Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men wearing make-up

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
scotrace said:
The ability to use a little concealer would be nice now and again.

I think that sums it up just right.

People in the thread seem to be comparing theatre make up to normal every day wear, and you cant. Whats the problem if a guy wants to cover a blemish with a bit of concealer, or make a facial scar a little less noticeable? Were not talking Flock of Seagulls 80s/monster movie/photo shoot make up here.

LD

David V

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
Is there really a difference between these two? [huh]
Flynn.jpg
johnny_depp.jpg

One looks as though he'd smell better.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
any -look- that involves going back in time....really shouldn't 'scoff' at other looks....

because seriously....go back a bit further then -this- subculture...and there were then men wearing makeup....go back again and they didn't....and further back again they did...

so this whole 'manly men' stuff is erm nonsense...or are you seriously arguing that the Pharaohs were 'poncy unmanly men'?

like all things -fashion- related....there is nothing new under the sun..and it cycles over the centuries....

The problem is that people here tend not to believe they belong to a subculture that follows a -fashion- just like every other human group.....and so there is some presumption of 'rightness' of 'our way'.....

I would just add that since fashions do change, wearing makeup doesn't have the same meaning in 2009 as it did in 1799.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I will chime in...

on the need for trimming one's nasal bristles!

The worst, is when you are in a romantic liplock, and one of his nose hairs goes up your nose and stabs you in the mucous membrane, A real mood killer.

So boys, invest in tiny scissors! Or one of those little gear thingys built for the purpose!

LeeB

Familiar Face
The real issue I see in this question is whether men should be wearing make up on a daily basis. Most of the examples that have been floated thru this thread of men in make have been actors and musicians who are wearing said make up as part of thier role, be it on stage or on film. Really, how many of these guys are wearing it as they sit around their mansions on a daily basis? Hell, most of the women I know don't wear make up around the house, only when they go out.
For me, the idea of a man wearing make up is slightly on the creepy side and not for the 'manly-men' reason. I consider myself a resoanably well-groomed man. I work from home, but I am up and dressed, teeth brushed, hair cmobed and beard trimmed every one of those days. But, I will (absolutely) not wear make up, get contacts instead of glasses, get hair dye to cover my grey or get plastic surgery of any kind. In my way of thinking, all those things either serve vanity or cover up the reality of who we are. I have no need to look younger than I am because I simply am not young.

Odalisque

A-List Customer
What I don't understand is the double standard.
Example, I prefer to not wear make-up sometimes, I prefer to wear my beaus t-shirts (often) and I prefer to not shave my legs unless I really feel the need.
Doesn't make me less of a woman.
Now why, when the roles are switched, does a man become unmanly if he prefers to wear make-up, his wife's pants and shave his legs regularly?

Are we women that much more confident in ourselves to shake social norms?

I think it's a strong man who can present himself however he likes without worrying who will think he's a wuss or not.

LeeB

Familiar Face
I don't think there is any inherent courage in being male or female. Just as there is no gender specification in self confidence. I refuse to wear ultra baggy jeans ( or is the new thing the ultra tight aka. 'skinny' jeans) or wear a ball cap backwards. Does that infer I am shaking the social norms? Perhaps. Most folks dress or make themselves up in a particular fashion because they believe they are being different from eveyone else when, in reality, they are emulating the others within thier own subset of the culture.
I was in a conversation with a few ladies yesterday in which they were tlaking about getting their having a spa day. I remarked, jokingly, that I was at the wrong table. One of them asked if men don't take spa day. My reply was that for me, a spa day is sitting out by an open fire with my dog and a cup of coffee.
If you ever see me at a spa, shoot on sight. I have been replaced with a pod person!

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
The double standard is real and perennial.

Odalisque said:
What I don't understand is the double standard.
Can it really be true that you don't understand the double standard, or is it that you don't approve of some of the implications of the double standard and say that you don't understand it as a rhetorical gambit?

Men and women are biologically different, and from my reading of history, have always been socially different, too. Yes, even today.

You may or may not like these facts, but they are facts none the less. A woman may choose to wear slacks or a skirt and in the social context of western society in the early 21st century, it is a choice that no one finds remarkable. In the same social context, men do not wear skirts. Or at least if a man does, it signifies that he falls outside the social norms.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think the stumbling block for a lot of people is when you say "make up" people immediately think of *feminine* makeup -- and the image they get is of a man going around with lipstick, eye shadow, tweezed eyebrows, powder, and all the rest. As has been said, that automatically would put one, in our culture, outside the norm, no matter what the context. The image that comes to mind for me is the guy from "Cabaret," which is not an image one associates with "masculinity." One who does this should be prepared to deal with the comments that he'll get. Fact of life, like it or not.

But if a guy wants to even out his skin tone or cover a flaw or correct a defect or whatever, by using some sort of makeup, so what? Who will even notice?

In the twenties, it was quite common for a man to dab his cheeks with talcum powder after a shave -- so much so that some high-class men's restrooms came equipped with powder dispensers right next to the Boraxo dispenser over the sink. If that doesn't count as makeup, it's pretty darn close.

Warbaby

One Too Many
I find it interesting and amusing that it's perfectly acceptable for a man to decorate himself with colorful tattoos, but a bit of eyeliner and shadow instantly unman him - and heaven forfend that he should shave any part of his body below the neck.

Cultural taboos are really quite silly.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
KILO NOVEMBER said:
Men and women are biologically different, and from my reading of history, have always been socially different, too. Yes, even today.

This must explain it all, men must biologically just be more susceptible to perceived unmanlyness....

Still does not explain why it bothers you all so much that -other men- don't share your hangups. If they don't have an issue with themselves and wearing makeup...why the heck should you have an issue with -them-??

I finish this with.....

We're men, we're men in tights
We roam around the forest looking for fights
We're men, We're men in tights
We rob from the rich and give to the poor, that's right
We may look like sissies
But watch what you say, or else we'll put out your lights
Always on guard defending the people's rights

La, la, la, ....etc

We're men, manly men, we're men in tights Yeah!
We roam around the forest looking for fights
We rob from the rich and give to the poor, that's right
We may look like pansies
But don't get us wrong, or else we'll put out your lights
We're men, we're men in tights, tight tights
Always on guard defending the people's rights
When you're in a fix, call for the men in tights
We're Butch!!

Because -someone- had to.....and I am taking one for the team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters