Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military experiences.

RichardH

One of the Regulars
I did my compulsory service in the Norwegian army in 2008 (I was 20yrs old then) , I served as a mortarman in an armoured battalion. Best damn year of my life without a doubt. Right now, I'm about to start college, but to tell you the truth, I'm much more motivated to re-enlist. So I might re-enlist next year, and apply for OCS some time in the future. Civilian life is just too boring! :p

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Joined the Navy in 1997 and I am still in. I have been stationed in Florida, Rhode Island, Hawaii, Texas, California, Guam and now Virginia. Over all I have enjoyed it. It has its good days and bad. More good than bad, otherwise I would not still be in. The people I work with are top notch. I do not look forward to the day that I have to get a civilian job. Everyone that I talk to that has gotten out says that it is an eye opener.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I do not have any military experience, but one of my top choices for my life after graduation would be to audition for the navy chorus (The Sea Chanters).

Renault

One Too Many
Just a peacetime Reserve Marine grunt. '75-'81....... Nothing to write home about..... Except this one time on a ADT Med cruise and we pulled Cinderella libbo in Athens and.................;)

Renault

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
Joined the Navy in 1997 and I am still in. I have been stationed in Florida, Rhode Island, Hawaii, Texas, California, Guam and now Virginia. Over all I have enjoyed it. It has its good days and bad. More good than bad, otherwise I would not still be in. The people I work with are top notch. I do not look forward to the day that I have to get a civilian job. Everyone that I talk to that has gotten out says that it is an eye opener.
Then don't do it Treetop. Find a way to stay in or in some way attached. Be it a civilian contract job or something like that. To be honest, the worst part of it is that you will never NEVER find the loyalty and cohesion that you find in the military. Sure there's always a $hitbag who will sandbag and slack-off. But in the civilian world, there are few places where people are willing to pull together and instead look for the first opportunity to step on fingers or stab someone in the back. Unfortunately it tends to be about the dollar sign rather then loyalty and dedication. Even in law enforcement, which I thought would be the last frontier for loyalty and dedication. Even here we have those who will drop dime and eat their own, if it means a promotion.

But all that aside, way to hang in there and do your time. Your service is appreciated!

Rats Riley

A-List Customer
I do not have any military experience, but one of my top choices for my life after graduation would be to audition for the navy chorus (The Sea Chanters).
That is actually really sharp!

And don't ever let some ape talk trash about it! You have a talent so use it!

SgtRick

One of the Regulars
Joined the Marines in 1980 as an Aviation Ordnanceman. Was assigned to VMA 214, the Blacksheep when we were still flying A4's. Found out I could shoot and shot my way onto the Marine Corps Pistol Team and was stationed in Quantico, VA. Went Distinguished with the pistol in 1986. Shot on the team for a couple years and went to the Reserves to shot for them for a couple more years. Did the normal WestPac tours as so on. Enjoyed having Uncle Sam support my very expensive habit of shooting.

scooter

Practically Family
USMC 1972-1994, retired a 1st Sgt with 3rd Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment, Camp LeJeune, North Carolina. Served everywhere from Israel to Korea, Norway, England, Egypt, Turkey, Spain, France, Japan, Philippines, Okinawa, Portugal, Tunisia. Did a couple Med cruises on the JFK, did a North Atlantic crossing on the Guadalcanal. Cross country skied through Norway and climbed mountains in Korea. Was aboard the Kennedy when we shot down the Libyan jets in the late 80's, was sent off station Beirut when Terry Waite was kidnapped. 3 tours in the Far East, but other than that it was a slow 21 years.

JimWagner

Practically Family
US Navy 1965-1969, aircrew on P2V-7 Neptunes and later on P3-B Orions hunting Russian subs all over the North Atlantic. Was based first in Norfolk, VA and then the squadron moved to Pax River, MD after getting the P3's. Deployed twice to Kevflavik, Iceland with side trips to the Azores, Puerto Rico, Key West and the Virgin Islands.

adouglasmhor

Familiar Face
British Army Royal Corps of Signals 1984-1991, Telegraphist and stores accountant by trade.
Yorkshire for Basic and trade
Germany for cold war drunkenness and endless manouvres
Belize short attachment
Cyprus short tour
Northern Ireland - you can guess so I will spare the war stories

Doc Smith

Familiar Face
I was in the USAF from 1984-1986, stateside the whole time (McGuire AFB in NJ after basic and advanced training). Learned a trade (aircraft machinist), a little discipline, and that people who wouldn't settle down to doing problem sets and studying for exams could end up cold and/or bored for extensive periods of time. Did me a world of good when I went back to school.

Str8Jacket

New in Town
1999 - 2006 US Army Reserve, Combat Medic; Leonard Wood E 1/48, Sam Houston C 232 Med Bn, 303d MP Co, TF Gitmo 2002-2003

2007 - Present USMC Active, 0651 Data, Sgt; MAG-31, MEB G-6 2D MEB Afghanistan 2009

amador

A-List Customer
On the way out of the service, I had to sign a paper stating that I would not disclose what I did for 81 years. I noted out loud that 81 years seemed like an odd number for silence. The SP4 said "Just sign the papers Sir." Well I have 70 years to go. I hope I make it half way.

amador

A-List Customer
In a way you also served, as a member of a Military Family. Service members are Sailors, Soldiers, Airmen and are willing to stand in the line of fire. This is a burden on their loved ones. Thank You.

BigFitz

Practically Family
USMC-'85-'89. Wanted to work on aircraft so I "picked" hydraulics. My honest recruiter (so I thought) had me put aircraft maintenance on my enlistment papers. Young, naive me trusted him to guide me in the direction I wanted to go and I ended up a parachute rigger, which is a very lucrative skill to have in civilian life. The only person I blame for this outcome is myself and was one of the lessons I learned in the military, get exactly what you want in writing.

"A" school Lakehurst, NJ, three years stationed in Tustin CA. in various helicopter squadrons where they have lots of parachutes, and 6 months WESTPAC on the USS Belleau Wood where I visited the Philipines, Okinawa, Korea, Hong Kong, Hawaii and Sydney and Brisbane Austrailia.

All in all, no regrets and I'm glad I did it.

samtemporary

One of the Regulars
USMCR from 1991 to 1998. Boot camp at Parris Island (1st Bn), MOS school and MCT at Camp Lejeune, then a drilling reservist with Co. D, 8th TkBn, Eastover SC through college (USC Columbia), and finally AT TOW Plt/Tank Plt, 8th TkBn, Miami, FL through law school. After 9/11, it took me a while to talk my wife into letting me re-enlist, and in 2005 I re-enlisted in the USMCR, assigned to 4th ANGLICO, West Palm Beach, FL. In 2008 my contract was up, and I enlisted with the USNR - just different side of the same reserve center (NOSC West Palm Beach, FL). My only deployment was to GTMO in 2008. Had a great time, drank a lot, and learned to scuba dive. Still serving and looking forward to retirement in 6 years!

mdove

Familiar Face
AD from '67-'69. Had the opportunity to carry an M-60 machine gun. I was the smallest guy in the squad. Got out in '69 and had a small break in service 'til '84. Joined the Guard for tuition waiver program. ARMY NATIONAL GUARD from '84-2008. Combat Engineer in the Guard. No deployments. Instructor for the last 10 years of my career. Taught Instructor Training Courses, NCO Development Courses and Accelerated OCS. It was my privilege, honor and pleasure to serve as long as I did. I retired at age 61 and was the oldest soldier in the OH ARNG when I retired.

Thanks to all for your service and welcome home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points