Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men wearing make-up

immortaldiamond

Familiar Face
chanteuseCarey said:
From seeing the men's clothes in this clip- those suits are not 1940s. The gals' hair and dresses suggest at least late 50s, 60s or maybe even the early 1970s.
If the first lady is Barbara Cartland, as one of the comments suggests, then it's definitely not 60s or 70s as she died in her 80s about ten years ago. Those English accents disappeared soon after the Beatles strummed their first chords.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Oh thats Cecily Courtney Courtridge

That's the famous stage star being interviewed There! but back on thread , Does teen heartthrob Zac Efron's love of "mancake" foundation and "guyliner" put him on the edge of a new men's makeup breakthrough? I do use a sunblock that is skin toned, it does stop you looking like "Casper the Ghost", you know that look you get with white based sunblocks.

You hear 1920's refences to men with "Powder" but is it face powder or Cocaine?, in the 1970s Mary Quant ( or is it Dame Mary Quant?) introduced her "Colouring box for men", which included a bronzer, manscara, khaki eye shadow

LordBest

Practically Family
I could listen to Mrs Legge, later Lady Lewisham, Lady Dartmouth, Countess Spencer, Comtesse de Chambrun and finally Countess Spencer again talk all day, what a splendid accent!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The ability to use a little concealer would be nice now and again.

Some days you wake up and look in the mirror and think, "Dang. You ugly. And there ain't nothin' you can do about it Pal."

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
^ my brother as a teen used to use concealer. [huh] Go for it lol

personally (warning: teenager rant/opinion) personally, guys in eyeliner are HOTTT.

:eek:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
OK, now after actually watching the video: Wow. With the exception of the compact and powdering (the poof! lol), the rest of it is common for men now. There must be someone out there marketing makeup for men by now? (not for me, thanks)
The second woman HAD to have been the inspiration for many Python sketches.

Caity Lynn said:
personally (warning: teenager rant/opinion) personally, guys in eyeliner are HOTTT.

(Marc: Thread title revision perhaps? I think we have a hot topic!)

Barbigirl

Practically Family
More important than man makeup...

Facial grooming and I don't mean your beard!

Don't worry so much about the make up.
PLEASE WORRY about grooming your eyebrows, nose hair and ear beards!

If you are pushing 40 or over -- Don't think you don't have them, you do. It is just not attractive.

I wish for you a partner who is intimate enough they can help where you cannot see. It's sexy hot to be man enough to let your partner help. If you don't believe me, find a man with good eyebrows and ask him.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
^eyebrows!!!! *shudder* I wish men would take at least SOME care of their eyebrows.

Unibrow, NO, no shape whatsoever, NO. That needs fixed.

Not extreme, but come on men, if women can pluck and wax out eyebrows to the freaky extent we do, you can lose a few hairs once a month.

(ok, I'm done ranting lol)

Warbaby

One Too Many
I've been keeping by eyebrows (as well as unsightly hairs sprouting from other facial orifices) plucked for more than 40 years. I just wish more men owned a pair of tweezers - visible nose hair is simply too gross for words.

In my younger days, back in the glam-inspired 70s, I went through a phase of wearing fairly elaborate eye makeup. At the time, I was working at a rather staid institution, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and the reactions from my cow-orkers were amusing, to say the least. Apparantly men are very confused by a straight male wearing makeup and try their best to ignore it. OTOH, most of the women I knew loved it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner