Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military Types: What's this?

I picked up a shirt recently. Has a definite military feel to it. What thinks ye?

ArmyShirt1.jpg
ArmyShirt2.jpg

Breast pocket closeup. And some writing on the inside of the collar area.

ArmyShirt3.jpg
ArmyShirt4.jpg

Has two buttons under the back of collar. What are these for? Also has an extra piece of material (lighter shade in pic) on the inside of the front, which buttons over to the three buttons on the inside of the other side.

ArmyShirt5.jpg
ArmyShirt6.jpg

Any help identifying would be much appreciated ...

bk

tallyho

One of the Regulars
It appears to be an army enlisted man's shirt. the flap on the inside is a modification called an anti gas flap. theses were added to improve resistance to gas attacks. the collar is called a convertible collar, meaning it could be worn closed with a tie or open.

I do not know what the buttons on the back of the collar are for.

jeep44

One of the Regulars
That appears to be a US WW2 army shirt.Foreign shirts would not have a size tag in inches like that. They had gas flaps like that,and the two buttons on the collar were for attaching the gas hood-a fabric hood that went over the head while wearing a gas mask.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Looks like WW2 era. That is a gas flap in the front and the fabric looks like WW2 era. The buttons on the back of the collar may very well be just extras, like the kind that are usually attached to a shirt's tail.

tallyho

One of the Regulars
jeep44 said:
the two buttons on the collar were for attaching the gas hood-a fabric hood that went over the head while wearing a gas mask.
I thought that might be what they were for but I didnt want to give out bad info. the reason a shirt like this has a gas flap is because early in the war this was part of the field uniform. it was later replaced by much better items such as HBT and the 1943 combat outfit.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
jeep44 said:
That appears to be a US WW2 army shirt.Foreign shirts would not have a size tag in inches like that. They had gas flaps like that,and the two buttons on the collar were for attaching the gas hood-a fabric hood that went over the head while wearing a gas mask.

Yeah, okay. That makes sense. Would this be the type of shirt issued to chemical corps soldiers?

tallyho

One of the Regulars
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Would this be the type of shirt issued to chemical corps soldiers?

this type of thing was done to all clothing. it was even done to the pant flys. it looks like this particular shirt had the flap added since it looks like a different or newer shade of kahki. flaps were added until supplies of purpose made items became available. in the nomenclature tags, itmes that had gas flaps usuallly had the word "special" added after the type description. sometimes you will find these flaps cut out since they were annoying and the threat of gas attack was diminishing.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
tallyho said:
this type of thing was done to all clothing. it was even done to the pant flys.

I've had khakis with those and never thought to ask why. Makes sense, I can make a short list of places I'd prefer to keep free from mustard or any other gasses, that'd be near the top.

jeep44

One of the Regulars
Here is a photo of the gas mask in use,with the gas hood. The two buttons in back held the hood in place when worn,or ready, hanging in back like a sweatshirt hood.
I have a number of those wool shirts with the gas flaps,and trousers,too. The HBT uniforms had them,too.
SC180798t.jpg

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Without looking at the other responses, looks like an unusual contract pattern WWII US Army enlisted work khaki shirt with a gas flap and provisions for a hood.

*edit*

Incidentally, modern uniforms(BDUs) have a 'mosquito flap' in the trouser fly. None in the shirts, however. Whether or not it's *actually* to prevent mosquitos from getting into your nether regions is debatable.

It's a pity, but there is a linen tag (in addition to the size tag) from which all information has been obliterated by time. No help there. Thanks for all the replys. Very helpful. I love this shirt. It fits me perfectly.

btw. someone asked if it felt like cotton. Yes, it feels just like sanforized cotton, though a little thicker than your standard dress shirt (as would be expected for military wear. I'd guess 100% cotton.

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt