Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Men's Dress Hat Stores, in New York City.

AXL DEMOCRACY

One of the Regulars
I plan on going this week! I actually visited the store already but it was closed, because it was Sunday.

I really need to get a new ribbon for my straw. And I hope to talk to them about working on my Churchill.

AXL DEMOCRACY

One of the Regulars
Finally visited Worth and Worth today and I had such an amazing experience. It was like being a kid in a candy store with their beautiful selection of hats.

And the service was absolutely fantastic. Brandon took care of me, who was not just one of the most knowledgeable people I have ever met regarding hats, but one of the most beautiful people I have ever met. What a terrific lovely gentleman!
He was SO helpful in finding me new ribbons for my Stetson straw and Stratoliner. His advice and opinions were invaluable and so greatly appreciated!

I pick up my hats with their new ribbons on Friday and I will probably bring in my Churchill to be serviced then too! It needs A LOT of work, but man I wouldn't trust anyone else with it than Worth and Worth.

I also have my eye on a MAGNIFICENT hat that Worth and Worth makes for a very affordable $265 price tag! That might be on my head in the near future!

Thank you Brandon, and thank you Worth and Worth for still being around! Cheers to them and hope they are around for more generations to come! :eusa_clap

carldelo

One Too Many
AXL it sounds like you had a great time. It goes without saying that we'd all like to see pictures of the work when it's done. Do you know the model name of their hat that you covet? There's a lot of nice lids on their website.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
AXL DEMOCRACY said:
Finally visited Worth and Worth today and I had such an amazing experience. It was like being a kid in a candy store with their beautiful selection of hats.

And the service was absolutely fantastic. Brandon took care of me, who was not just one of the most knowledgeable people I have ever met regarding hats, but one of the most beautiful people I have ever met. What a terrific lovely gentleman!
He was SO helpful in finding me new ribbons for my Stetson straw and Stratoliner. His advice and opinions were invaluable and so greatly appreciated!

I pick up my hats with their new ribbons on Friday and I will probably bring in my Churchill to be serviced then too! It needs A LOT of work, but man I wouldn't trust anyone else with it than Worth and Worth.

I also have my eye on a MAGNIFICENT hat that Worth and Worth makes for a very affordable $265 price tag! That might be on my head in the near future!

Thank you Brandon, and thank you Worth and Worth for still being around! Cheers to them and hope they are around for more generations to come! :eusa_clap

A :arated: if a post ever deserved one! I went to W&W this weekend too, and also had the pleasure of speaking to Brandon. Great guy; very nice and knowledgeable. I bought a Primavera in a moss green. It's amazing! I got a tour of the back of the store, too. :D This was actually my first time in a real hat store, and it is an experience being able to speak one on one with someone who actually knows all the hat jargon. I cannot recommend W&W enough!

Cheers,

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
fluteplayer07 said:
A :arated: if a post ever deserved one! I went to W&W this weekend too, and also had the pleasure of speaking to Brandon. Great guy; very nice and knowledgeable. I bought a Primavera in a moss green. It's amazing! I got a tour of the back of the store, too. :D This was actually my first time in a real hat store, and it is an experience being able to speak one on one with someone who actually knows all the hat jargon. I cannot recommend W&W enough!

Cheers,

Told you so! ;) AXL, Flute, if Brandon impressed you this much, wait 'till you meet Orlando the owner and hat maker.

AXL DEMOCRACY

One of the Regulars
carldelo said:
AXL it sounds like you had a great time. It goes without saying that we'd all like to see pictures of the work when it's done. Do you know the model name of their hat that you covet? There's a lot of nice lids on their website.

I forgot the name of it but it was an almost champagne type color. Amazing felt. I think there was only left, and not my size, but not sure if there will be any more made or available in the future. Still have my eye on it though!

AXL DEMOCRACY

One of the Regulars
fluteplayer07 said:

Cheers,

Flute! Awesome! So cool you had that experience!

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fedord Spaniard said:

if anyone knows any New York City based Men's dress hats stores, with what i listed above, please let me know. Thank you.
Today I visited New York and made it a point to visit three hat stores. Here's the result. At Worth and Worth, the first stop, I was pleasantly surprised by an upscale, well-lit and breezy shop on the sixth floor of a an office building. Pleasantly surprised because someone here earlier made it sound sort of dumpy, which it definitely is not. Two-thirds of the selection was stingy brim hats for the young; about a third wider brim fedoras of the kind I would like. They are largely Guerra felt made into hats by Worth and Worth. I spoke with the guy who makes the hats and is present on the shop floor. I would have bought one or two of the fedoras right then if I had had the money; they were reasonably priced, especially for New York. I plan to buy one of them in the Fall. There were some Montecristi Panamas that were very nice, including one I would have bought if I had the money.

At JJ hats, there was a large selection of Panamas and Borsalinos. The Panamas were probably double what I would pay from Panama Bob or Panama Hats direct, quality for quality, I am guessing (without knowing), but they had some nice ones. They had a big wall of Borsalinos, mostly with wider ribbon, at 2 1/2 inch brim and below, and 3 inch brim. If they had different brim sizes I might have been a customer down the road.

At H. Herzfeld, a men's store, they had a nice selection of Borsalino Como, and some Borsalino beaver, all 2 1/2 inch brim and perhaps less. They also had some nice straw hats and Panama hats. Borsalino prices about at market.

Where I personally would have bought was at Worth and Worth, because of the cool fedora they made, just my style--2 5/8 inch brim, Borsalino size ribbon, nice light gray color ("dove gray"), relatively low crown. It looked very contemporary as a men's dress hat. I'm big on contemporary looking, so I could just wear it out on the street immediately and it look cool. So it's on my list.

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
Arnold Hatters was where I bought most of my hats for years. There is a small store I know of in Brooklyn on the corner of Dean and Smith street called "Bejewled" that sells classic fedora's, porkie's a couple of derbies, and classic caps along with modern versions. The prices are pretty reasonable.

MarkIsTheCleaner

New in Town
Thanks. This helps.

This may help--I recently did a hat shopping trip to New York, and posted about it here:

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=49508

To sum up, I didn't know about Bencraft Hatters before going, so I visited 3 stores--Worth & Worth, The Hat Corner, and JJ's Hat Store. I found all three to be excellent, and worth visiting for their own flair. I would summarize them this way:

Worth & Worth - had the fanciest, highest quality hats, for a higher price
The Hat Corner - By far the least expensive, and a great homely little shop, but selection is limited
JJ's Hat Store - By far the largest selection (although the season I went they didn't have much in my size)

Hope that helps

Lovely summary.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I'm confused by the descriptions I've often seen of Worth and Worth as a classic hat store. Their hats seem to be more of the modern, trendy type as opposed to classic.

I don't mean to knock W&W -- the guys who work there are very nice, and I'm sure they're filling a niche in the market. But I paid my first visit there recently, and it wasn't at all what I expected. I thought it'd be an even higher-end J.J. Hat Center, and it wasn't at all.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The Hat Corner is out of business. As is Dae Sung....Ya gotta come to Williamsburg for the good stuff!

MarkIsTheCleaner

New in Town
The Hat Corner is out of business. As is Dae Sung....Ya gotta come to Williamsburg for the good stuff!

I assume you mean to Bencraft in Williamsburg. I went to their other store, closer to where my brother lives; I was visiting him. I got a very nice Chatham by Stetson, 03 Caribou color. They didn't have long ovals per se but they had R, which I assume is for regular oval, rather than more circular hats.

MarkIsTheCleaner

New in Town
Finally went to Bencraft and bought a hat.

Well, I went to Bencraft, not the Williamsburg store, and bought a very nice Chatham by Stetson. Next time I will go to their larger store in Williamsburg. I think I would like to look at more sporty hats. The salesmen there suggested a sportier look but I liked the Caribou Chatham. I even kept the feather for now. They didn't know what the X-Factor was of the hat but said it was rabbit. All in all, I am satisfied. Net hat I'll look for something in a brown tone.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael