Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's DRESS BOOTS to suit all budgets.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I've gathered a sample of classic men's dress boots from both sides of the Atlantic (Britain and America) across the price ranges of medium expenditure and premium expenditure. Most times, you get what you pay for, but there are a few boots here that come in at a reasonable price for the quality (have a look at the Lord Hoxton and the Marks and Spencer offerings).
There are men's dress boots in the more budget range (such as one's found in Wild West reenactment stores) that use cheaper grade leathers. But from previous threads, these put 'looks' above functionality and longetivity.
Anyway, have a gander at these offerings (I'll spread the photos over two sections).

These boots range from £50 (GBP) with the tan Lord Hoxton which can be found at ASOS.
The Brogue boot at High Street Store, NEXT (in the UK) at £70.
The toecap boot at M&S coming in at £99 (GBP).
The Loakes at £135 (GBP)
Grensons at £165 (GBP)
Churches and Trickers at around the £300.
Edward Green's from £400 upwards.

Orvis at $398 (USD)
Rag & Bone at $650
Aldens (you'll need to check)
Ralph Lauren at around the $700 mark.

Hope this helps wet your appetite for a nice, fine Gentleman's dress boot. Happy Hunting!!

IN ORDER:

GRENSON
GRENSON SHARPS
EDWARD GREEN CARMINA
EDWARD GREEN
EDWARD GREEN SUEDE SHANNON
TRICKERS
ALDENS CORDOVAN
RAG & BONE, CANVAS AND LEATHER

Grenson.jpg

GrensonSharpTan.jpg

carmina-boot2ewardgreen.jpg

edwardgreen.jpg

eg_shannon.jpg

trickers-stow-brogue-boot.jpg

RTEmagicC_alden-cordovan-lace-boots.jpg

canvasleather_fallboots0808.jpg

sproily

Practically Family
I quite liked the look of these and they were quite cheap:

http://www.office.co.uk/mens/office/heart_toe_cap_boot/41/7109/19211/1/

I think they are the same boot as with Marks and Spencer?

And if you're looking for boots don't forget that you might find something like this for a song at a thrift store!

shoes1p.jpg

Although I'm sure everyone knows that already.. I'll shut up now.

Thanks for taking the time to do this thread!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
C&J Boots for Brooks Bros

edwardgreen.jpg

Brooks Bros had a version of this style which I bought thruough a proxy:They are normally USD548 and cost me all up about USD300. I think the sale price was USD199.

Dark tan scotch grain, Dainite soles, made in England by Crockett & Jones on the 240 last. They're basically the Conniston on a different last.

DSC_0352.jpg

http://s84.photobucket.com/albums/k9/chorse123/more sf pics/?action=view&current=DSC_0354.jpg

Thanks Paddy for an awesome post...my fave?...the EG Cordovan high tops..

Edward

Bartender
I bought a pair of patterned-brogue boots on eBay a couple of years ago, new, for £45 or so. There are still a lot of them on there. I believe they are Grensons - nice boots for the money, they compare very favourable to my other footwear, which includes Clarks (I know a lot of folks don't like them; I've always had great experiences with Clarks [huh] ) and Loakes. Loakes in general seem to be very good. I'd love some Trickers (the country brogues with the heavy duty soles especially) and Church's, but I suspect those will long stay out of my shoe-buying budget arena. I also have a pair of plain, Oxford style Sanders boots, bought on eBay, seocnd hand but never worn ,for £20. Lovely boots. Alas, one of them has a nasty scratch on the toe, I believe occasioned by a falling kitten, and I've not had the chance to wear 'em yet!

Edward

Bartender
John Lobb's stuff is gorgeous, but you could buy my entire footwear wardrobe twice over and still have change for a decent blazer with what a single pair of those costs! :eek:

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
UPDATE on M&S boots.

They are only £60 (GBP), - I overpriced them, so apologies! but seem to run a size large (ie: I'm a UK 8, but their UK 7 fits me).

'If' you are in the UK, it really would be worth trying a pair on! ;)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
ASOS Boots

Those are in list too Sproily, as the Lord Hoxton at ASOS ;) But I cannot say how the sizes run.
I do know that the M&S ones run a size large, as I'm currently wearing a pair as I type, so order a size smaller than what you usually take. If you have M&S in Finland, then it would be worth popping in and trying them on for size first.
They're made in Italy (not the Far East) and are part of the M&S Autograph range (which is Italian, I understand). The sole it manmade, so I'm going to my cobbler to get either a leather or rubber sole put on top for longetivity and grip. For the price, I think they're 'really' good (otherwise I wouldn't bother saying).

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
For those who like it 'black...'

I bought these Grensons' a few years ago and love them. For the money (they were about £130 GBP ), you get a much higher grade boot than the cost would suggest, lined with glove leather. These are going to last and last. I call them my Mike Sullivan boots, as they make me think of the Road to Perdition movie!

For any of the old (or serving) soldiers out there, I gave them the hot spoon and Kiwi treatment (since the photos were taken) to flatten the pimples down and also to get a good surface for the toecap to bull it up to a shine with black and brown polish (the brown gives it a deeper shine 'look').

Vintageboots001.jpg

Vintageboots004.jpg

Vintageboots005.jpg

Vintageboots006.jpg

sproily

Practically Family
PADDY said:
Those are in list too Sproily, as the Lord Hoxton at ASOS ;) But I cannot say how the sizes run.
I do know that the M&S ones run a size large, as I'm currently wearing a pair as I type, so order a size smaller than what you usually take. If you have M&S in Finland, then it would be worth popping in and trying them on for size first.
They're made in Italy (not the Far East) and are part of the M&S Autograph range (which is Italian, I understand). The sole it manmade, so I'm going to my cobbler to get either a leather or rubber sole put on top for longetivity and grip. For the price, I think they're 'really' good (otherwise I wouldn't bother saying).

Oh I thought I had gone the list through but it seems I wasn't thorough enough.

Do you have a link for the M&S site on these boots?

And no, I'm afraid we don't have Marks & Spencer here in Finland :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy