McIntosh system.

All in all, what I'd have to say is that any room designed by a man for his purposes should appear as though it emanates from him. Others should appear as welcome, comfortable guests in the space, but the owner should appear as natural, automatic, essential to the space he inhabits.

O2BSwank

One of the Regulars
I'd have to agree that there are different definitions of the term "Man Cave". I think that most here would think of it as a personal library or study. Not a TV pit with a fridge to eat nachos while watching the game. It would be a place that you could display some of your collections; books, guns,whatever. A spot where you can escape the endless drone of the tv, kids playing video games and a quiet spot where you can read or listen to your type of music. I used to spend time in my garage working on my project cars. There used to be an old guy in my neighborhood that I would see on my morning walk seated at his garage workbench in his pajamas drinking coffee and watching a little tv. I guess that was his refuge.

Roving_Bohemian

One of the Regulars
A couple of replies ago, someone mentioned the idea of large maps and a globe bar. Globe bars would be GREAT for a space like this. I've got to go ahead and recommend the map idea, too - it lends the idea of worldliness, like an old explorer's club in Great Britain....

Any space that involves relaxing for me must also involve hi-fidelity sound. If you're going for more of the Don Draper aesthetic, there are lots of great radio/hi-fi cabinets from the fifties and sixties. I have a '61 Magnavox in my dorm, and it sounds grand. Alternatively, if you're going for more of the Victorian look, the early Capeharts are probably the way to go. For modern quality but absolutely timeless, classy looks, you can never go wrong with a McIntosh system.

All in all, what I'd have to say is that any room designed by a man for his purposes should appear as though it emanates from him. Others should appear as welcome, comfortable guests in the space, but the owner should appear as natural, automatic, essential to the space he inhabits.
I'd have to agree that there are different definitions of the term "Man Cave". I think that most here would think of it as a personal library or study. Not a TV pit with a fridge to eat nachos while watching the game. It would be a place that you could display some of your collections; books, guns,whatever. A spot where you can escape the endless drone of the tv, kids playing video games and a quiet spot where you can read or listen to your type of music. I used to spend time in my garage working on my project cars. There used to be an old guy in my neighborhood that I would see on my morning walk seated at his garage workbench in his pajamas drinking coffee and watching a little tv. I guess that was his refuge.
That rough-hewn look is my ideal decorating style. No one in my house would go for it, though...

See. I like dark woods, have an ever expanding weapons collection, I love jazz/blues/bluegrass, and sometimes like to just go take a "power nap" after I get home from work...

My wife is very understanding of these things, but that doesn't mean she agrees... :p

She wants our house furnished with light wood, bright paints, she doesn't want guns around the kids (understandably so) and she hates jazz (it's ok to have different interests, as long as you don't try to force them on each other)

We both love travel so maps will furnish the entire house, but I also like vintage travel (i.e. Steamships, trains, Elephants, Dirigibles, Horses, Camels, etc) Archaeological artifacts, and cultural nick-knacks from around the world that she considers "clutter", so we agreed that this "man-cave" is my place to do as I wish, while she (since she plans to be a stay-at-home-mom anyway and therefore the one who has to be around the chosen decor all day) can design/decorate the rest of the house, since I like what she likes, she just doesn't like some of my things so much... :p

Though I'll never likely achieve anything this big,
article-0-026641FA000005DC-286_468x286.jpg
I do hope to have a sizable collection, and she said "only if it's locked in your office!"

I also plan to put in a (vinyl)record/CD/mp3 player like this
RCTR7.jpg

with a wood covered surround sound system...

m0nk

One Too Many
We're actually discussing our basement and will likely turn it into a man cave gameroom since the people we just bought a house from left a pool table there. First purchase is a card table, then I'll be redoing the walls with a half wood-panel and setting up a bar. Can't wait!

mummyjohn

Familiar Face
Those reproduction radiolas are absolutely the most awesome things ever.

Not to rain on the parade, but they aren't. My mother bought one nearly identical (same company, I'm sure) as the one in the photo. It may play tapes, records, CD's, and tune in the radio, but it doesn't do any of them particularly well. The turntable, though, is by far the biggest concern. The platter probably isn't even flat, you can't attach your own stylus/cartridge (which I'm sure Crosley is revered for ;)), and the tonearm pressure is not adjustable. Long story short, watching this thing operate it's like seeing your records get crushed. As nice as it looks - and it does look nice - I can in no good faith recommend one of these players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass