Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Milan Mania

Thanks, Harv! That's actually the neighbor's.

But come on up!! The photo of the top of the Borsa was taken on our deck. Couldn't build this close to the water now...

Last edited:

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Charlie, you need a soul patch. That hat and a little spot of hair under your lower lip would make you look like a jazz cat.

A

I think I can grow one of those, given pa-lenty of time, but does anyone remember the 1960's false mustache fad? That approach might be better for me...

I couldn't wait long to post this one... another favorite. They're ALL favorites while on my head! The Cavanagh Milan in the spirit of Benny Goodman, who may also be one of my all-time favorites. The man hung a mean clarinet. A typical Cavanagh marketing ploy in many of their ads, (a ploy which is still being used by lots of marketeers, just updated) check out the name inside the hat, on the sweatband.

Very nice!

Brad once noted that the gray milan sported prominently by Frank Sinatra and found in most hat maker's style book in the 1950s, was also a Cavanagh.

Thanks, Alan! Truly the hats of the stars.

The small print on the lower portion of the ad says "...Name the top three men in any field, and two of them most likely wear a Cavanagh." Frank and Benny certainly qualified. Wonder what the other guy was wearing...

Last edited:

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Well jhe888, that's a loaded question because the meaning of "decent" is totally subjective. The fact is, real milan is extremely rare now. As far as I know only Art and Optimo can source it. All the modern "milan" hats are woven from substitute fibers, some natural and some synthetic. I have a modern natural hemp "milan" and while decent, can't match the softness and flexibility of genuine milan. I've handled some other modern synthetic "milan" hats that frankly feel like plastic hats. In MY opinion, the answer to your question is no.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Is there anyone out there making a decent Milan now, other than the custom makers?

No I have a lot of Milan's as I am not a fan of the flopy nature of Panama's brims. The New ones are just too tight machine weave hats. I know that the hemp weaved ones from Winchester are done by ladies that have been sewing them for years but they are so tight they do not breath much. Art's milan is just wonderful and I have been wearing it a lot this summer. I pull out the plastic modern ones when there is a chance of rain.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I recently purchased a Stetson Renaissance, which was advertised as a Milan weave. Would anyone happen to know if it's straw or plastic? I really like the hat anyway but want to know so that I can either worry about it in case of rain or not. And by the way, I'm hoping for delivery of my first VS hat today, a Milan straw. I must say that I'm pretty excited.

jhe888

One of the Regulars
Thanks.

I have a Biltmore made in Canada that I think is some natural fiber, and I would consider it "decent." It is flexible and breathes. I have a newer Biltmore from Texas and it is obviously plastic. It is super light and airy, but it doesn't feel right, either on the head or in the hands. It isn't awful, but the word I'd use is "acceptable."

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
It's about time to start thinking about straw hat weather again so here's a bump. My new vintage Champ milan, body from the Lounge, finished by BLack Sheep Hat Works. Soft and squishy body, the good stuff. Could not be happier with the result

Bob made the pug from hand dyed ribbon, excuse the focus

Inside is nice too, freestyle ventilation punching

The little ribbon and lacing are blue too

See the light

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto