Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Matt Deckard Apparel

benstephens

Practically Family
Rittmeister said:
The flaps were not as common, even in the UK. So, this does not really make a difference. No vent would probably be more period in feel.

Piped flapless pockets would probably have been more common in this type of suit.

Hi Rittmeister,

I would like to see the evidence these were not that common on suits from the UK from the 30s and 40s.

In my research, they are slightly more common than piped pockets, on most types of suits. I have just been through my collection of tailoring catalogues/magazines from 1930 to 1940 and it seems that the majority of the suits have flapped pockets, with some being offered with piped pockets.

Some were offered without, but the majority with. If you can provide evidence to the contary about this I would be interested.

Kindest Regards

Ben

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I would have to say the exception is American double breasted suits...most of my vintage double breasted jackets and the ones I've seen here have piped/besom pockets. On the flipside, I've seen more double breasted British suits with pocket flaps than not.
But we're discussing single breasted suits, right?

Jerekson

One Too Many
Let's see those armholes, Matt!

On the subject of pockets. Rover made a pretty good observation. I own two double-breasted jackets with slit pockets and I see them regularly.

No doubt the double-layering of material would make the flaps look too busy.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I find that it's more about the amount of fabric making the hips look too wide.
A double breasted suit inherently looks wider than a single breasted suit, and adding more fabric on the hips would detract from a slimmer silhouette.

Mr. Rover said:
I would have to say the exception is American double breasted suits...most of my vintage double breasted jackets and the ones I've seen here have piped/besom pockets. On the flipside, I've seen more double breasted British suits with pocket flaps than not.
But we're discussing single breasted suits, right?

That's an interesting observation. It is entirely opposite to my own observation. Out of 15 DB US jackets i own/have owned - part of suits or otherwise - only 1 is flapless. The vast majority i've been around in vintage stores etc. also had flaps.

bk

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I was looking through a 1943 Sears catalog last night and while a large majority had flaps, there were quite a few, both SB and DB, that were flapless. I'd say 1/5 of the jackets in that catalog were flapless.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
You haven't seen anything yet. Someone over on AAAC disagreed with Matt D that armscye(holes) was the only problem with modern suits....now them's fightin' words!:eek: :eek:

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
Hello Ben,

The only time i see a majority without flaps is on tuxedo jackets. For suits, flaps are the norm. Certainly the case for British as well as American suits. I've seen maybe 5% of American suits flapless (excluding patch pocket jackets). British, less than that %.

bk

Mostly the single breasted suits I own have flap pockets. Most of the double breasted suits I own have no flaps... And the ones that do have them, I tuck them in anyway... they just get in the way.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
MATT...must ...have ...more ....pix

2290582796_0937b2c148.jpg

1867336044_3531918594.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Ohhh, but pix are really beside the point. Where real men gather to discuss material culture, the object is always to be acclaimed The (or at least A) Foremost Authority on the strength of your persuasive powers alone.

It's especially impressive to do so when speaking on the topic of general trends, because you have to have seen enough examples to form an opinion.

Continue, gents; I watch with interest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy