Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military experiences.

RebeccaDoll

Familiar Face
Private in Canadian Air Reserve, in North Bay, where the NORAD underground is located (just a deep, deep hole now since they brought it above ground..:( .)

I HATE my uniform, miss the old ones, the really old ones! Currently we are in terrible green relish, cheap jumpsuits, I envy the Americans posted here in Canada, even there fatigues look better than ours.

Tragically, we have photos and posters from the WW1 and 2 all around us, and all the ladies look wonderful with curled hair and red lipstick, let alone the name skirt they got to where. Well, almost all, there are a few photo's of military ladies in issued stockings and 'glamour boots', they ugliest and biggist combat boots I have ever seen.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
MisterCairo said:
Rebecca,

agreed, what is it with the airforce going "army" in order to look "operational"??? Don't they know they can be seen wearing CADPAT in garrison?

I did two years in the ROCC, 1989-1991. The bus ride down was fun while it lasted.

I think it's the stark green of our CADPAT that looks odd when compared with the US army version (they copied us). They've gone with a standard greyish-blue, whereas we have the neon green (temperate forest) and tan (desert). Our tans look good.

Thankfully I'm in Ottawa, so it's blues all the way.

Yeah, the U.S. Marine Corps and Army followed your lead (the CADPAT). I never cared much for BDUs, preferred the DCUs we wore in Iraq. ACUs have their fans and detracters, but I'll say this, they do blend in well to their surroundings.

Story

I'll Lock Up
Fashion attire for Fort Living Room

Widebrim said:
ACUs have their fans and detracters, but I'll say this, they do blend in well to their surroundings.

Depends on the environment you're in, no?
domicilecamo.jpg

ACUs are 'optimized', in that they're the Army's typical catch-all answer.

In North America, at night in the dark scary woods, I've found ACUs stand out compared to BDUs. During this last go-around to Baghdad, the guys who had worn DCUs during their previous deployments generally despised the ACUs.

RebeccaDoll

Familiar Face
The CADPAT has its place, but I wish it was not on me - North Bay used to allow the blues and everyone wore them - we are an air force base afterall, we were ordered to switch over to the CADPAT, I can't even wear my Dress Unifrom without permission - even when I had to get my potrait redone. Terrible green. The CADPAT looks awful for office attire, I'm a RMS clerk. Too Army. I envy you in Ottawa Mistercairo, hold onto the blues as long as you can - they look professional and clean, and best of all don't fade after 10 washes. I swear my pants are nearly white now.

Widebrim, I actually didn't know the US copied the CADPAT, what was I thinking.

Story - Ha! For a good few seconds I was trying to figure out why you were photographing your couch, very nice.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Story said:
Depends on the environment you're in, no?
domicilecamo.jpg

ACUs are 'optimized', in that they're the Army's typical catch-all answer.

In North America, at night in the dark scary woods, I've found ACUs stand out compared to BDUs. During this last go-around to Baghdad, the guys who had worn DCUs during their previous deployments generally despised the ACUs.

Well, I was speaking about them blending in over in Iraq; I didn't think that they would fit in the desert scenario, but they somehow did. However, I'm glad that we were part of the last rotation to wear DCUs, since they just "look" better. The problem is that the U.S. Army is (especially now) so large, that it constantly seeks "catch-all" solutions in order to keep cost down, hence the idea of ACUs as a one-size-fits-all solution.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like(d) the woodland MARPats, did well up here (Southcentral Alaska) for summer.

In our ad hoc side-by-side comparisons they beat BDUs hands down.

Opas Coat

Familiar Face
409 TFS Cold Lake Alberta... Been in for three years now with 22 to go

We just had Maple Flag, There were allot of other uniform around.

I don't mind the American ones I just wonder why the USAF "cad pat" needs to be grey, and whats with the ball cap? and what exactly are you blending in to?

I can understand its easier and cheaper to keep a standard uniform that many. My dad been in for a wile, I think that of all the tan DEU's look best of all.

How did you manage to shoot yourself???

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
Deployed

Hello fellow Loungers!
I've not posted is quite some time, but have lurked now and then.
After college (BA in Music Ed and Performance) in 1992, I served in the Army Band as a Trombonist. My family and I were stationed in Germany; Berlin (1993-95) and Bamberg (1995-97). I traveled extensively throughout Europe and three of my nine children were borne there. Then we went to Ft. Benning, GA and Ft. Hood, TX. Promotions were slow at the time so I applied to Navy Officer Candidate School. I was accepted and was commissioned an Ensign in the Surface Warfare community in 2000. I have been stationed on the USS SUPPLY (AOE-6), USS NASHVILLE (LPD-13), USS WASP (LHD-1), USS GUNSTON HALL (LSD-44) and now on the USS BATAAN (LHD-5). I'm now a Lieutenant (putting on Lieutenant Commander soon) currently deployed and I wish I could tell you where. This may be my last deployment. It's my eighth (3 Army, 5 Navy) and it's time to let the younger ones have a chance (I can retire in 3 years).
I'll read all the other posts when I have more bandwidth. I'll post my adventures in the travel section when I return.
Cheers,
LT Eric W. Sisco, USN
siscoe@lhd5.navy.mil

Story

I'll Lock Up
Widebrim said:
Well, I was speaking about them blending in over in Iraq; I didn't think that they would fit in the desert scenario, but they somehow did.

I vacilate on their camoflaugity, somehow I think I clashed with my surroundings. CPT Obvious in a sandstorm, April 2009
CPTSpaulding32.jpg

Vintage moment : yes, that's a 1940 K-98 Mauser. Yes, I did get it papered and lugged it all the way back home for the BN museum.

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
OH MY GOD!!!!! Story that is AWESOME!!! I saw your pic...then I looked at the rifle...and then I saw saw the barrel bands...and the bolt handle and then the note underneath. Wow. I heard about them having M24 Chaffees over there...and some of the militants running around with WWII weapons..MG42s and what not.

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
Widebrim said:
Any more FLers with military background? How about the ladies?

Im sure theres a few others..

I joined HMF in 1993 in our Territorial Army RTC (transport corp) as a chef so on passing out became ACC (Army Catering Corps) which two weeks later became part of the Royal Logistics Corp along with the RTC under the same badge,
Left and rejoined in 1995 with an Infantry regiment (8LI) but as RLC ...ive been a fully qualified chef since 18yr old, and my quals were reconised and needed![huh]
stayed T.A (same as your reserve ) for 2yrs but did several tours with Regular Army Units till 1997 when transfered to regular full time Army,
Served in Bosnia, Northern Ireland (1997),Germany, Norway, Kosava and Cyprus left 4yrs ago to "settle" with now ex after a lot of medical probs....wish id never left!!:eusa_doh:

Djupis

One of the Regulars
I recently finished my one year of military service in the Royal Norwegian Navy. Interesting year and learned a lot.

Might stay on for a few more years, but I really don't know what to do [huh] Probably I will start studies and see how that goes, or I might rejoin either as an enlisted or perhaps go for officer.

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
Djupis said:
I recently finished my one year of military service in the Royal Norwegian Navy. Interesting year and learned a lot.

Might stay on for a few more years, but I really don't know what to do [huh] Probably I will start studies and see how that goes, or I might rejoin either as an enlisted or perhaps go for officer.

i was in Norway Lucky enough to start in Oslo and go by ship up the coast..! Great place..Beautiful with really friendly/helpful people. x love to go back
You have National service there, i think it should be brought back here(UK)
:eusa_clap

Djupis

One of the Regulars
tempestbella42 said:
i was in Norway Lucky enough to start in Oslo and go by ship up the coast..! Great place..Beautiful with really friendly/helpful people. x love to go back
You have National service there, i think it should be brought back here(UK)
:eusa_clap

That is a great tour. You should try hiking in the mountains as well, great scenery.

We do yes, but it's only around 1/3 of us that get's drafted after the obligatory tests and health checks you have when you are around 18 years.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Story said:
I vacilate on their camoflaugity, somehow I think I clashed with my surroundings. CPT Obvious in a sandstorm, April 2009
CPTSpaulding32.jpg

Vintage moment : yes, that's a 1940 K-98 Mauser. Yes, I did get it papered and lugged it all the way back home for the BN museum.

I don't think you clashed at all, at least not in that surrounding. NICE score on the Mauser; I didn't see anything like that in Iraq, just a lot of AKs. Were you OEF?

El Guapo

New in Town
There are some military on this board I didn't think there would be, that's pretty cool.

I have been in the Marines for 11 years. I'm a C-130 Engine, Propeller, and Fuel Systems mechanic.

I was going to post pics but looks like I cant. I don't do photobucket, myspace or anything like that. It's kind of stupid but whatever.

PistolPete1969

One of the Regulars
US Navy active duty 1987-1989.

Active Navy Reserve 1989-1992

Served aboard USS Nimitz (CVN-68) as a flight deck crewman from April 1988-September 1989. 19 months aboard, @ 4 months in port.

I did get to go on a "WestPac" cruise; Hawaii (twice) , Alaska, Thailand, Hong Kong, Singapore, the Phillipines (twice), Korea, all over California. had a great time, but didn't take many pictures.

Pete

JerseyMutt

New in Town
Active duty Air Force. 28 Apr 99 - Present. Currently a Technical Sergeant (E-6) assigned to Shaw (stands for Stay Here AWhile) AFB in SC where I've been stuck...err...proudly serving :rolleyes: for the last 5 years. Prior to that I did year stints in Korea and NJ and 2 years on the beautiful island of Okinawa. I've also made short trips to Jordan, Oman, Quatar and UAE.

I'm a network and crypto maintenance guy by trade, but have done a little bit everything in the gamut of military communications.

Djupis

One of the Regulars
JerseyMutt said:
I'm a network and crypto maintenance guy by trade, but have done a little bit everything in the gamut of military communications.

Communications is the only way to go ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner