Men's DRESS BOOTS to suit all budgets.

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by PADDY, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Chasseur

Chasseur Call Me a Cab

Sproily those are lovely boots! Now I want a pair and also several other styles on that site...

Thanks for the link!

2. undertaker

undertaker Practically Family

[​IMG]

These arrived today from Indy Magnoli today.

3. Bruce Wayne

Bruce Wayne My Mail is Forwarded Here

I am bumping this thread as I just now placed an order for a pair of Allen Edmonds 5th Street boot in black along with a pair of their Long Branch in dark brown. The Long Branches are going to be my new hiking boots.

4. jkingrph

jkingrph Practically Family

I saw this thread and checked out the Allen Edmonds and ordered a pair of the Dalton's in dark chocolate. They are on sale right now, about 20-25% odd list.

5. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

Saw a pair of brown brogue boots in the window of an Aldo of all places....

6. LoveMyHats2

LoveMyHats2 I'll Lock Up

The pair of Ralph Lauren boots are of the same appearance of a pair of dress boots I just sold a few days ago here on the lounge, they were so very well made, foot-so-port and had next to no wear on them at all. I knew the person who would purchase them will like the deal, as they are really not very common a find and actually would more than hold their own in any comparison of expensive dress boots out there.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  7. flyfishark

flyfishark Practically Family

Several pairs of boots

Foot So Port (Thanks LoveMyHats2)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Wolverine 721 LTD Horween Shell

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Alden 403 Chromexcel

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

Unknown Maker

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

8. Bruce Wayne

The Long Branches will be here on Monday & the Fifth Street boots that were in stock at the store were "unsellable" as the lady put it so they had a pair of uppers in stock that will be getting made up & will be here in a couple of weeks. I might be forced to go for a hike on Tuesday.

9. flat-top

flat-top My Mail is Forwarded Here

10. Tomasso

11. cookie

cookie I'll Lock Up

12. KILO NOVEMBER

KILO NOVEMBER Practically Family

How do you know?

I've been buying shoes for a long time (my 59th birthday was last week). I can tell obviously cheap shoes when I see them, and heaven knows, I see hundreds of them every day in elevators, on subway trains, and as I walk around outside after lunch. But, the remark that these Aldo shoes are well-made caused me to realize that I don't know the finer points on identifying really well-made shoes from reasonably well-made shoes.

What should I be looking for as discriminator evidence?

13. Tomasso

A Goodyear welted shoe is a good place to start..............

14. illumin8em

illumin8em A-List Customer

I disagree with "well made shoe" post that you are referring to. It looks like a good year welt but I have seen glued on sole made to look like sewn. Aldo has not been the best quality shoe, and I am skeptical to think they suddenly are. The photos do not let you zoom in close enough to see what is really going on, and nothing in the description says good year, unless I am completely overlooking it.

15. KILO NOVEMBER

KILO NOVEMBER Practically Family

Eyewitness news ...

Being Sunday, and the weather cool and rainy, I had some time on my hands. I remembered that there is an Aldo shoe store in a shopping mall a few miles from my home, so I drove over to look at the shoes.

They looked like $200 shoes. That is to say, they weren't what you'd call "high grade". The design is very nice, but the materials and construction looked second-rate. I turned the shoe over and looked at the sole. While they were made to look like the soles were stitched to the uppers, it was obvious that there were no real stitches through the sole, they were pressed to look that way.

So, if you want some good-looking boots that don't cost a lot, and you are going to be satisfied with one or two season's regular wear, go for it. If you want high-grade boots, and you're prepared to shell out twice that price, look at Alden or Allen Edmonds.

16. Bruce Wayne

The Long Branches came today. I liked them so much I ordered the Daltons in Walnut!

Pics to follow.

17. cookie

cookie I'll Lock Up

This ....which the Rumanian made Aldos are... from memory.

18. Bruce Wayne

[​IMG]

19. nihil

nihil One of the Regulars

Lovely boots! I've been looking for this style for ages. Any clues as where to get them (without paying to have a pair made by hand)?

20. Paul Roerich

Paul Roerich "A List" Customer

Well, that particular pair is vintage, probably 1940s or '50s. I believe that the Japanese make modern versions: they're pricey. Ralph Lauren's RRL line may have them too: also pricey. Over $400 retail. You can look for a vintage '20s-'50s pair (or a modern Japanese/RRL pair) on eBay, but you'll probably have to pay the same amount there too.