Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Man Cave/Vintage Lounge - Thoughts, anyone? (Heavy with photos)

O2BSwank

One of the Regulars
I have one of those repop record players a "Classic CR" in a darker tone wood with a real vintage looking radio dial. I like the way it looks. The cassette and cd players are on opposite sides. It plays my old 33s pretty well and sounds okay to me. The turntable assembly is very cheap, with no auto arm movements and there is not a lever to raise or lower the tone arm without touching it. I bought a pair of new "needles" on line, so they are available. I primarily bought it to play my old radio program cassettes, and my buck a piece, thrift store high fidelity mono albums. My 1942 Silvertone upright radio console with record player is under going restoration and I'm updating the 78 player with a 60's Magnavox turntable. There are many of these units available and they can be repaired and many even have input jacks already in place, or they can be installed by a competent repair technician. You could get one set up for a few hundred dollars. When I get my Silvertone finished it will replace the repop.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Here's my "man cave", basically my whole apartment.

IMAG0655.jpg

The book case I designed myself, with a little help from Gothic Cabinetry
IMAG0659.jpg

The art work on the wall includes a Belgian tapestry from the 1939 NY World's Fair, an ink drawing of my late wife by her teacher, Knox Martin, an ink and watercolor drawing that I picked up for $15 at a thrift shop in Brooklyn Heights, and a map of my neighborhood in the Bronx from about 1875.
IMAG0658.jpg

The dining room, with my 30's vintage English sideboard and the gorgeous mirror from the 40's with Diana the Huntress.
She's hawwttt. ;) In the distance out the window you can see the whole Manhattan skyline, including the Empire State Building, the Chrysler Building and 30 Rock. Great view.
IMAG0654.jpg

And my kitchen, with the 30's feed sack cloth used for curtains.
IMAG0660.jpg

I left the Christmas lights up cause I just like the way they look. They're hooked to a dimmer, and they really look cool dimmed down to almost nothing.

Last edited:
I think I have to take umbridge with the term "man cave." In the days in which we are talking about they were called "Dens." I can take the term den better than Man cave. That just makes me think of some ridiculous idea that someone has of an area that is just a mess with stuff strewn all over. That is not what we are talking about here. We are talking den here. A miniature version of a gentleman's club where you can read, listen to music, smoke a cigar, enjoy a cocktail, watch movies or TV etc. I like dark wood, leather, a fireplace, bar maybe even some rough hewn beams and I have a jukebox but it is not necessary--depending on how old world you want it. :p It is a den.
My friends hate the term man cave as well. Better to start out with the correct terminology and make it an easier sell.
That said though, my whole house is my den----plus my den. :p I choose colors, fabrics etc. My wife and I have the same taste so it is fine either way with us because our styles are interchangeable. :p The trick is to marry correctly. :p

Last edited:

Connery

One Too Many
I think I have to take umbridge with the term "man cave." In the days in which we are talking about they were called "Dens." I can take the term den better than Man cave. That just makes me think of some ridiculous idea that someone has of an area that is just a mess with stuff strewn all over. That is not what we are talking about here. We are talking den here. A miniature version of a gentleman's club where you can read, listen to music, smoke a cigar, enjoy a cocktail, watch movies or TV etc. I like dark wood, leather, a fireplace, bar maybe even some rough hewn beams and I have a jukebox but it is not necessary--depending on how old world you want it. :p It is a den.
My friends hate the term man cave as well. Better to start out with the correct terminology and make it an easier sell.
That said though, my whole house is my den----plus my den. :p I choose colors, fabrics etc. My wife and I have the same taste so it is fine either way with us because our styles are interchangeable. :p The trick is to marry correctly. :p

Excellent post!!!!

This is what I have been trying to bring out in this thread. There are many considerations to take into account when deciding how much of the living space is going to be devoted to this venture and who will use it and for what purpose.:)

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
It would be nice to have the Mayfair, Belgravia club-scene again. I mean, it still exists, but in London only. I'm sure there are comparable American institutions, but sadly, as has been mentioned. In the U.S.o.A, the word 'Gentlemen's Club' means something so extremely different...

Haversack

One Too Many
At least here in San Francisco, there are still quite a few private men's, (and women's), clubs. Just off the top of my head are the Pacific Union Club, the Olympic Club, the Bohemian Club, and the University Club. These are all upper class clubs. Some have reciprocity with some of the London clubs. Very handy when one wants to spend a few days in St. James without paying the tariffs that Duke's or the Ritz charge. Even in minor towns like Eureka up the coast, you find places like the Ingomar Club.

And there are also still working class men's clubs. Some are now 'co-ed' but still have bars with the smell of tobacco, old leather, and wood varnish. The South End Rowing Club and the Dolphin Club are two of these. Some are ethnically based such as the Monte Cristo Club and the Verdi club. Whether upper class or working class, all these clubs have some entrance requirements. You have to be 'clubable' by whatever the club's standards are.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
We seem to have strayed to the issue of clubs. I believe there are a couple of interesting threads on the subject somewhere. Here in New York several Loungers have become members of the Montauk Club, in Brooklyn. Very cool, classy and historice place.
www.montaukclub.com

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up

I've always liked the term 'study.' That what my room is going to be called - my study.

WH1

Practically Family
At least here in San Francisco, there are still quite a few private men's, (and women's), clubs. Just off the top of my head are the Pacific Union Club, the Olympic Club, the Bohemian Club, and the University Club. These are all upper class clubs. Some have reciprocity with some of the London clubs. Very handy when one wants to spend a few days in St. James without paying the tariffs that Duke's or the Ritz charge. Even in minor towns like Eureka up the coast, you find places like the Ingomar Club.

http://www.marineclub.com/index.php?s_kwcid=TC|22018|+marines +memorial +club||S|b|16720446697

Another club in San Francisco is the Marine Memorial Hotel located on Union Square. It was established as a living memorial to the Marines who fought in WWII. It is open to all service members and offers excellent accommodations and facilities such as restaurant and bar on top floor, library, ball rooms, and even a 646 seat theater for an adjusted price for military. It also offers an extensive listing of reciprocal clubs throughout the United States and the world.

Lt.Tom

Familiar Face
I also prefer "study". My second choice would be "den", as that's the term I grew up with, but really;

den[den]  noun
1. the lair or shelter of a wild animal, especially a predatory mammal.
2. a room, often secluded, in a house or apartment, designed to provide a quiet, comfortable, and informal atmosphere for conversation, reading, writing, etc.
3. a cave used as a place of shelter or concealment.
4. a squalid or vile abode or place: dens of misery.
5. one of the units of a cub scout pack, analogous to a patrol in the Boy Scouts.

It's not that much better than "cave" if you think about it..............

Edward

Bartender
Allow me to suggest a drinks cabinet in the shape of an Egyptian mummy case...

Yes, that would be really nice. It would also work well with a vintage aesthetic, IMO, as a nod towards the early Twentieth century craze of Egyptology. I've seen them around, though they do tend to be pricey. I've found a place that will sell me a pine coffin for only GBP250, though, which makes it feasible. Just have to shelve it. I have also seen a set of bookshelves that become a coffin, all designed and ready to assemble, though it's an American style, big square coffin, not the traditional coffin shape I prefer. In other words it's not at all obvious what it is, where a big part of the appeal for me is that my drinks cabinet should look like a coffin. I'm figuring if I buy one and shelve it, when the time comes I can just be thrown in it....

Edward, find a framed picture you like and use this site as an example.

http://www.tvcoverups.com/

Nice! Looks ideal, but alas out of my budget..... I'm sure somethingl ike it could be worked up, though.

What about a folding screen? Or if it's on the wall and you have enough space, a large oil painting? You could build a frame around the TV and paint it the same colour as the wall to blend in somewhat, then attach hooks to the painting and frame to pop it into place when the TV's not on.

More or less what I'll end up doing. Used to be you could readily buy, inexpensive but good TV cabinets. Seems much more a niche market now with big flat tvs. I suppose folks want to show them off. [huh]

Here's a thought. Okay, it's a bit whacky and left of field, but here goes.

How about not having a television in the space at all? :eeek:

I am currently in a two bedroom flat with my daughter but am looking for somewhere with a third room that I can turn into a den/office/mancave. It will have my desk with computer, a space for reading (a comfy chair, side table and reading lamp) and maybe a record player (I am getting back into vinyl). My main goal is to escape the old "electric anaesthetic" (television) to a place where I can think and relax

This will depend on whether you have somewhere in another room to put the television, of course. Don't get me wrong, I have a TV. It's been a love affair spanning nearly 50 years and she's been a faithful friend, however she's a demanding mistress and I need my space. But that's another thread.

Roving Bohemian: I see your avatar picture is an old map. I like old maps and have several on my walls. When I have the money, I would also like to buy a globe bar. Perhaps that would also be an idea for your man cave.

I've thought about that, but I just don't have the right space for it anywhere else in the flat: my lounge is the only room that can actually accommodate a TV of any size, along with all the other bits. It's also my only real reception room, and part of the attraction of installing a home cinema set up is to have friends round for film nights (used to think it'd be great for a young lady, but at my age and physical condition, one has to lower one's sights).

I know the term used here is cave. Even so, you might consider how much natural light you get into the room. A lot of dark wood, leather and muted colours might make the room very dark.

Yes, this is what I'm trying to avoid too, or it'd be antique mahogany all the way!

To "hide the TV" build it into the wall or cabinetry with a "screen" to either pull down or slide to cover it.
Build the "screen" like a paneled door to match the cabinets or bookcases.

Yeah, I'll likely end up doing that. A door over the shelf the TV sits on would be ideal. The real source of my problem is that I need to maximise use of the wall space (so cover as much of the wall as possible in shelves), but I'm not prepared to sacrifice all aesthetic taste so to do! I have decided to build the shelving myself rather than try to make use of pre-designed stuff, so it's just going to take some creative design work.

Those reproduction radiolas are absolutely the most awesome things ever.

They look nice in photos, but they're not great. Most of them are a bit cheap and nasty when you see them for real (often the "metal" is coloured plastic), and the sound reproduction is poor (if that matters to you). When I have the room otherwise ready, I'm going to go hunting for a vintage type sideboard in which I can hide as much of my stereo equipment as possible. A fairly modern turntable will inevitably be on view, but I can live with that.

Sadly, the term "gentlemen's club" has been hijacked and taken away from us. You mention it to most people nowadays and a strip club immediately comes to mind. :(

Yes.... always struck me as ironic they use the term nowadays to mean the sort of place in which no gentleman would ever set foot.

m0nk

One Too Many
I've always liked "den" or "study". And I think when a room frees up in my house, it's going to become the study....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner