Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Milan Porkpie to 20's/30's Style Tall Center Dent

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I know, I know. I should just put these pictures in the "Milan Mania" thread, but I wanted to show people who steer clear from Milan porkpies, that much can be done with some simple blocks, flanges, and a little elbow grease.

Here's a couple caveats that I wanted to state before recommending that anyone try this:

Check that........

1) The hat is actually MILAN STRAW and not Polypropylene plastic.

2) The straw isn't dry rotted or cracked/broken in any way.

3) The straw isn't too faded inside the porkpie crease. (It wont look right if the hat is re-blocked with a fade line)

4) You have have flange at hand. As soon as steam hits these real Milans, the brim goes crazy, very quick. I would say that a
flange is almost a must here.

5) The crown has enough material for the block that you have chosen. If you pop out the 4 1/8 inch tall porkpie (just for example) and realize that you will only get an inch out of the porkpie crease, don't choose a 6 inch block. Choose a block that's going to give you the crown height that you desire without stressing the milan. You can always remove the sweatband and reblock the hat to a much taller crown, but you will loose brim width and the straw might be faded. If you like tall crowns like I do, choose a Milan porkpie with straight sides and a very deep porkpie crease. That way you will probably have enough room in the crown.

That being said, here it is....

The hat that came in from ebay was a BEAUTIFUL Milan Tall porkpie. Its a Late 40's/Early 50's Ecuadorian Panama Hat Company Milan. This hat honestly has some of the BEST Milan straw I have EVER seen. I have seen the ones at Optimo, and this is on par or better.

This is how it started....

DSC07111.jpg

DSC07107.jpg

DSC07106.jpg

DSC07108.jpg

DSC07110.jpg

DSC07113.jpg

DSC07114.jpg

DSC07116.jpg

DSC07119.jpg

DSC07115.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
cont.....

DSC07121.jpg

DSC07122.jpg

With the pug off....

DSC07128.jpg

with the block in the hat

DSC07129.jpg

I used a very old Size 7 block that is marked 6 on the bottom. Its not marked 52, actually it has no profile number, but this block is the quintensential 52. It has the straightest sides and flatest top of any block I have ever seen. Its litterally almost a rectangle.

Inside crown after the re-block

DSC07131.jpg

Block out of the hat

DSC07132.jpg

DSC07134.jpg

DSC07135.jpg

I then decided to go with a classic 2 1/8 inch black ribbon from a NOS spool of 1930's ribbon that I have.

DSC07136.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I was going for a 19-teen's, early 20's look and after studying numberous pictures on the lounge of early straws, I decided on going with a large winged bow to copy the early 1900's straw styles. It the rear of the bow it has frayed ends and the front isn't tacked down tight. The bow has a loose effect which was common in the early straws. I tacked the bow down obviously, but its not pulled taut, which is a look that I love.

Here it is......

DSC07138.jpg

DSC07140.jpg

DSC07145.jpg

DSC07146.jpg

DSC07153.jpg

DSC07148.jpg

DSC07149.jpg

DSC07154.jpg

DSC07144.jpg

DSC07151.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Nicely done Josh! Took the reblock very well. That milan straw has excellent color.

B

Thanks so much, Bill!! I was shocked to see the rich Golden color when I pulled it from the box. The auction pictures were pretty washed out. I've messed around with some cheap Milan's before and they usually have a hard time taking the re-block. This hat softened up with very little steam and within 10 seconds, it set up again. There truly is a major difference between "good" Milan straw and "OK" Milan straw.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Josh, thats an fantastic job. The results looks very good and I am very impressed how well did you do that.
A very good tutorial.

Josh the Hatter! Very nice, impressive. How's it look on your head?

Thanks, Gentlemen!! I don't have any heads shots yet, but I will take one soon. I finished the hat at 4am this morning, so what I was wearing really didn't go with the look of the hat. LOL.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Josh, did you try just wetting the milan first without using steam? I wonder if it would have blocked fine with just a dunking. I blocked a buntal with just water and it worked fine.

B

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Josh, you continue to amaze me. GREAT work!
I tried popping the pie out of one of my Milans awhile back, and gave up immediately... didn't want to press the issue-- but you have given me new hope!
By the way your bow work is magnificent.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
:eusa_clapMan! That came out real nice there !
I think ill have Art make my next Milan like this.....
More Pics please so we can see how the high crown looks on the head.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Josh I just had a porkie Crankie Frankie cleaned and resized and blocked as a Fedora with the original pug at Optimo. Turned out a treat but that colour is awesome.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Josh, Great job!

Josh, I will take one in 7 3/8's

Very impressive!!

Yeah, what Alan said!

Josh, you continue to amaze me. GREAT work!
I tried popping the pie out of one of my Milans awhile back, and gave up immediately... didn't want to press the issue-- but you have given me new hope!
By the way your bow work is magnificent.

That came out real nice there !
I think ill have Art make my next Milan like this.....
More Pics please so we can see how the high crown looks on the head.

Josh I just had a porkie Crankie Frankie cleaned and resized and blocked as a Fedora with the original pug at Optimo. Turned out a treat but that colour is awesome.

I am impressed! I too will take one, a 7 would be purrrrrfect. Nicely done.

WOW!!! Thanks SO much for all the wonderful compliments, everyone!!!! It really means a lot to me. Ed & Jerrea, if I find a couple more milans like this in 7 and 7 3/8, I will keep you guys in mind.

I love the way this hat came out, its my favorite straw hat to date. Its exactly what I had envisioned in my head. I love the early Straws but they are very hard to find, and usually are not in the best shape. So I figured, why not make my own...

Josh, did you try just wetting the milan first without using steam? I wonder if it would have blocked fine with just a dunking. I blocked a buntal with just water and it worked fine.
B

Bill, for this one I just used steam and it responded so incredibly well. With some of the lesser quality milans that I have toyed around with, I have used water, steam, and a total hot water soaking. The most effective way that I have seen is with just a spritz of water and steam.

....How's it look on your head?

Great job Josh!!!
I look forward to seeing it on!

Here's a couple pics....

UP BRIM

DSC07157.jpg

DSC07158.jpg

DSC07159.jpg

Down Brim

DSC07161.jpg

DSC07166.jpg

DSC07163.jpg

DSC07172.jpg

Sephia

DSC07180.jpg

DSC07176.jpg

DSC07178.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
A bit late to the party - Josh, congrats on this first-rate conversion job! The new crown shape is awesome, and what's more, it works extremely well for you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner