Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Max Factor Pan-Cake Foundation

Jenautica

Familiar Face
Hi ladies! Thanks to some of you, I'm a devoted cold cream/witch hazel lover! Tonight while shopping, I came across a display of MF's Pan-cake foundation. Again, trusting the judgement of the ladies around here, I picked up the lightest shade they had and tossed it in my cart.

Now that I'm home, I've realized that I don't have the foggiest clue as to how it's used. The instructions said apply with a damp sponge, but when I tried that, it felt like I wasn't getting enough product on the sponge.

Does anyone have any tips? Or is this just one of those products that I will have to fiddle with to get it right? :p

Any tips or experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Must it be used with a damp sponge? Has anyone tried it with a dry puff. I'm thinking it would be similar to Lancome's Dual Finish or other wet/dry type make up.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Yes, Pan-Cake is water activated--you can't use it dry. I use mine with either a sea sponge or a foam wedge. The trick is to have the sponge damp enough to swirl it around in the cake and create a smooth liquid, but not so wet as to have it apply streaky. Another trick is to buff over the makeup with a velour puff after it has dried.

Jenautica

Familiar Face
Thanks for the tips. I learned very quickly about the streaky-ness this morning LOL! I won't be getting my sponge that wet next time.

Just out of curiousity, how does the Pan-Stick compare? Is it oily?

Nice avatar, BTW>

Thank you! It's Noel Toy :D

Pandora Pitstop

New in Town
Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse is a good modern substitue, a little goes a long way without the heavy look that pan stick or pan cake can give but the colour selection is limited.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I do like Maybelline's Mousse foundation--it's pretty good, as is Cover Girl's whipped foundation. However, properly applied Pan-Cake and Pan-Stik foundation will not look heavy (you've got to use a very light hand, and stop just before you think you have enough foundation on.) In fact, Pan-Cake is one of the most natural looking foundations I have ever tried :)

Pandora Pitstop

New in Town
Unfortunately I have very oily skin and most anything can look heavy. The good part of this is at least my skin will not dry and wrinkle as quickly as it could as I drift through middle-age.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I deal with a similar issue, and am so pale that most foundations scream out that I am wearing them anyway because the color is often off. But Pan-Cake is fairly dry and I find that it looks very velvety on my skin.

I wouldn't recommend Pan-Stik to someone with oily skin, but I think both of these makeups have gotten a bad rap due to heavy-handed application [huh]

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
I use the Panstick.

You do have to use it sparingly or it can be very heavy and "mask-like", but using the correct amount can also give you long lasting excellent coverage.

I apply mine by just swiping it across my cheeks and T-zone and blending, a little goes along way and you can control the amount of coverage.

Another great vintage age product!:)

RaasAlHayya

A-List Customer
I use a pancake-style foundation that I apply with a foundation brush...Oil-Free Creme Foundation Duo by Lola (shade: Light) is the best foundation I've ever found for my oily skin. The foundation brush indeed gives a very natural, lightweight application. I don't even need to use powder most of the time. I also love their Creme Blush (in St Tropez), which doubles as a lipstick.

--Leslie

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
I have purchased Pan Cake and really like it. I use a damp velour puff instead of a sponge. I lightly swipe in on and then stipple the puff on my face. This seems to lessen the streaking. After it dries, I use another dry puff and buff like crazy. I read somewhere to start applying in the center of your face and blend outwards and this seems to work the best. I apply my blush, usually a cream, and then dust on alittle Airspun to smooth and finish everything off. The effect is very nice and it does wear all day. I'm hoping this routine will work in the hot steamy months of summer, only time will tell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner