Milan Mania

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Not-Bogart13, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Altiori

Altiori Familiar Face

IMG_0580.JPG

2. Altiori

Altiori Familiar Face

I know this is an old thread; I've been on and off the Lounge myself these past few months. I am listing a Milan I received today from Art. I posted the same photo on the VS thread earlier today. The hat is beautiful. I also have a Biltmore cream colored porkpie Milan which is also quite fun. The weather in Savannah is always warm, mostly pleasant but not always. My Felts from when I lived in the Northern Virginia area are not used much here in The Hostess City. Straw is my future.

tropicalbob, Redfokker and FedOregon like this.
  3. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

I didn't realize this was old thread until just now: I was going to alert the OP to Art Fawcett's Milans, of which I have two, and then I saw the comments and photo above. As far as I know, Art's the only maker using the real Milan straw. I haven't seen anything else that even comes close to it, and the best thing I find about mine is that they age beautifully, darkening to a golden brown and creating a striped effect.

4. tropicalbob

tropicalbob My Mail is Forwarded Here

I also just noticed your buddy there behind the table. He's either considering a future in alcoholism or your straw as a food source. Either way, he bears watching. Btw, I visited your city a few years back and really admired it. Cheers.

5. mikespens

mikespens Call Me a Cab

Optimo also offers genuine milan weaves. There is also a more current and extensive milan thread:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/milan-mania.30949/

6. hatsRme

hatsRme I'll Lock Up

We're ready, David!

FedOregon likes this.
  7. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

HAHAHA!

FedOregon, hatsRme and Bamaboots like this.
  8. Altiori

Altiori Familiar Face

Great note. My buddy is a good friend. He prefers Powers or Redbreast Irish Whiskey (lotsa PotbStill) but drinks Pinot with dinner. Savannah is a beautiful city and welcomes you and other hat lovers. Come with your VS and/or Optimo straws.....suitable at least ten months of the year...the other two are Filson wax coated rain hats.

9. ScionPI2005

ScionPI2005 Call Me a Cab

I was visiting Salzburg, Austria last week, and picked up a new Milan while there. It is a Mayser, which is a company I was unfamiliar with before my visit. I was attracted to the color style of this one, and couldn't pass it up.

IMG_2777.JPG

10. konadog

konadog A-List Customer

a friend of mine bought my son a milan to match my Optimo. here's my boy on his Easter egg hunt today...
    Easter17-8.jpg

11. Redfokker

Redfokker

Looks like he got one! That mini milan is just a hoot. He wears it well!

12. DJH

DJH I'll Lock Up

Here ya go (sorry for the slight delay )

[​IMG][​IMG]

The little Disney sticker fell out some time back and I seem to have lost it when we moved.

Cheers!
    David

13. RJR

RJR

Hat-PB Milan 2.jpg
    Peters Bros hemp.

14. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck Call Me a Cab

I just got one myself. Garage sale find. No idea about it at all. Leather sweatband states Southland Hats on the left, Western Texas Wear High Quality on the right and 10x made in Mexico on the front. It's a nice pork pie western number. Tried steaming it while in the shower and it didn't soften at all. Probably synthetic.
    Johnny

FedOregon likes this.
  15. carouselvic

carouselvic I'll Lock Up

Newt at the Royal
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. humanshoes

humanshoes Vendor

I've posted these pics in the "Photos of Hatter's Tools" thread already due to the acquisition of the Willcox & Gibbs straw braid sewing machine, but this also seems an appropriate thread for posting. I must admit that I have never been too keen on Milan or other types of straw braid hats, until, of course, I decided to learn to make them. Now it's turned in to something of an obsession. Imagine that, a hat guy with an obsession. Well, here are my first two efforts. The first is a natural Milan straw "Downton Abbey" type hat for a lady friend who will use a silk scarf for the hatband for a turn of the century style. The other is a natural hemp braid in tobacco brown just for me. The learning curve to make these hats is steep and I definitely have a newfound appreciation for the craftsmanship involved in their manufacture.
    Straw Hat Adventure 005.JPG Straw Hat Adventure 017.JPG

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  17. mikespens

mikespens Call Me a Cab

Congrats humanshoes, you've joined a rare club of hat makers. Impressive machine and results

KarlCrow, RJR, alanfgag and 1 other person like this.
  18. humanshoes

humanshoes Vendor

Thanks Mike. Perhaps someday I'll take my hat off long enough to have my head examined.

KarlCrow likes this.
  19. johnnycanuck

johnnycanuck Call Me a Cab

Forgot to post a picture of mine[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. moehawk

moehawk I'll Lock Up

I saw this Brent pop up on Etsy last Saturday morn, just had to hit the buy button. No wembling, no waiting for questions to be answered, etc., because at 20 dollars plus 8 and change to ship, I knew it wouldn't last long. Arrived today. Had a wonky brim that an ironing on my flange cured, and a dry sweat that responded well to a liberal slathering of Lexol. Other than that, in great shape.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The innards:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Brim 2 1/2", crown 4 1/2" as creased. 114g.
    A fairly fine braid for a house brand.

[​IMG]

And a head shot.

[​IMG]

I'm going to make a guess of mid 50's. Any input welcomed as usual.