Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men Who Make Bowties Look Good

Mycroft

One Too Many
There are a few film and T.V. stars who make bowties (not including tuxs) look good.

Sean Conery-The Untouchables
Bogie-many films
Jermey Brett-Sherlock Holmes Mysteries (T.V.)
Timothy Hitton(on rare occations)-Nero Wolfe

...More to come

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
What about Indy?

I think Harrison made a bowtie look really good in LC. Everything in his costume really worked well together.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
What about you?

Anyone here wear them? I wore them every day in the early 80's, and I can tell you the fedora ribbing is nothing compared to what people hit you with when you're sporting a propeller.

Got me dates, though. :)

renor27

One of the Regulars
Bowties

I would like to start wearing them just have not found any really good vinatge ( made between 1935 and 1941) ones out there. Have bunch of wild early 1940 ties short and wide allways get some ribbing for those. Any one out there have a few or even one real bowtie from the period I just mention, must be the kind you really tie no clip ons, I would be intersted in buying then or just one.
David
Reno Nv

Pen Collector

One of the Regulars
I wear them occasionally

I think they are a nice change from wearing regular ties. The last gentleman fired on "the apprentice" last night wore one. It looked good.

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
I own several bow ties, and wear them as often as possible. A word of advice, in my humble opinion, I have seen many men wear them with oxford collar short sleeve shirts. This is not flattering. I believe I have only seen one man, Zohar actually, whos' bow tie is complemented by a short sleeve shirt.

I love the look of a bow tie, unfortunately, for some reason, almost every vintage bow tie I have ever owned frays uncontrollably, regardless of material. This could be due to the extreme tension that's placed on one when wearing it. There is only about 1/4 of the bow tie that isn't receiving strain when wearing it.

Unfortunately some of the nicest bow ties I have ever seen from the period are clipons. I don't know why but there are some beautiful patterns with some clip ons. I have been tempted many times to purchase them for the sake of owning the pattern, but it took so long to master tying one the last thing I want to do is wear a clip on!

Another fun thing is buying vintage fabrics on ebay and making your own bow ties! I have made a few (the benefits of dating a costume designer... free interfacing! haha) not only can you decide the pattern you like but you also have the satisfaction of knowing that you're wearing an (insert name here) original bow tie!

Dan

Wild Root

Gone Home
You guys forgot Bing Crosby! Now that man made a bowtie rock!

We must not forget that the early Frankie wore bowties and really made them work.

I think the bowtie is just as dressy as a neck tie. You can wear it with just about any thing and it would work. But Dan, I'm with you on the short sleeved shirts and oxford collars! NO WAY JOSE! Not going to impress any one by any means!

Cheers,

Root.
frank1mb.jpg

bc11.jpg

See how Frank made it work! Not bad Frank, not bad!

sinatra.jpg

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
Figures. Before I edited my post above I made mention of Bing Crosby, but I forgot to re-write him when I edited the post. Blast!

*Dan goes back to his Bing shrine asking for forgiveness and hoping atonement will not be necessary as it so often is.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Bowties

I have a Doc that actually wears em.

A couple years ago I stopped in for another work injury and was filling out the paperwork. The nurse asked me if I had a preference for doctors, when Doc Cash walked in... He's a taller joe, with a dapper cut and a lop-sided grin. (Kinda young Jimmy Stewart, ya know what I mean)

So I figured anyone that can pull off a bowtie can patch me up anytime.

A helluva guy

Brody

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Large bow ties look absurd. Small ones, if worn with the right suit and shirt, are a very distinctive look...they're also unobtrusive compared to a four-in-hand.

Don't have any myself, but I'm looking for some...haven't found anything that I like so far.

Hamsterjeep

New in Town
Bowties...

A friend once told me that the bowtie is the "Universal sign of incompetence", so unless you're selling popcorn or working in a 1950's service station, I'll thank you to leave them to formal wear with a tuxedo.

Wild Root

Gone Home
"Universal sign of incompetence"

bc11.jpg

When I see guys wear them right, I don't think of incompetence! Was Bing Crosby incompetent? NO! He was the very first American idol!

The nerd factor is what makes most people steer clear of bowties. When worn right, it can look classy.

Hey Hamster, do I look incompetent to you?

image15copy0xi.jpg

Watch what you say, you might start a fight!

Root.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I think of bowties(outside of Tux context) as being more comical than serious or business-like- not so serious as a trad necktie. But that's my impression.
'Root, the bowtie may take the edge off your look, not saying anything negative about it- just not as tough- but still sharp enough.
I think there is maybe a negative association with Clowns and Bowties but maybe theirs spin around....

B
T

Wild Root

Gone Home
No he's not. It's a dark suit. That's not a tie you would wear with a tux or a set of tails smart guy. :p

Ok, here's is a photo of Bing in something that is not to be confused with a tux!

bingwhithstetson4ge.jpg

Also, would Bogart be a service attendant because he wore a bowtie?

About the bowtie in the work force.

For a long time the black bowtie has been a snappy little item to set off a uniform. Milk man, service attendant, ushers at movie houses, delivery men, Soda Jerks and so on. Why a bow tie you ask? Well, it was part of a uniform. Something that was simple and low maintenance. It didn't get in the way of work like a long neck tie would have.

By suggesting that the bowtie is a symbol of incompetence putt’s some one in the place of saying that if you wear a bowtie as part of you uniform, you are a failure. Is that fare to say?

You're entitled to your own opinion, but just know that by saying such things don't mean you're any kind of expert on the matter.

Root.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Incompetent or not- there's still an entrenched association with service uniforms and befuddled academics though,
deservedly or not and despite the cool butterfly wearers.
It's sure great to know that people are still entitled to their own opinion around here WildRoot- keep it up.
Long live the Democracy! :cheers1:

B
T

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I think the association is with the guy not the tie. Scarce ties as they are the prejudice usually lies with those that can't tie one.

The bow ties with uniforms are to keep the tie out of the way, and those that underestimate the bow tie wearer are the same as those that think the hat wearer is strictly looking for attention.

You can look just as bumbling in a straight neck-tie as you can in a bow tie.

cooper1931-vi.jpg

21-vi.jpg

Tucker
aboutshowfpo2.jpg

Raj
gallery_raj_liebowitz.jpg

Dr. J

Familiar Face
Let's not forget one of the most debonair leading men of our century...I'm referring of course, to one P.W. Herman. Loner. Rebel.

"I know you are, but what am I"

Regards, Dr. J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy