Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Members in Uniforms Part 2

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
That was showing the timeframe between then and now, the 20th anniversary. Funny, dozens of people saw this sign, and nobody had the same conclusion you did, but after reading your post, I must admit I wonder why nobody else had the same thought you had!

Okay, that explains it. It's just that a couple of times when someone has asked me where I served, and I've answered Iraq, they've asked me, "First Desert Storm?" As if there were a second one...

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
It is my understanding that the Army issued cammies to US troops in Europe, but discontinued the uniform. It seems it resembled the German uniform too much, and GIs were being shot by mistake. It is nice to see something different than your average BOB or Pvt Ryan uniform.

I have also seen theater made cammies in the CBI theater. It was a pilot with the 1st Air Commandos flying P-51s. He had taken his flight suit and took a brush to it. He painted marks all over the suit. It was a blk and wht pic so I could not tell what the color was but it was OD with either blk or brown splotches painted on it. I thought about doing one of those. He was also wearing an Aussie slouch hat and had a colt 45 strapped to his hip. Gave him kind of a wild west look.

=GG=

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

Dad was in the 17th Weather Squadron, which was assigned to the 5th, 13th, Far East Air Force (FEAF), and then one of the numbered ones again. He said he never had a clue what number AF he was in. I'll have to look, I blew up a lot of the pictures that were taken of him on Fiji, Efate, and Wallis Island. I'll try and post them sometime.

His uniform was HBT coveralls, or Khaki's with his Master Sergeant's stripes on one sleeve and that was it. Most of the REAL forecasting was third shift to get ready for the flights out at daybreak, so he wore a lot of khaki cutoffs and white Marine t-shirts. He never received any USAAF patch.

Later

cco23i

A-List Customer
Funny, except for the fact you are not green, you look like everyone that flew in that position on our PV2D! I think fumes were comming in through the wings. Lots of breakfasts had to be cleaned up after a morning flight.

I know I aint sick, it takes A LOT to get me when I'm flying. I love it too much!

Scott

cco23i

A-List Customer
Hi

Dad was in the 17th Weather Squadron, which was assigned to the 5th, 13th, Far East Air Force (FEAF), and then one of the numbered ones again. He said he never had a clue what number AF he was in. I'll have to look, I blew up a lot of the pictures that were taken of him on Fiji, Efate, and Wallis Island. I'll try and post them sometime.

His uniform was HBT coveralls, or Khaki's with his Master Sergeant's stripes on one sleeve and that was it. Most of the REAL forecasting was third shift to get ready for the flights out at daybreak, so he wore a lot of khaki cutoffs and white Marine t-shirts. He never received any USAAF patch.

Later

Any photos of your dad in uniform?

Scott

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have a LOT of pics, but they're not on my computer at work AND my home computer is SLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW, so it will take some time to post them. I have two of his Olive drab wool shirts, he said he wore his wool pants out. I also have his roughouts, but they're smooth now. They were his yard mowing shoes until he quit mowing due to a hernia back in the 1970's.

Later

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
Hi

Later

I remember hearing about the 17th. They were with the 13th Air Force at Fiji from some of the records that I have seen. My dad was with the 4th AAF in training, then the 13th AAF and when the 13th and the 5th merged to become the FEAF, he was with them. He still wore his 13th patch on one sleeve and the FEAF on the other. The guys of both numbered AAFs did not want to give up their numbered AAF.

=GG=

MikePotts

Practically Family
Here's a few of your humble scribe

in various uniforms, hard to imagine he's turned into the haggard creature seen in the 'avatar':

Laureldene Academy for the sons of gentlefolk - I made that last part up:eek:

P1000798.jpg

Prep school:

P1000800.jpg

Then a little break until, pre "boot camp" pic:
(third from the left)

P1000856.jpg

The only pic. extant of me 'in country':

P1000802.jpg

A bit after that:

P1000805.jpg

Swing Motorman

One of the Regulars
After enjoying the many great pictures in this thread, I thought I'd chime in with some good ol' homefront transportation uniforms.

Taking the trolley in 1940s Allentown? I'm your man!
LVT_uniform1.JPG

(More on Lehigh Valley Transit uniforms here.)

Working on a new coat to go with this particular railroad theme, based on the following very thread-appropriate wartime poster:
PRR_Uniform%252740s.JPG

But for now, I stand in for the mighty Pennsy in simple yet accurate single-breasted '40s fashion. I overuse this photo, but it came out so perfectly...
05-07-12_RRfirstImpressions_img0.jpg

My cap's off to all you sharp fellas in military garb (and even more so to those of you currently in or now out of actual service)!

-Steven

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner