Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Milan Mania

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Black Knox.....

KnoxStraw1.jpg
KnoxStraw2.jpg

KnoxStraw003.jpg
KnoxStraw005.jpg

GWD

One Too Many
New Dobbs Stingy Milan

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

This is an extremely well made hat, I'm impressed by how tight the weave is.

I'm thinking about replacing the ribbon with a puggaree, what do you think?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
GWD said:
This is an extremely well made hat, I'm impressed by how tight the weave is.

I'm thinking about replacing the ribbon with a puggaree, what do you think?

I like the ribbon, you don't see them as much.

carldelo

One Too Many
A classic

That ribbon is pretty special, particularly with the matching brim binding - you asked, so I have to say 'if it ain't broke, please don't fix it...'

GWD

One Too Many
You sold me, it just looks a bit formal to me with the ribbon I was thinking about "casualing" it down a little.

I'll leave well enough alone.

Thanks for the opinions.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi,

I know contemporary Milan straw hats are not the quality they used to be, but I hope I may be allowed to include images of my modern Stetson Andover:

DSC_0044.jpg

As you see, is a bicolour, black brim with grey crown (they have it in cocoa/sand, too). Provides good scope for combination with wardrobe. The ribbon could have benefitted form a better design in colour choice and combination, in my opinion, but still look good.

Regards!

Torpedo

One Too Many
By the way...

Is it possible to "relax" the curve that happens on these Milans when the front brim is snapped down? With water and "massaging" perhaps? I mean, in order to avoid the "bump" that forms, this is visible in the attached photo.

Profile.jpg

Any ideas?

Regards,

Daniel

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Torpedo said:
Hi,

I know contemporary Milan straw hats are not the quality they used to be, but I hope I may be allowed to include images of my modern Stetson Andover:

DSC_0044.jpg

As you see, is a bicolour, black brim with grey crown (they have it in cocoa/sand, too). Provides good scope for combination with wardrobe. The ribbon could have benefitted form a better design in colour choice and combination, in my opinion, but still look good.

Regards!
That's a nice looking hat!:eusa_clap

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Torpedo said:
Hi,

Regards!

For a modern milan, the Stetson Andover looks great! And you wear it well, Torpedo!

RBH

Bartender
Torpedo said:
By the way...

Is it possible to "relax" the curve that happens on these Milans when the front brim is snapped down? With water and "massaging" perhaps? I mean, in order to avoid the "bump" that forms, this is visible in the attached photo.

Profile.jpg

Any ideas?

Regards,

Daniel

I do not normally do this with any of my hats... but with the milan I sometimes let them sit brim side down on the table [overnight].
By morning the brim is flat and takes the snap without the little bump.
I do this every so often as a little 'tune up'. In fact I rested my new Miller milan that way to straighten out the brim some.
Altought I wet my milans to shape them I have not wet the brim and did my tune up. Thinking about it it should work, maybe next time I will try it that way.
I will also treat it with some type of water repellent when I finish putting the shape to it.

Torpedo

One Too Many
RBH said:
I do not normally do this with any of my hats... but with the milan I sometimes let them sit brim side down on the table [overnight].
By morning the brim is flat and takes the snap without the little bump.

Hi,

Looks like it's worth a try before I go with the water method. Should I turn down the brim all around, or just leave it as I wear it (front snapped down, rear up) on the table?

And, thank you all for the comments! :)

Regards,

Daniel

RBH

Bartender
Torpedo said:
Hi,

Looks like it's worth a try before I go with the water method. Should I turn down the brim all around, or just leave it as I wear it (front snapped down, rear up) on the table?

And, thank you all for the comments! :)

Regards,

Daniel
I have done it both ways. If you can get the back of the brim like you want I would leave it turned up.
Good Luck!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
RBH said:
I am not a big homburg fan... but WOW DMan... I like the looks of that one.
Do you no longer have it?

No, I sold it off before leaving for college. It was a great style, really neat looking, but the quality was pretty lousy- a cheap-o, made originally for one season of wear, probably. The sweatband was hard pleather, and the overall fit was strange, it wasn't really too small, but it just didn't seat properly. But I did get a good deal of wear out of it this past summer.

You think of the homburg as a more formal hat, but this one was just the opposite, very casual, very schlumpy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk