Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Military 'woolly pully' sweaters

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Wore a commando beneath a black field jacket for casual dress day yesterday.
Of note the commando is designed to allow heat to escape its wool, which keeps a soldier warm
but not so snug as to excessively sweat with active movement. My Irish fisherman keeps me snug as a bug in a rug,
wonderful for a commute or stroll but the military woolen is ideally suited for its intended purpose.
Makes my admiration for this product all the more appreciative.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Wore a commando beneath a black field jacket for casual dress day yesterday.
Of note the commando is designed to allow heat to escape its wool, which keeps a soldier warm
but not so snug as to excessively sweat with active movement. My Irish fisherman keeps me snug as a bug in a rug,
wonderful for a commute or stroll but the military woolen is ideally suited for its intended purpose.
Makes my admiration for this product all the more appreciative.

Couldn't agree more with that!

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Re: Outdoor Knitwear. I have their -15% offer and am thinking of replacing one of my RAF WPs, which is more worn out than Peacoat’s Navy sweater. I’m thinking of getting one size larger than usual as I have noticed that the newer WPs are smaller and tighter than before. I haven’t put on weight - in fact I have shed a few pounds!

Have others noticed this? I have a feeling Steve might have mentioned it?

Goel

A-List Customer
Looking at the other sweaters I think the camo one fits differently. The arms and body are a bit baggy and taper down to a narrow opening. The other look slim all the way down (that's how my North Sea Clothing commando sweater fits as well). I'm willing to give OKW another try but I wonder if there is a way to tame that itchyness, as even with an undershirt it's quite agitating. Though it might just be another peculiarity of camo wool too.

I really wish someone would do a merino Woolly Pully. I know Triple Aught Design does, but I tried it and while it's nice it's not $300 nice. I really hate the zipper too.

Last edited:

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I really wish someone would do a merino Woolly Pully. I know Triple Aught Design does, but I tried it and while it's nice it's not $300 nice. I really hate the zipper too.

LL Bean has a civilian take on the wooly pully in merino wool. I have two, they're really good sweaters, and really cheap for merino wool.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/43324?page=commando-sweater-crewneck

They also have it in a henley style, which is what I have.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/43323?page=commando-sweater-henley

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Spent some time viewing Royal Marine Commando School YouTube video episodes last evening.
Most impressive; especially noncommissioned drill cadre turned out in woolies, stick, and topped
by the green beret of the commandos. Shirt collar outside with chervron, RMC tab sewn shoulder/arm.
Quite professional sartorial style made all the more indelible by the OD woolie pulley sweater.:)

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Spent some time viewing Royal Marine Commando School YouTube video episodes last evening.
Most impressive; especially noncommissioned drill cadre turned out in woolies, stick, and topped
by the green beret of the commandos. Shirt collar outside with chervron, RMC tab sewn shoulder/arm.
Quite professional sartorial style made all the more indelible by the OD woolie pulley sweater.:)

Thank you for that, I shall have to have a look later. Always good to see woolly pullies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB