Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military experiences.

Djupis said:
Communications is the only way to go ;)
Until you're stuck repairing a field-telephone line under fire... which brings to mind a story about George Patton and a lineman up on a pole in North Africa.

Patton: "Isn't your position dangerous?"
Lineman: "Yes sir, but the wire's gotta be fixed!"
Patton: "Doesn't the German fire bother you?"
Lineman: "No sir, but you sure as hell do!"
lol

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Diamondback said:
Until you're stuck repairing a field-telephone line under fire... which brings to mind a story about George Patton and a lineman up on a pole in North Africa.

Patton: "Isn't your position dangerous?"
Lineman: "Yes sir, but the wire's gotta be fixed!"
Patton: "Doesn't the German fire bother you?"
Lineman: "No sir, but you sure as hell do!"
lol

And knowing something about Patton, he probably got a (private) chuckle out of it.

Story

I'll Lock Up
JerseyMutt said:
When it comes to communicating amongst our selves, commo folks are the worst. ;)

rofl.gif

LARGE

ORANGE

DRINK

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Yeah, I was in the army. Here ya go. I am seated all the way to the right, second row. Red circle around me, I raccoon'd all the other faces.

550891035_L2AE2-S.jpg

Miss Vixen

New in Town
I served in the United States Marine Corps from 1990-1994. I worked in S1 and the adjutants office. My husband is still active duty Marine, 13 years under his belt, going for 20.

Semper Fi!

Miss Vixen

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
My fiancé is a Corporal in the CDN Forces Reserves, Lorne Scots Regiment, B. Coy, Brampton.

n607970330_1162762_7809.jpg

I love this photo - Infantry life is so captured by his facial expression.

sfend002

Familiar Face
"My grandmother was 78,
She did side straddle hops through the pearly gates"

"My grandmother was 79,
She had ole JC doubling time"

My favorites.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
C-dot said:
My fiancé is a Corporal in the CDN Forces Reserves, Lorne Scots Regiment, B. Coy, Brampton.

n607970330_1162762_7809.jpg

I love this photo - Infantry life is so captured by his facial expression.

I was in A Coy Oakville in the early 1990s, small world!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I don't have any photos from my time in the army, not because it was so secret that we were not allowed to take any photos.
It was just so boring, that nobody bothered...lol

rosierawhyde

New in Town
US Air Force 2000-2004

I never left the States. Was in Biloxi, North Dakota and Vegas and was Air Traffic Control my first half, extended and went into Electronic Warfare.

WW2WaltUSMC

New in Town
Active duty Air Force. 28 Apr 99 - Present. Currently a Technical Sergeant (E-6) assigned to Shaw (stands for Stay Here AWhile) AFB in SC where I've been stuck...err...proudly serving for the last 5 years. Prior to that I did year stints in Korea and NJ and 2 years on the beautiful island of Okinawa. I've also made short trips to Jordan, Oman, Quatar and UAE.
Osan or Kunsan, JerseyMutt? I am Active Duty US Marine Corps, 3 years and 4 months of proud service. I was in Korea for a year as well, down in Pohang. Since I came back Ive been aboard MCAS New River. 6541, Aviation Ordnance. If You Aint ORDNANCE, You Aint Shit! It takes one bad motherf***er to act like this!

Roving_Bohemian

One of the Regulars
While never actually a member of the armed forces I have many relatives throughout the various branches and I have a great appreciation for what you do. I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank all of you brave men and women for the service you have done and are doing to protect this country and all that it stands for.

Aristaeus

A-List Customer
U.S.N. active duty from 1984 to 1988, as a Radioman onboard U.S.S. Estocin FFG-15.

071503.jpg

Reserves from 1989 to 2001, then recalled after 9/11.
Served active duty from 2001 to 2003 at NAS Fallon NV (Top Gun) as military police.

JWS34

New in Town
I went down to Fort Benning 1987 as 11c (mortar crewman) at the age of 17. After school I went active duty USAF and was stationed at Myrtle Beach AFB from 1989 to 1992. I came home after Desert Storm

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
I was a grunt stationed at Ft. Lewis WA from 89 to 92 with the 9th Infantry.

I love my wife and kids, but sometimes I wish I never got out.... However I remember they were asking for volunteers for "peace keeping missions" in Bosnia and Somalia. I know some of the guys were interested, but I had a very VERY bad feeling when we heard more about it.

Shortly after I got home, I remember seeing that pic of one of our rangers being dragged through the streets in Somalia. Something told me right then and there that that could have been me.

Sure I'd be retired by now, but not if I was dead!

Cheers to all those that have served and put up with the best and the worst times we'll ever enjoy and regret at the same time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner