Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Manhattans

rikrdo

A-List Customer
well............

I have officially gotten over the horrid experience of 20 years ago when I was introduced to the Manhattan and have found they really are NOT supposed to taste like warm paint thinner.
Now.
I have been using Old GrandDad, since it was available ;), but have discovered my beverage should be made with a rye whiskey and have purchased some Old Overholt.
I wanted the Rittenhouse 100BIB but it is so difficult to find locally.
Ive also been using Peychauds Bitters, not Angostura, and was wondering how these ingredients will make change my cocktail ?

Bottom Line is this:

I'd like to know your best recipes for this classic.
Please be specific.
Thanks.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Manhattans are my favourite.

Ice to fill a single-serve shaker, 2 shots Maker's Mark, about a 3/4 shot sweet vermouth, dash of dry vermouth, and a couple of drops of Angostura bitters. Shake the stuffing out of it and strain into a cocktail glass. Add a cherry if you like.

rikrdo

A-List Customer
Very good, sir.
Shaken, not stirred, and a dash of DRY vermouth. Noted.

Do you prefer any particular vermouth ? Noilly Prat has been used so far.

...............Im still kicking myself for not getting any Vya when we visited Quady Winery last year

Ben

One of the Regulars
Satin Manhattan

I like the regular ones just fine, but I also like this recipe from Dale DeGroff:

Satin Manhattan:

1 1/2 oz. of scotch (I usually substitute Maker's mark, myself)
1/2 ounce of Vanilla Liquor (i like Navan, myself)
2 dashes bitters (right now I use my own homemade bitters)

I have also had a Latin Manhattan, which has bourbon infused with a a cigar. It is a harder drink, but tasty.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I make mine with sweet vermouth, lots of bitters, and a dash of maraschino cherry juice. Must be served very, very cold, 2 cherries please.

Also, I really like Manhattans made with Rye.

rikrdo

A-List Customer
Kitty:

How many = "lots" of bitters ?? and what brand of bitters do you like ?
and Ill try that dash of marischino cherry juice next time.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
rikrdo said:
How many = "lots" of bitters ?? and what brand of bitters do you like ?

Most folks like maybe 2-3 drops of bitters. I probably use closer to 8-10 for one cocktail. I use Angostura, but mostly because that's the easiest thing to get here. I've never tried anything else.

and Ill try that dash of marischino cherry juice next time.

It's good, but it depends on how sweet you like your drinks. I'll use much less juice if I'm using Jim Beam Rye, which is pretty sweet, and more if I'm using a plain, inexpensive whiskey like Canadian Club. I tend to not like to use bourbon for mixing cocktails, as I save that to drink neat. A lot of people recommend Maker's Mark for Manhattan's, but Maker's and I no longer get along. It's sad, really.

I've also heard that maraschino liqueur is a nice addition in small amounts, but I can't find it so juice it is.

adamjaskie

One of the Regulars
2oz rye whiskey, 1oz dry vermouth, a couple dashes of bitters, shaken with ice. Serve up with a cherry or two. I think that's the standard recipe. I find it a bit sweet, so I use half and half sweet and dry vermouth.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
rikrdo said:
Do you prefer any particular vermouth ? Noilly Prat has been used so far.
I use both dry and sweet NP, from 50/50 (Perfect Manhattan) to all sweet, depending on my mood.

scotrace said:
Add a cherry if you like.

MakersMarkGourmetBourbonCherries.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
rmrdaddy said:
You must have been a VERY bad kitten indeed to no longer be friends with my Old Pal Maker's......:eek:
That IS sad! :( :(

I know, I know. I swear it's not my fault.

In any case, I was never *that* fond of Maker's to begin with. I've always preferred small batch bourbons. Maker's has a rough taste to me.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
You can try Fee Brothers Old Fashioned Aromatic Bitters for something different than regular Angostura, and if you can get Sazerac Rye, try it over the old Overholt.

I'd have to have a gun pointed at me to use Jim Beam Rye. :eek:

Ben

One of the Regulars
Bassman said:
Bourbon infused with a cigar :confused: or a cigar infused with Bourbon?!;)

Bourbon infused with a cigar has an interesting smoothness, but it is an acquired taste, and one is about my limit.

univibe88

One Too Many
Sampling different bitters is a great idea. I personally like a dash of Peychaud and a dash of Angostura.

For anyone who has always shaken this drink, please try it stirred. At least just try it and make up your mind. I used to shake it also, but then I was advised to try it stirred. When you shaken it gets all foamy and cloudy. When stirred the color stays darker and translucent. I also find the texture of the drink more appealing.

But those are just my opinions - try for yourself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24