Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Milan Mania

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Mike
Outstanding Milan
all the bells & whistles
the sweat punching looks like a Orchid in bloom
& as you state "Soft & Squishy" is nice for the body
che

konadog

Practically Family
terrific hat, mike. i might be in the market soon for a squishy milan and will hit you up for advice again. been getting a lot of use out of my Optimo milan with the warm CA weather, but the Optimo ain't squishy.

Kinda surprised to hear the Optimo isn't soft, supposed to be the real deal milan.

I wondered about that, too. And (as they say in Brooklyn) you know from Milans, Mike. I picked up a couple of "beauts" over the winter. Just waiting for a break in the cold. Soon.... be still, my heart!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
They're squishy with wear. I think Graham puts a little too much stiffener in them, but some people like their hat to stay perfectly blocked. I get my hands wet and shape the brim differently every time I wear either of mine.

-but it might also have to do with tightness of stitches attaching the strips together - one of my Optimos has the tiniest bit more space between the braided strips and it's decidedly squishier. squishiest milan i've ever had wasn't a milan, it was this lee hemp number
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?30949-Milan-Mania&p=834763&viewfull=1#post834763
I played basketball in a storm once while wearing it. It flopped straight down after a while and took further beatings for a few years until I finally tossed it, along with all of it's charming holes and tears. Want something with character? Quit coddling it and wear it.

Last edited:

konadog

Practically Family
yeah, my Optimo has a lot of stiffener in it. the brim initially became very soft and i couldn't get it to lay down in front. so i sprayed some Bick stiffener to it and now it lays perfectly. that being said, i like the hat firm and well blocked. no complaints here.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
All this has me a bit puzzled. I got my VS Milan last year, and it's my favorite straw by far. But squishy? Not at all, and I wear it maybe four days a week.

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
Mike, that Black Sheep refurb is a beaut. I love the bold color of the pug.

My Optimo milan has a relatively stiff crown, but the brim is very pliable. I never really thought about it, but I guess a good dousing in water would probably soften things up.

My Optimo panama is like a linen hankie: very squishy. I love 'em both and in Shanghai's summer heat, they get a lot of wear.

I'd like to get another milan, but my next straw hat purchase will likely be a boater.

Summer bump with today's wear.

071615_1.jpg

071615_2.jpg

071615_3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points