Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Man Cave/Vintage Lounge - Thoughts, anyone? (Heavy with photos)

Edward

Bartender
On the issue of furniture.... Can anyone recommend a good book on vintage interiors? I'd like to add some older pieces, or at least stick to aping an older style (pre-1960; my block went up in 1951, first of the postwar builds in my part of the East End which followed the extensive remodelling of that part of London by the Luftwaffe in the early 40s). A visual resource would be very helpful.

I also prefer "study". My second choice would be "den", as that's the term I grew up with, but really;

den[den]  noun
2. a room, often secluded, in a house or apartment, designed to provide a quiet, comfortable, and informal atmosphere for conversation, reading, writing, etc.
It's not that much better than "cave" if you think about it..............

Sounds fine to me. :D

I could live with study but that is not what I do there. :p

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I think that the whole TITLE of the room (Man Cave) is dependent on whom you wish to exclude from the premises. Study implies a quite place to read, not watch football. Den implies family room (somewhat), the man's room shouldn't smell like diapers... Man cave sounds old, nasty, and tribal, the wife will not want one in the her home. I suggest home office, no one wants to interrupt business, sometimes you have to ply clients with booze and cigars, sometimes the neighbors need come in and consult.

I lived in Decatur AL from 1990 until 1994, and "taking out the garbage" twice a week occasionally took 3-4 hours because we all had beer and or tobacco in our garages. I made my own homebrewed beer, George had SALE beer and Marlboro lights, Frankie had red and white (Budweiser and Marlboros), and the guy on the corner (forgot his name) had Jameson's and cheap cigars.

Later

Hi

I think that the whole TITLE of the room (Man Cave) is dependent on whom you wish to exclude from the premises. Study implies a quite place to read, not watch football. Den implies family room (somewhat), the man's room shouldn't smell like diapers... Man cave sounds old, nasty, and tribal, the wife will not want one in the her home. I suggest home office, no one wants to interrupt business, sometimes you have to ply clients with booze and cigars, sometimes the neighbors need come in and consult.

I lived in Decatur AL from 1990 until 1994, and "taking out the garbage" twice a week occasionally took 3-4 hours because we all had beer and or tobacco in our garages. I made my own homebrewed beer, George had SALE beer and Marlboro lights, Frankie had red and white (Budweiser and Marlboros), and the guy on the corner (forgot his name) had Jameson's and cheap cigars.

Later

Geez, I need you in my neighborhood. :p
I guess Den fits what I use it for then. My sons and I watch movies out there, there is a bar, fireplace TV, jukebox etc. It is kind of multipurpose in the long run and my wife is welcome as long as she doesn't complain about cigar smoke etc. :p It is a separate building fromt eh house that we call the Summer House though. :p

A re-creation of Walt Disney's Burbank offices that had been on display at Disneyland for many years.

Walt's working office
100_1927.JPG

Disney-Office.jpg

office1s.jpg

Walt's formal office where he met important visitors
office2s.jpg

DD-Walts-office.jpg

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Hi

Later

Agreed, "den" conjures up wooden cabinet crt tv's, board games in the closet, maybe a hide-a-bed for the occasional guests, add your thoughts here.

On the other hand, "study" brings to my mind a large desk, floor to ceiling shelves filled with books, wood floors with large area rugs, overstuffed club chairs, newspaper and magazine racks, and no television.

Lt.Tom

Familiar Face
Agreed, "den" conjures up wooden cabinet crt tv's, board games in the closet, maybe a hide-a-bed for the occasional guests, add your thoughts here.

On the other hand, "study" brings to my mind a large desk, floor to ceiling shelves filled with books, wood floors with large area rugs, overstuffed club chairs, newspaper and magazine racks, and no television.

Well said. That is exactly the feeling I have been trying to put into words. In my mind a den is a family room, where as a study is a personal room.

I too will take the study please. I think my only problem with the term cave is not the word itself, so much as the fact that in people's minds today a "man cave" is dominated by the largest possible TV set, and everything in the room is geared towards making "watching the game" as comfortable as possible.

I definitely don't have a study then. No desk, no huge book shelves, no club chairs. I do have a TV and a couch that can be made into a bed though so I can live with a den. :p
I hate team sports though so watching the game is out of the question. :p

Roving_Bohemian

One of the Regulars
What I plan on is something more along the lines of the "study" you describe, but not quite the same... a type of lounge-space I can relax, (no TV) Some books, but nothing business related. I don't want to spend my day at work then go home and work.
This is a place I can be by myself for an hour or so then spend quality time with my family somewhere else.
Somewhere I can play my music, put my feet ON my desk, take a nap, look at maps, write novels, draw, or post on The Fedora Lounge... ;)

What I plan on is something more along the lines of the "study" you describe, but not quite the same... a type of lounge-space I can relax, (no TV) Some books, but nothing business related. I don't want to spend my day at work then go home and work.
This is a place I can be by myself for an hour or so then spend quality time with my family somewhere else.
Somewhere I can play my music, put my feet ON my desk, take a nap, look at maps, write novels, draw, or post on The Fedora Lounge... ;)

Now you are talking. :eusa_clap Add a little Scotch to that and a fine cigar and you have just about what I use mine for. :p I watch old movies out there though. [huh]

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
This thread is giving me some great ideas for our office when we finally get to purchase a house this year. My wife is letting me have free reign in putting this room together. I'm looking forward to it. I especially like the area rugs over hard wood and the desk with the leather insert. Time to go and do some research. Thanks for the inspiration gang!

Cheers!

Dan

Connery

One Too Many
I would like my lounge to have this Espresso Maker:

Martiancoffe1.jpg

Manufactured in Italy in 1955 with parts from Giordano Robbiati’s famous Atomic coffee makers. The “Martian Electric Espresso” machine was a commercial failure. According to espresso aficionados, only three of these machines are known to collectors worldwide.

4133_the-martian-b_amp_w-_sorrentin.gif

4133_picture_22.png

dnjan

One Too Many
Love the pub, but the beer confused me. Looked like he filled the glass from the pump, but it sure didn't look like cask beer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner