Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Merv Griffin dies at 82

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:
His evening talk show that he hosted (with Arthur Treacher) was a great show for guests and watchers alike. Plus his creativeness brought us some fine tv game shows.

I used to watch his talk show with my parents. Many of his game shows are, fortunately, still with us. I can't tell you how many times I've seen or heard, "A Merv Griffin Production" at the end of a number of shows.

He was a very talented man. :eusa_clap

Lee

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
Remember my grandmother watching his show every afternoon, when I was a mere lad.....Would come home from school and there would be Merv.

Always seemed such an affable guy. I wish him peace........

Hondo

One Too Many
I also remember him with Arthur Treacher, used to skip home work, watch him in the afternoon, many great guests long gone, R.I.P. Merv.

John in Covina said:
His evening talk show that he hosted (with Arthur Treacher) was a great show for guests and watchers alike. Plus his creativeness brought us some fine tv game shows.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Who would have ever heard of Moms Mabley or Totie Fields without Merv?

MomsMabley.jpg

fields_t.jpg

Merv: "How have you been Moms?"
Mabley: "Well, I been havin' the seenus troubles."
Merv: "Don't you mean sinus troubles?"
"Mabley, "Naw, I was with another woman's husband and she seen us!"

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
I use to watch the mighty trio of TV talk hosts Merv, Mike And Dinah! when I got home from school every afternoon along with my glass of milk and piece of cake. Their shows introduced me to the great legends of the stage and screen.

To me Mike Douglas was the best. He had one star as a co-host for the entire week. So you really got some in-depth knowledge of this co-host stars. One week he had John Lennon & Yoko Ono, awesome. Douglas was just was a really nice guy. Does anyone here remember his hit song, "The Man In My Little Girl's Life"?

Dinah Shore was at the top of the charts in the 40's with her great vocal charm and talent. Unfortunately she lost her vocal talents when she had her late afternoon talk show and it was extremely painful listening to her trying to sing. But Shore still had her trademark warmth and kindness. She also had some great 70's music on her talk show and always put her guests at ease.

Now for Merv. His claim to fame before his TV stint was as a small time band singer with Freddy Martin. One hit for him, I've Got A loverly Bunch of Coconuts!!lol
Seriously though, Merv was the most intellectual of the trio of talk show hosts. He was famous for adding politicians and writers to his talk show mix. but what I remember most about Merv's shows were the many eccentric guest stars he had on his show.

Pamela Mason the wife of the great actor James Mason comes to mind.
The Gabors- both Zsa Zsa and beautiful Eva. Kinda kooky though!
Aliza Kashi who's trademark welcome was "Hello, peoples!" She would keep Merv in stitches, breaking him up with her fractured English and then she would break his heart with her singing. I recall she was very talented and very sexy.
And then there was Jack & Reiko, a very funny husband and wife team.
And yes one more team Marty Allen & Steve Rossi, I'm cracking up just thinking about them.

RIP peace Mr. Griffin, Ms. Shore and Mr. Douglas. There will never be the likes of you three talk show compadres ever again.:eusa_clap

683680.jpg

Tony Danza was the last to try to resurrect the old style daytime TV talk show. He was on ABC for two years but fell victim to poor ratings and just didn't fit the demographics. I enjoyed his shtick even if he couldn't hold a candle to the mighty trio. He ended his show last year with a tribute to Bobby Darin and sang "The Curtain Falls". I must admit this brought some tears to the Prairie Dog's eyes.

Here are the lyrics to The Curtain Falls.
I think they have a very appropriate place here.

Off comes the makeup, off comes the clown's disguise
The curtain's falling, the music softly dies
But I hope you're smiling as you're filing out the door
As they say in this biz that's all there is, there isn't any more

We've shared our moment, and as the moment ends
I've got a funny feeling we're parting now as friends
Your cheers and laughter will linger
After they've torn down these dusty walls

If I had this to do again
And the evening were new again
I would spend it with you again
But now the curtain falls

People say I was made for this
Nothing else would I trade for this
And just think I get paid for this
Good night, Ladies and Gentlemen and God love you.

Good night Merv Griffin and God love you!:)

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I was walking out of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Museum yesterday and I saw a table announcing his death and there was a condolencse book. I signed it. He was from San Mateo, CA where I now work. A very talented man.

Hondo

One Too Many
I did everything you said except for the milk & cake lol
Like wise I enjoyed Mike Douglas the best, he was hip before hip was in.
I watch the whole week with John Lennon, Dinah Shore was okay but I felt she belonged to the ladies afternoon club set, not my cup of tea, but I thought of her as wonderful even her singing, Merv & Arthur Treacher were the best times as far as I can recall, sign of the times, R.I.P. Mike :(

Prairie Dog said:
I use to watch the mighty trio of TV talk hosts Merv, Mike And Dinah! when I got home from school every afternoon along with my glass of milk and piece of cake. Their shows introduced me to the great legends of the stage and screen.

To me Mike Douglas was the best. He had one star as a co-host for the entire week. So you really got some in-depth knowledge of this co-host stars. One week he had John Lennon & Yoko Ono, awesome. Douglas was just was a really nice guy. Does anyone here remember his hit song, "The Man In My Little Girl's Life"?

Dinah Shore was at the top of the charts in the 40's with her great vocal charm and talent. Unfortunately she lost her vocal talents when she had her late afternoon talk show and it was extremely painful listening to her trying to sing. But Shore still had her trademark warmth and kindness. She also had some great 70's music on her talk show and always put her guests at ease.

Now for Merv. His claim to fame before his TV stint was as a small time band singer with Freddy Martin. One hit for him, I've Got A loverly Bunch of Coconuts!!lol
Seriously though, Merv was the most intellectual of the trio of talk show hosts. He was famous for adding politicians and writers to his talk show mix. but what I remember most about Merv's shows were the many eccentric guest stars he had on his show.

Pamela Mason the wife of the great actor James Mason comes to mind.
The Gabors- both Zsa Zsa and beautiful Eva. Kinda kooky though!
Aliza Kashi who's trademark welcome was "Hello, peoples!" She would keep Merv in stitches, breaking him up with her fractured English and then she would break his heart with her singing. I recall she was very talented and very sexy.
And then there was Jack & Reiko, a very funny husband and wife team.
And yes one more team Marty Allen & Steve Rossi, I'm cracking up just thinking about them.

RIP peace Mr. Griffin, Ms. Shore and Mr. Douglas. There will never be the likes of you three talk show compadres ever again.:eusa_clap

Tony Danza was the last to try to resurrect the old style daytime TV talk show. He was on ABC for two years but fell victim to poor ratings and just didn't fit the demographics. I enjoyed his shtick even if he couldn't hold a candle to the mighty trio. He ended his show last year with a tribute to Bobby Darin and sang "The Curtain Falls". I must admit this brought some tears to the Prairie Dog's eyes.

Here are the lyrics to The Curtain Falls.
I think they have a very appropriate place here.

Off comes the makeup, off comes the clown's disguise
The curtain's falling, the music softly dies
But I hope you're smiling as you're filing out the door
As they say in this biz that's all there is, there isn't any more

We've shared our moment, and as the moment ends
I've got a funny feeling we're parting now as friends
Your cheers and laughter will linger
After they've torn down these dusty walls

If I had this to do again
And the evening were new again
I would spend it with you again
But now the curtain falls

People say I was made for this
Nothing else would I trade for this
And just think I get paid for this
Good night, Ladies and Gentlemen and God love you.

Good night Merv Griffin and God love you!:)

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I also read in the paper last week that he donated $250,000 to San Mateo Union High School last year to pay for the schools Performing Arts Center. That really impressed me that someone with all that wealth and fame would have a couple hours out of his life to attend a public school assembly and personally hand the check over.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen