Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mervin Wave Clips

clubwitsend

Practically Family
hair117t.jpg

So...I've just bought some of these fabulous-looking vintage Mervin wave clips...and I'm wondering if any of you out there have the same ones, and what kind of results you've gotten??? I just haven't had the time to try them out yet, and I'm curious if they give great results or if they just LOOK great. :)

Thanks, all!

crazydaisy

Practically Family
texasgirl has some, i've some pics a while ago in one of the hair threads
also lauren i think has some, see thread about show us your hair sets and results

xitsvivx

Familiar Face
these seem so hard to come across. I have a few, but not enough for a full head, or full face frame. Ive only given them a try once, but never took pics.
I wish I could find more

clubwitsend

Practically Family
Yeah, they are hard to come across...I have six, and a short bob...so I'm hoping that's enough...although I have to admit, since I have such an easy hairstyle (and have had it forever), I feel pretty useless at really 'styling' hair!

I think I can cover my head with six, but I wonder about that pesky little back section that will be left....I don't want it to just be drooping there!

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
clubwitsend said:
Yeah, they are hard to come across...I have six, and a short bob...so I'm hoping that's enough...although I have to admit, since I have such an easy hairstyle (and have had it forever), I feel pretty useless at really 'styling' hair!

I think I can cover my head with six, but I wonder about that pesky little back section that will be left....I don't want it to just be drooping there!

I only have 3, and I had the idea of finding 2 more. Honestly, I can do a really great look with just the 3, they seem to cover a lot of real estate! I have a mid length layered bob. I put 2 on one side and 1 on the other. Then curl the back and bottom edges with small or rag curlers. I think texasgirl has a picture somewhere of some similar arrangement.

texasgirl

One Too Many
I have six too and it seems to work out great. I use 5 around my face and one in back, crown area. Here's some pictures, and be sure to post some when you use them. :) Be sure to press them down to the scalp. Take your time putting them in. And I just use rollers around the bottom and in back for a more 30s look.

ry3D4802.jpg

ry3D480.jpg

ry3D4801.jpg

Here's the only pictures I have from doing a set, I think I actually used all six in the front on this one, but now prefer the 5 to 1 ratio :)
IMG_2410.jpg

IMG_2413-1.jpg

clubwitsend

Practically Family
Thanks, texasgirl! Those pics are great!! And yes, I'm going to have to take a lot of time practicing, I think. My challenge will be that I have bangs, and how to get those to behave doing a wave:

4235800781_c82d38f265_m.jpg

I hope they stay in place! I have shorter hair as well...I hope it comes out as lovely as yours!! How long do you set yours with these clips, out of curiosity?

texasgirl

One Too Many
I sit under the dryer for about 30 minutes. And I still haven't gotten any Lottabody. I just use hair gel. The bangs may be challenging, but I bet if they fell down it would be cute, like little spit curls :) Here's the last set I did with them that came out good. I have more bangs here and part in the front kinda came down. And this one one I used the small hot rollers- tight curls- rather than the sponge rollers.

flapper.jpg

flapper2.jpg

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
Love this set.
witsend, I have bangs too. I've either kept the bangs and waved most of them, but just let them fall down, they look best if their ends are curled somehow. Or I've pommaded them into the wave. Not as successful, but I'm working on it.
A vintage hairstyling book might also deal with bangs, sometimes I've seen them in tiny floofy curls?

texasgirl said:
I sit under the dryer for about 30 minutes. And I still haven't gotten any Lottabody. I just use hair gel. The bangs may be challenging, but I bet if they fell down it would be cute, like little spit curls :) Here's the last set I did with them that came out good. I have more bangs here and part in the front kinda came down. And this one one I used the small hot rollers- tight curls- rather than the sponge rollers.

flapper.jpg

flapper2.jpg

clubwitsend

Practically Family
thanks for all of the help, everyone! i just ordered a vintage dryer to sit under :)

It's strange that I've been into vintage for so long, but with my haircut, I've done absolutely nothing with setting my hair!

jetgirl

One of the Regulars
clubwitsend said:
thanks for all of the help, everyone! i just ordered a vintage dryer to sit under :)

It's strange that I've been into vintage for so long, but with my haircut, I've done absolutely nothing with setting my hair!

This board does lend itself to encouraging one to acquire new things I've noticed. lol
witsend, if your hair is all one length, a' la Louise Brooks, it will be a tad harder to set. My hair is layered as I believe texasgirl's is.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
INSPIRATIONAL!!!!

Love the do, TexasGirl! I must work on this now that my hair is the right length!
I don;t have those clips but I have a crazy thing called "the Jackey" that works on the same principle, but you don't leave it in, you just use it to drag the hair onto place then add clips to hold it. So you only need the one gizmo instead of a head full of them.

I will try to take some pictures!

clubwitsend

Practically Family
Attempt Day 1!

Okay...so here's what my hair looks like right now...I feel like its a bit 'crispier' than I'd like....although when I tried it the first time, I tried to brush it a little bit, and it poofed out like a big crimped mess! So I washed it again and then tried a second time...still a bit crispy, but better:

4280049403_d555a35be0_m.jpg
4280049489_8e7e342aff_m.jpg

Its hard to see cos my hair is black, though! Haha.

My hair is fine and straight...I want a bouncier look like you have, Texasgirl, but I also don't have a lot of length to work with!

I tried diluting my Lottabody even more the second time to make it less crispy/molded...and as the night goes on and dries completely, it feels better...but we'll see! I might try it again tomorrow later on so I can wear it to work on Monday!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland